2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Staggered tire size changes question

09-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
BMW4631
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Staggered tire size changes question

Hello Folks,

I have a 2014 550i MSport with the dynamic handling pkg.

I am considering moving away from the RFTs. So the question goes like this:

1/ I currently have the 245/40-19 and 275/35 19 setup with RFTs. Is it possible to change to 245/35-19 and 275/30 19 instead using non RFTs? i find the tire ratio to be a bit too high and affects the road feedback i am receiving from the car.

2/ Does the equivalent non RFT handles better on track from the RFT version of the same tire and size?

Thanks a bunch and sorry if these questions were covered in the past, just couldn't find a quick answer so far.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
mness
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535iM

Pretty much any performance non-RFT will be better than an RFT. What tires do have now? If it was one of the OEM RFTs, none offered by BMW were "performance" tires. My original M-Sport RFTs were Michelin Primacy, which were "touring", summer tires even. I switched to non-RFTs after two months. You generally get better grip, smoother ride, better handling, and quieter with non-RFT. I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and have previously had Pilot Super Sports and Bridgestone Potenza S-04. All were markedly better than the RFTs, the PS4S are the best of the bunch.

Can't answer about the sizing though.
2013 535i M-Sport: Carbon Black with Oyster/Black Dakota, SAT, Driver Assistance Pkg, Premium Pkg, Multi-Contour Heated Seats, Navigation, H/K stereo. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S non-runflats, M5 grille, Painted reflectors from IND.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
yakattack
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mness View Post
Pretty much any performance non-RFT will be better than an RFT. What tires do have now? If it was one of the OEM RFTs, none offered by BMW were "performance" tires. My original M-Sport RFTs were Michelin Primacy, which were "touring", summer tires even. I switched to non-RFTs after two months. You generally get better grip, smoother ride, better handling, and quieter with non-RFT. I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and have previously had Pilot Super Sports and Bridgestone Potenza S-04. All were markedly better than the RFTs, the PS4S are the best of the bunch.

Can't answer about the sizing though.
+1, I had also replaced my worn Primacy with Pilot Sport 4s last year. Good upgrade in my experience as well, would recommend
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
BMW4631
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

I currently have Potenzas RE050A RFT and i’ve been quite surprised by how good they are for run flats. But soon i ll have to change em and will definitely go non run flats this time. But just wondering if i could go with a slightly lower profile since the sidewall need not to be that tall anymore... plus i ll have more feedback and better turn in response with lower profiles...
Appreciate 0