2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Left turn signal and Daytime/Parking lamp malfunction

02-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #23
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by anc4 View Post
i replaced the control module on both headlights, purchased new aftermarket modules, do i need to code them? how?
Maybe research before you just buy stuff next time… since they are NEW they NEED TO BE PROGRAMMED
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 07:06 PM   #24
MikeB71
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW 535d RHD

try the cable connections in the wheel well

Hi all.

I had this "left indicator fast flash with a few error messages" problem on my F10 535d too recently. The problem didn't occur every time I started the car so I figured it was likely to be an electrical connection problem rather than a component failure.

If you turn your steering wheel hard left and look in the wheel well, you'll see a small plastic cable junction box at the front of the wheel well near the top. From the box's location, I figured it contained the headlight wiring, so I opened it up and discovered it had a fair bit of dirt in it.

There are two sets of plug/socket connectors in this box. If you lever up the plastic spring catch near the left end of the plugs with a small screwdriver you can pull the connectors apart.

Each plug/socket pair has a couple of tiny pins and sockets inside. I gave the connectors a good spray with WD40 to clean them (although electrical terminal cleaning spray would probably be better), let them dry and put everything back together. So far, the warnings haven't come back.

It has been one of the wettest years on record here, so I guess I've been driving through a lot of puddles lately. Strangely, one end of the plug connectors seems to be well sealed, but the other end looks like it might be possible for water to get into the plug under some circumstances (eg. wet weather driving or going through a car wash).

I'm not sure if the lack of effective seal is a design fault or if the sealing material has come off at some stage. Both plugs look the same, so it may be a design problem.

Now it's all dry and working again, I will put a couple of small pieces of electrical heat shrink over the poorly sealed cable entries in the plugs and hopefully this problem won't return.

Luckily for me, it took about 15 minutes to fix and cost nothing. There was no need to jack up the car or take off the wheel either, which was a bonus.

Hopefully this works for you too before you go buying new parts and taking the car half apart to put them in. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 03:16 PM   #25
Swordsman
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i, 2017 X3, 2003 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveje View Post
Hate to revive an old thread but the "Left turn signal and Daytime/Parking lamp malfunction" comes and goes on my 12 528i. Very sporadic, I can clear it and it'll eventually come back, all lights and markers work up until the error then hyper flash until I turn car off and restart. With lights and markers working would this be a module? and if so would ne1 know a part number and re initialize procedure? I have some software.. Thanks,

800FC7
Raw code: 800FC7
ECU: Central module (in driver's footwell) (FRM)
Status: Test failed, Test failed (current drive cycle), Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear

============7==============
800FD0
Raw code: 800FD0
ECU: Central module (in driver's footwell) (FRM)
Status: Test failed, Test failed (current drive cycle), Pending, Confirmed, Test failed since last DTC clear
Did you resolve this? I'm getting 800F46 and a fast flashing left turn signal.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #26
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Has anyone with this issue actually looked at the turn indicator bulb (if you have an incandescent bulb setup)?

Also, swap the right & left bulb to see if the fast blinking switches sides...if it does...then the culprit is the bulb.

If the bulb has two filaments (one high watt filament for turn indicators & emergency flashing...and one low watt filament for parking lights)...if one of the filaments is burnt out or has broken contact on one end...the control module can adjust the remaining filament. This can give the false impression that the bulb is okay if you are just looking at it from the exterior.

You have to physically check the incandescent bulb to make sure one of the filaments isn't broken or burnt out.

If you have the LED headlamps that don't have any incandescent bulbs...then this is a moot point. But if you have the HID headlights that have an incandescent turn indicator/parking light bulb...then you need to physically check the bulb.

Again, if you have the HID headlamps...#4 in the diagram below is an incandescent bulb (a PY24W bulb):

Here's a pic of the PY24W bulb below:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-01-2023 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 02:30 PM   #27
rssazn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern321 View Post
I had exactly the same issue with the mine, BMW had to replace the Headlamp ECU on that side, same issue water damage.
If you don't mind sharing, what the did the dealership charge you?
Appreciate 0