2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Rich's BMW B58 coil conversion kit

06-12-2023, 01:57 AM   #1
jooobi3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive

Rich's BMW B58 coil conversion kit

Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while but here's a review on a product that I recently found that would be an alternative to the Nexsys kit.

This kit is made by a fellow BMW enthusiast but it's very well packaged

Rich's site

The kits includes:
* 3 Coil plates (mount 2 coils each) with threaded standoffs
* 6 Coil boots with unmodified springs
* 6 Pigtail coil connnectors
* 18 shrink solder connectors
* 18 stock style terminals and weather seals
* 1 O2 sensor spacer and screw

It was a little confusing at first because the direction on the site was for the previous version of B58 Eldor coils but no worries Rich was very responsive with all my emails.

Eldor coils conversion

The kit does not include the B58 coils, you will need to purchase your own coils and modify them with the longer coil boots and coil springs that are included. Each coil took about a minute to do once I figure it out.

You will need to slice into your original terminal harness with the included self solder connectors

Here are the final pictures of the product on my engine

Everything fits like they're supposed to I will give another update once
everything is put back in the car with a few thousand on it.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2023, 12:08 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Looks good dude! Thanks for sharing the review
      06-14-2023, 01:58 PM   #3
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Thanks for the review!

If anyone has any questions about the kit just let me know. Note: I also have a kit for the N20 now.

I have a FS thread on the F30 and E90 forums but haven't cross posted it to the F10 side of the world (but I can).

Note that I have a new batch of kits in stock. This batch has anodized black brackets and pigtails that are red/white/brown instead of orange/white/brown.

The N54 kit was developed first and it has orange wires instead of red so I was shipping with orange wires until my batch of red ones arrived. Both orange and red wires give the same amount of spark.

Wires are spliced in because I believe that is the best electrical connector and the least bulk. I have started providing new terminals so that customers can revert to stock coils if desired. The process is to simply cut the wires as close as possible to the original terminal when splicing in the pigtail. If desired the pigtail can then be cut off and then a stock style terminal can be crimped back on to the original wiring. This would only lose 3/8" or so of wiring so it would be nearly impossible to tell that the kit was ever installed...

So far most want the option to go back to stock but I haven't had anyone do it. Either way if supplying some terminals helps people's peace of mind I am happy to provide them.

(my phone did blur the picture a bit, I need to take a new one)

-Rich

Last edited by rbryantaz; 06-14-2023 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0