2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Wheels and Tires and 2014 550 xDrive M Sport

09-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M Sport

Wheels and Tires and 2014 550 xDrive M Sport

I recently ordered a 2014 550i xDrive with the M Sport package, the luxury package, and the connected drive package from one of the dealerships in Toronto. Obviously, this is a Canadian order.

When ordering the M Sport package (code Z5K), the standard wheels and tires are upgraded to code 2NB, which are the 19" style 351M wheels. When ordering, I did not realize that 2NB put the same wheels (19x8.5) and same tires (245/40 all season run flats) on all four corners. I didn't even think of checking this as my last two 335s with the M Sport package have had staggered wheels and tires, with the tires always being performance tires.

After placing the order, I see from the US ordering guide that, when ordering the 550 with the M Sport package in the US, it can either be ordered with option code 2NB, which is the same as in Canada, or with option code 2ND, which gives a staggered wheel setup (19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.0 in the rear) with different tires (245/40 front and 275/35 rear -- performance run flats).

It does not appear from the Canadian ordering guide that 2ND is available in Canada, but I am wondering if anyone on this forum knows anything about this. It would seem bizarre that they would make people buying the 550 M Sport utilize all season tires and not give a summer rubber option, especially given that even the 3s with the M Sport have the staggered wheel and summer tire setup. I have asked my dealer to look into whether 2ND can be done in Canada, but I am sure that members here will just as much, if not more, insight into this matter.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

Canadian 5 series with x drive have always only been available with 245 width tires on all 4 corners even if you ordered MSport. I too wish we could option the staggered set up that is offered in the US. I think for the US, this may be a new option for 2014 x-drives but I'm just guessing. My 2011 535i and my 2014 535d MSport on order both have the square setup. I'm sure there is some logic behind it, but I can't ever begin to guess what it may be. Even the 750i x-drive non MSport can be had with a staggered setup and PZERO tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Not sure about the 2014s but my US spec'ed 2013 535xi only came with non staggered all season 351M also with the Msport package.
      09-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

After a bit more research (reading prior year US ordering guides), I was able to learn that up until MY2013, the US xDrive F10s with the M Sport package could not be ordered with the staggered setup. I assume that this was true for Canada as well.

Based on the MY2014 US ordering guide, the staggered setup with performance tires (code 2ND) is now available on the 550 xDrive when ordering the M Sport -- at least in the US. The Canadian guide does not list this option as being available.

I spoke a contact I have at BMW Canada today and they are going to look into it. My contact said that if it is available in the US, it should be available in Canada. I would be fine even without the staggered setup if they could put performance tires on the car; I have a tough time accepting all season tires!!

Avimax -- did your 5s come with all season tires or summer tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarry View Post
I recently ordered a 2014 550i xDrive with the M Sport package, the luxury package, and the connected drive package from one of the dealerships in Toronto. Obviously, this is a Canadian order.

When ordering the M Sport package (code Z5K), the standard wheels and tires are upgraded to code 2NB, which are the 19" style 351M wheels. When ordering, I did not realize that 2NB put the same wheels (19x8.5) and same tires (245/40 all season run flats) on all four corners. I didn't even think of checking this as my last two 335s with the M Sport package have had staggered wheels and tires, with the tires always being performance tires.

After placing the order, I see from the US ordering guide that, when ordering the 550 with the M Sport package in the US, it can either be ordered with option code 2NB, which is the same as in Canada, or with option code 2ND, which gives a staggered wheel setup (19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.0 in the rear) with different tires (245/40 front and 275/35 rear -- performance run flats).

It does not appear from the Canadian ordering guide that 2ND is available in Canada, but I am wondering if anyone on this forum knows anything about this. It would seem bizarre that they would make people buying the 550 M Sport utilize all season tires and not give a summer rubber option, especially given that even the 3s with the M Sport have the staggered wheel and summer tire setup. I have asked my dealer to look into whether 2ND can be done in Canada, but I am sure that members here will just as much, if not more, insight into this matter.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Are you referring to the performance RFTs option[vs Allseason RFT's] on 550xi/535xi on M sport?I don't see anywhere that they are a staggered setup.I have a feeling that your dealer might be a better bet considering your query can be answered only by Canadian owners.I guess they want Canadian owners to be at least on All seasons for the winter than on summer tires[for those who don't want to buy winter tires].I hope BMW realizes that winters haven't been that hard anymore up north.BTW aren't winter tires mandatory in the GTA?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

2ND is not available to order in Canada

tires are always A/S RFT

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2235
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthestck View Post
Are you referring to the performance RFTs option[vs Allseason RFT's] on 550xi/535xi on M sport?I don't see anywhere that they are a staggered setup.I have a feeling that your dealer might be a better bet considering your query can be answered only by Canadian owners.I guess they want Canadian owners to be at least on All seasons for the winter than on summer tires[for those who don't want to buy winter tires].I hope BMW realizes that winters haven't been that hard anymore up north.BTW aren't winter tires mandatory in the GTA?
Based on the MY2014 US ordering guide, 2ND is the staggered setup with performance rubber. It is 2NB that is the square setup with all season rubber. Lots of Canadian spec cars are delivered with performance run flats, so it is quite odd that the 550 is only being delivered with all seasons.

Winter tires are not mandatory in Ontario -- only in Quebec as far as I know. I always put winter tires on my cars so I would really want the proper summer setup to get the most out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
2ND is not available to order in Canada

tires are always A/S RFT

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2235
I know that is what the Canadian ordering guide says, but in my discussions with head office this morning, it seems like I may be able to get 2ND put on the car! We shall see how this progresses. My car is an October build so there is lots of time!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

if so, your dealer may consider this as "special order" and $500 charge can be levied. Just be careful on the final sales agreement.

The SA can always say "Yes, you can order it"
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Snarry, my 2011 with sport package (MSport was not yet offered at the time) came with 245-40-19 Goodyear LS2 on all corners, which I switched out to Michelin PSS. I don't know about my 2014 yet, but I'm guessing it will come with the same LS2 tires since I've yet to see an F10 in the GTA area not on LS2s.

I don't think that just because it is available for US cars it should be availabe for Canadian cars is an accurate statement, there is a lot we cannot get here that US customers can get, such as soft close doors, or Individual interior/exterior colours. How about RWD on anything other than a 528i? US gets the option of RWD or AWD, we only get AWD and so we also loose out on the 535i's (previously 550i as well) optional manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Or you can have your dealer work out a deal for you and swap out your new allseason setup with staggered summers.
      09-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #12
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

dealer here in Canada would rather sell you two wider rears (at full MSRP) than working out a deal for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #13
Ballzilla
Tommy Boy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 Msport XDrive

I think in Canada you can only get the A/S ...if you could get the Summer tires, does that increase the speed limiter? taking a guess
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
Snarry, my 2011 with sport package (MSport was not yet offered at the time) came with 245-40-19 Goodyear LS2 on all corners, which I switched out to Michelin PSS. I don't know about my 2014 yet, but I'm guessing it will come with the same LS2 tires since I've yet to see an F10 in the GTA area not on LS2s.

I don't think that just because it is available for US cars it should be availabe for Canadian cars is an accurate statement, there is a lot we cannot get here that US customers can get, such as soft close doors, or Individual interior/exterior colours. How about RWD on anything other than a 528i? US gets the option of RWD or AWD, we only get AWD and so we also loose out on the 535i's (previously 550i as well) optional manual transmission.
Thanks, Avimax.

I understand the logic of "just because you can get it in the US doesn't mean you should be able to get it in Canada", but for something as simple as tires, I strongly believe that they should make it available as it is something that is easily slapped on at the end of the production line. It isn't as big a deal as bringing in all different styles of cars (RWD, 6MT, etc), at least not in my view, which may or may not be correct.

In any event, I am hoping that BMW Canada will be able to amend my order to have the performance tires and staggered setup slapped on my car when built. They seem to think that they will be able to do it!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
dealer here in Canada would rather sell you two wider rears (at full MSRP) than working out a deal for you.
I'm sure they would, but I would never do that. I would need to change not only the rear wheels, but I would also need to swap out all four tires from all season to performance. If dine after delivery at the dealer, I have to imagine that would involve a cost that I would not be willing to swallow.

Hopefully BMW Canada (not the dealer) will be able to pull this together for me. Seems like a shame to be running that beast on all seasons!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #16
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

^ yup ! That's why many of us (earlier owners) have dumped those RF and went ahead to replace with Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Snarry, you are absolutely right, putting on different tires is not a big deal, but in the manufacturing environment, if the "system" is not set up to do it, the smallest change can be as big a deal as any change. Within BMW's ordering/manufacturing system, it may be as simple as a Canadian designated VIN will not accept any non Canadian designated option codes. I've got my fingers crossed for you, let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

And we have a full and final answer: BMW Canada and my dealer have worked together and have advised that for the standard $400 special order fee and a small fee to the dealership, to cover the labour charge of swapping tires, they are placing the staggered wheel and performance tire package (Code 2ND) on my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nice! Since there is a labour cost, I assume this will this be done at the dealer, not the factory? If so, I will request my dealer to do it when my car arrives. Which dealer? Mine's coming from Parkview.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
Nice! Since there is a labour cost, I assume this will this be done at the dealer, not the factory? If so, I will request my dealer to do it when my car arrives. Which dealer? Mine's coming from Parkview.
From what I have been told, due to the fact that my car is already in production, my dealership (Autohaus) will have to order another car with the 2ND package on it (this is where the $400 special order charge comes in), which car will be scheduled to arrive at the same time as my car. When both cars are at the dealership, the dealership will then take the 2ND wheels and tires off the second car that they ordered with the 2ND package and swap them with the 2NB wheels and tires that are delivered with my car. The labour charge is entirely from the dealership as it is having its technicians swap the tires.

When is your delivery set for? Hopefully you will be able to do this, but you will obviously need the dealership to be willing to order another car with the 2ND package on it and make sure that it is delivered in time to take delivery of your car! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #21
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Ah! that special order charge ... plus labor ... that's sounds like around $500 + taxes. IMO. Not worth it as staggered setup really does not have any performance enhancement at all. I guess to each their own.

Anyway, good result.

Last edited by bobblehead; 09-03-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ah! that special order charge ... plus labor ... that's sounds like around $500 + taxes. IMO. Not worth it as staggered setup really does not have any performance enhancement at all. I guess to each their own.

Anyway, good result.

Yeah -- I am expecting about $500 plus HST as the total charge when all is said and done, and I am fine with paying that to get the tires and wheels that I want.

Although the staggered wheels may not offer much enhancement in terms of performance, I feel pretty confident that the change from all season rubber to performance rubber will be noticeable. I haven't driven on all season tires for about 15 years now so perhaps they have come a long way, but when I take a corner on good summer rubber, I feel like I am planted to the ground in a way that I have never felt on all season rubber. I also really like the look of 275s peeking out from the rear of the car!
Appreciate 0