2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications **WARNING** Bootmod3 OTS Stage 2 map, blown motor N63TU (twice)

04-08-2022, 05:52 PM   #23
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 550i xdrive

bump... with dyno

Name:  Dynograph.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  307.3 KB

BM3 OTS stage 2 (Car is xdrive)

Thoughts on this and/or the log from the prior post?

Last edited by Bitchn5ive; 04-08-2022 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 06:07 PM   #24
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
It could be your fuel pump not delivering not enough fuel for hard acceleration with a tune but enough for normal driving so it doesn't throw a code for stock map and is safe to drive.
I didn't do anything re: the in tank pump though. It has been suggested that I look into replacing it with an M5/M6 pump and controller. I wonder if that could have a positive impact because the event still recurred after the HPFP's so maybe they aren't getting the fuel they need. I'm not well versed in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 08:31 AM   #25
BettyFkinCrocker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i RWD

I'll be the first to say that the OTS for the N63TU specifically is garbage. OTS in general aren't great, but for the N63TU they have a history of being terrible. I also know of a few people that have had blown N63s seemingly due to their tune. I'm not sure of the most recent revisions(because I went custom asap after learning about the flaws of their OTS), but earlier versions of the tune targeted boost levels above what the factory tmap can read. This of course caused unmetered boost, extremely high IATs, detonation etc.

I have PAGES of conversation history from Halim, Dzenan etc going back and forth about their tune and what they need to fix on both my car and another N63TU owner that I met when I started digging. The current e30 OTS was even developed on my car. I of course wont be posting them here so don't bother asking.

I also wouldn't be all that surprised if many people who have had issues have been blocked/banned. BM3 has a history of blocking/kicking/banning people that disagree with them or call them out for wrong doing. I personally have been banned from their IG just for asking about questionable dyno numbers. I know many others across other platforms (facebook etc) that have been kicked for similar scenarios. Even the most reputable/relevant tuners for N63 have been kicked from the BM3 Facebook group. I wouldn't be surprised if I get banned from this forum (as I am sure they are a sponsor) after this post lol. Someone screen cap this so if this post goes missing you have proof

With all that being said, scored cylinder walls is an awkward conclusion if the tune was the culprit. Cracked rings, bent rods, spun bearings would all make sense. Scored cylinder walls, not so much. Not that it isn't possible. If injector dwell time was through the roof or something of that nature, and the cylinder walls were getting washed constantly then maybe. Its more likely the scoring was caused from the rings getting blown out and that would also be why there was no compression. Did they look at the pistons/rings at all?
1/4: 10.90@128
60-130: 7.43
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #26
MatthewLC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitchn5ive View Post
Attachment 2855127

BM3 OTS stage 2 (Car is xdrive)

Thoughts on this and/or the log from the prior post?
If this is the dyno sheet from your car, I would remove this tune ASAP. That is a hell of a lot of torque being made down low. That's the exact type of scenario that will cause you to blow up an engine.

From what I've read online the M5 guys don't like to go above 600wtq to avoid bending connecting rods. The N63 has weaker connecting rods, so one can assume it shouldn't go above that level either!

With regards to scored cylinder walls; based off this dyno I don't think the OTS map is "bad" but the amount of power being requested by the tune is what's "bad" (I'm going to assume it makes peak boost right at that torque spike)! If it's making that much torque at such a low rpm, you could have very likely bent a connecting rod. With the connecting rod bent the piston wont sit straight in the bore and the rod will force the piston into the cylinder wall and cause scoring.

If the tune was unsafe via timing or IAT and caused detonation, you typically see it on the piston first (either pitting or broken ring lands like already mentioned). The piston would have to get so bad, like melting the side of it off, that it would destroy the cylinder wall.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2022, 12:29 AM   #27
aumazdelete
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535 xi

surprised someone would try it a second time after the first failed engine lol
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:12 PM   #28
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyFkinCrocker View Post
With all that being said, scored cylinder walls is an awkward conclusion if the tune was the culprit. Cracked rings, bent rods, spun bearings would all make sense. Scored cylinder walls, not so much. Not that it isn't possible. If injector dwell time was through the roof or something of that nature, and the cylinder walls were getting washed constantly then maybe. Its more likely the scoring was caused from the rings getting blown out and that would also be why there was no compression. Did they look at the pistons/rings at all?
It was the service department at the dealership who told me that. They claim to have seen scoring of the cylinder wall via borescope. They thought a bad injector caused over fueling and suspected the scoring occurred at start up. They presented that theory as their "best guess". They also told me that it was only one cylinder on both motors that wouldn't hold compression and no further info was given. Based on this theory, they approved all 8 injectors to be replaced which isn't typical for a short block replacement (so I was told).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:17 PM   #29
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLC View Post
If this is the dyno sheet from your car, I would remove this tune ASAP. That is a hell of a lot of torque being made down low. That's the exact type of scenario that will cause you to blow up an engine.

With regards to scored cylinder walls; based off this dyno I don't think the OTS map is "bad" but the amount of power being requested by the tune is what's "bad" (I'm going to assume it makes peak boost right at that torque spike)! If it's making that much torque at such a low rpm, you could have very likely bent a connecting rod. With the connecting rod bent the piston wont sit straight in the bore and the rod will force the piston into the cylinder wall and cause scoring.

If the tune was unsafe via timing or IAT and caused detonation, you typically see it on the piston first (either pitting or broken ring lands like already mentioned). The piston would have to get so bad, like melting the side of it off, that it would destroy the cylinder wall.
Yes, this was the dyno produced by the OTS stage 2 map.

Appreciate your feedback and theory! Makes sense to me. Yes, far too much torque but I didn't know that then. Had to learn that one the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 10:22 PM   #30
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaz_ View Post
surprised someone would try it a second time after the first failed engine lol
Torque will make you do crazy things!
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #31
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

"N63TU is such and unreliable engine! I am very careful and never abused the car. All I did is added DPs, BM3 Stage 2 tune, and WOT at every stop light. And now my engine is blown and I don't know what happened? This engine is crap!"

- I don't know how many threads I read that start like that…
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 11:51 PM   #32
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmark View Post
"N63TU is such and unreliable engine! I am very careful and never abused the car. All I did is added DPs, BM3 Stage 2 tune, and WOT at every stop light. And now my engine is blown and I don't know what happened? This engine is crap!"

- I don't know how many threads I read that start like that…
While that is a shame to hear, that isn't what this thread referenced. Honestly, I haven't seen any of those myself but a bummer nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 10:29 AM   #33
walmark
Apprentice
Rep

Here is another candidate that will soon be complaining about how unreliable N63TU is and how it threw a rod for no reason…

Issues with BM3 "knocking" https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921141
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 11:49 PM   #34
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Here is another candidate that will soon be complaining about how unreliable N63TU is and how it threw a rod for no reason…

Issues with BM3 "knocking" https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921141
When you post this in the thread I started, referring to "another candidate", it seems you've once again missed my point. I wasn't, nor do I think was the OP of the thread you referenced, taking any issue with the motor. We are taking issue with Bootmod3.

I did not once suggest the motor is unreliable nor did I act as if my engine failure happened for no reason or as a result of it operating in its stock form.

These threads are posted to gain assistance that can't be had from bootmod3 and/or for others to see what some peoples' experience has been like. Nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 06:12 AM   #35
walmark
Apprentice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitchn5ive View Post
Quote:

When you post this in the thread I started, referring to "another candidate", it seems you've once again missed my point. I wasn't, nor do I think was the OP of the thread you referenced, taking any issue with the motor. We are taking issue with Bootmod3.

I did not once suggest the motor is unreliable nor did I act as if my engine failure happened for no reason or as a result of it operating in its stock form.

These threads are posted to gain assistance that can't be had from bootmod3 and/or for others to see what some peoples' experience has been like. Nothing more.
Sorry, I didn't mean to accuse you of anything. I was simply restating that most of reliability concerns about these engines comes from the fact that people tune them to failure and are then surprised. Your thread is another example of what a cheap tune can do to an engine, that's all. His is similar. I know you did not complain about N63TU in general.
It is not the best engine in the world of course, but it's much better than people give it credit for when left alone and properly maintained.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #36
Bitchn5ive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to accuse you of anything. I was simply restating that most of reliability concerns about these engines comes from the fact that people tune them to failure and are then surprised. Your thread is another example of what a cheap tune can do to an engine, that's all. His is similar. I know you did not complain about N63TU in general.
It is not the best engine in the world of course, but it's much better than people give it credit for when left alone and properly maintained.
Copy that and thank you for clarifying. I agree with you. From my experience and from my research, this TU motor doesn't have the problems of its earlier version. In fact, I've had no issues with the motor when I leave it stock. I had one crank case vent tube crack. It threw a code, replaced it, nothing else.

Problem is, I just can't leave it stock. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess you could say... and I'm addicted to torque!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #37
BuiltnBoostedZ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix

If any tune is giving you an issue, doesnt matter how small, go back to oem tune and have a tuner do a custom tune or put it on the learning map. I've been building race cars for a very long time. Generic tunes are just that an don't always work well for everyone. Stage 1 map would be as far as I'd go with a generic tune. Real time on a dyno while you look at the data and feel the car under load is the only true way to get a good tune... But you need a good tuner too. I just moved out of Denver. Lived by Coors field. Elevation will affect a tune and should be considered but less so on a boosted car as it creates its own atmosphere.
Appreciate 2
550bye1389.50