2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Xhd trans tune?

04-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #133
Surly73
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Interesting...I have BMS pedal tune and still trying to wrap my head around how that would/wouldn't play with the MHD linear option. Sounds like BMS could already be messing up with XHP, although it's felt great to me...
I'm trying to wrap my head around why you'd want MHD linear, then add BMS pedal. (that sounds more confrontational than I intend it to).

Personally, I'd ditch the pedal tune. Making you think your car is faster because 30%->75%? No thanks.

MHD linear is really nice for me. With the stage 1 OTS power gain, I find that the throttle action isn't that much different than stock, just that the last 50% is still even faster. I love it.

I tried xHP tonight - doesn't work properly on my car. A lot of what's in the 2.0 map update (see all that mention of non-DEC cars?) I believe is because of me.

I flashed xHP and I can see their improved shift points (e.g. RPM vs. throttle angle) but every shift is now the slowest, smoothest, mushiest program. Same for D,S,M, and for stage 1/2/3. I *DID* notice that the TC action is much nicer. I did some neighbourhood four way stops on xHP Stage 2 and it "launches" way nicer. No pause-then-lurch etc...

Fortunately a flash back to stock map and I have better shifting again. I didn't have to uninstall xHP altogether. I've contacted them and we'll see what I get. Since it's just the map and not the code, I'm presuming it can get fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #134
ziekxq
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

First, you not supposed to use linear flash option if you have Automatic.
Second, if you have xHP you not suppose to use it either since you are Automatic.

This comes straight from Clemens Muehlbacher from xHP.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #135
ziekxq
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBF10 View Post
So probably recommended to use xhp if you have an actually ecu tune, not a piggy back system then.
Pointless on JB4 because xHP calculates how much line pressure to provide depending on what ECU tells the TCU (based on PSI and torque figures that ECU sends to TCU). With JB4 ECU doesn't know exact PSI as it is fooled.

In my experience, when I had JB4 and installed xHP all I got was drive malfunctions like crazy. Now I am on MHD and its flawless.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #136
burro_blasta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Not confrontational, I hear you.

I got the pedal tune before mhd linear came out. There's plenty of outside thread on the merits and misconceptions of bms/Sprintbooster so I won't digress here and only say I'm in the camp of pedal tune lovahs.

That being said, I'm going to play with linear and turn off the pedal tune and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #137
Surly73
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
First, you not supposed to use linear flash option if you have Automatic.
Second, if you have xHP you not suppose to use it either since you are Automatic.

This comes straight from Clemens Muehlbacher from xHP.
Is that response for me?

I'm not understanding it at all. I've seen nothing from MHD saying linear is MT only. MHD asks you at the outset what trans option (8AT, 8AT with torque limit workarounds, MT/xHP) and still offers linear.

I've been in communication with Clemens too (for months). He says my issue encountered last night is because I retrofitted paddles by VO coding 2TB and because I'm lacking a DEC switch that's not a condition for a factory car. On the other hand, the factory trans mapping works fine with decently fast shifts in M. I will be coding my 2TB back to 205 to explore how whether that's a fix.

At the moment, linear throttle is working great pre-xHP. I notice nothing undesirable with factory transmission firmware and maps. We'll see what happens if/when I get xHP working. I'll switch between linear and normal, although I really want linear as my permanent option.

I agree that linear throttle mapping could be problem for xHP. (FWIW, I only saw that text in the last day or so even though I thought I had read everything about xHP this winter). I believe over-active throttle mapping would be worse for xHP, where more torque is generated for less throttle position. It won't want to downshift or hold gear etc... Linear would make it gear down or hold gear longer, you'd think. Furthermore, what I've noticed in a couple of weeks with MHD in linear mode is that it drives just like stock. I get stock-like response and torque up to about 50%-60% throttle, and then there's even more torque from the tune available at even great throttle inputs where stock mapping did nothing extra except move the pedal. If xHP is "tune neutral", the first half of the throttle pedal should be just like "untuned". Anyways, I'm rambling, and don't pretend to know the inside workings of the code or maps.

Last edited by Surly73; 04-04-2019 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #138
Sylverlee
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, Black M235

Using both xHP and Sprintbooster together.. I can tell you, it works perfectly together. It just feels like Sprintbooster with very fast shifting, all shift points etc are perfect.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:32 PM   #139
Surly73
Major
Canada
Rep

I recoded EGS GWS ICM and KOMBI to put 2TB back to 205 and check on some FDL values in SZL to hopefully preserve my paddles. I reflashed MHD stage 1 to remove linear throttle from any testing results. I reflashed xHP stage 2 OTS

Definitely working now. I feel a lurch in faster M shifts but I also haven't given it the 50 miles or so recommended for adaptation. The less aggressive shift types are faster and smooth enough. The faster "fart shifts" are really fast but have the lurch. It lurches both ways - meaning a deceleration lurch and acceleration lurch. I haven't been giving it much power In this phase.

I will let it adapt and continue to observe. Torque converter behaves much better still giving a better "launch" (ie when you slip the clutch from a stop on MT).

I want my linear throttle back. Will inquire with xHP and perhaps just try it out after the lurch is smoothed out.
Appreciate 0