2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Stuck Cylinder Head (N63TU)

04-30-2024, 01:34 AM   #1
Yol
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M550i

Stuck Cylinder Head (N63TU)

So I recently purchased a 2014 M550i. Currently replacing the timing chains myself. To save time and because of lack of equipment. I’ve kept the engine in the car. I’ve removed all 10 headbolts on the passenger side and the cylinder head moves and I can lift it from the front but it appears to be caught on something on the back side. I can’t see what it’s held down by from underneath and Tech specs tell me I can just yank it out. Any advice would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 01:00 PM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Where are you on this?

I suggest you post this question in the Engine sub-forum. It will get your more views from the people that can help ya :-). You posted this in the Navigation, iDrive, Bluetooth sub-forum :-)

But unfortunately, this is one that no one can really assist without having the car present. We can only give you general hints and advise.

When you say it's stock in the back are you saying the head isn't budging from the block, or is something in the back hitting that it cant lift out? Is the intake manifold still bolted that maybe that's catching?

It could also simply be that there's corrosion on a dowel in the back of the head and that's what has it stuck. If so, you just have to work it and try prying as level as possible with non-metallic prying tools of sort (to not gouch the mating surfaces). Something like the plastic handle of a tool, or the fiberglass handle of a 1lb hammer. Stuff like that.
      05-03-2024, 03:20 AM   #3
Yol
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M550i

I forgot to take off the heat shields 😂. Intakes are still bolted on as there is no space to on bolt them while heads are still in car. Currently. And thanks for letting me know i posted on the wrong forum 🫢!!
Appreciate 0