2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications What exhaust should I get?

05-04-2019, 01:08 AM   #1
FedeRiCo_535i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 535i M Sport

What exhaust should I get?

I'm sorry if I'm posting the same topic over and over. I've searched this whole forum thoroughly and I still cannot decide. I have many questions and I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

My car: 2016 BMW 535i M Sport

The number one thing I want to upgrade is my exhaust and I've been researching through forums and listening to sound clips of all different exhaust. I have some questions:

1: What exhaust do you have and is it cat-back, axle back etc.. and how do you like it?

2: With the many options available, which exhaust do you recommend?

3: Should I go axle back or cat-back? I'm hearing so many mix opinions on this. I.E. 1: Don't cut, go cat-back for straight bolt on and for better sounding. 2: Go axle back just for sound if you don't care about performance. Which do you recommend, axle or cat-back?

4: Consideration: stock m5 exhaust or m5 comp exhaust (pretty hard to find and nobody in the marketplace is answering my messages) Remus axle back, magnaflow axle or cat-back, and Megan axle or cat-back. No local shops carry Remus so I would have to order those online. I want quad tip exhaust and I already have the diffuser for it since this is definitely something I'm going to do.

5: Sound: I really love the deep sound and I just want to be able to hear my car when I put some gas on it as well as a good nice sound while at idle and morning startups. Living in Los Angeles, I do hit a lot of traffic on my morning and evening commutes to and from work. However, I will get times where I can cruise on low RPMs so I don't want loud droning. I do tend to play my music somewhat loud so I know it will drown it out a little, but definitely want to avoid the droning.

6: Price: People say if you're going to spend $1-1.5k might as well go cat-back and spend another $3-$600. I really don't want to spend more than $2,500. I already found a few local reputable shops that would do axle back magnaflow install for $7-$800.

7: Last but not least, I'm definitely down to buy someone exhaust on here if they are willing to ship or I can meet up with them locally (I live in Los Angeles, CA). I can pay quickly through Paypal.

Thanks again fellas, very much appreciated!

FedeRiCo

Last edited by FedeRiCo_535i; 05-04-2019 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 02:34 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I think it really comes down to what you want and how much you wanna pay. I originally was gonna go with the Megan Supremos because they were something I could justify paying for even tho I really wanted a Meisterschaft or Akropovic because the exhaust note on these two exhaust are just sweet with that exotic tone compared to all the other exhaust I've heard. Before I bought the Megan Supremos I got lucky and scored a sweet deal in the MarketPlace on some Meisterschaft's from a fellow member. drove from Ohio to New Jersey to get them!

here's the Megan Supremos I was gonna get

but here's the Meisterschafts!

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
FedeRiCo_535i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I think it really comes down to what you want and how much you wanna pay. I originally was gonna go with the Megan Supremos because they were something I could justify paying for even tho I really wanted a Meisterschaft or Akropovic because the exhaust note on these two exhaust are just sweet with that exotic tone compared to all the other exhaust I've heard. Before I bought the Megan Supremos I got lucky and scored a sweet deal in the MarketPlace on some Meisterschaft's from a fellow member. drove from Ohio to New Jersey to get them!

here's the Megan Supremos I was gonna get

but here's the Meisterschafts!

Thanks bro for your reply. Yeah I really want Meisterschaft or Akropovic but the price is just over the top for me. I've looked and its all over $3,500+. I'm willing to go up to $2,500 for new exhaust. Damn what a nice come up! If I can get the same as you, I would definitely do it. Not a lot of people are selling these, so it would be highly lucky for me to score on those. Your car looks amazing man. Did you go cat-back or just axle back? Please send me a sound clip if you have it, I cant wait to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:19 AM   #4
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

I went with the Remus exhuast which is an axle back, you can find them on ebay from remus direct for around 1300 bucks, I went with the 84mm black chrome and carbon fiber tips, it's not a full cat back system, but the most restrictive part of the exhaust system is the rear mufflers since they have all those damn chambers in there to quiet the car down, changing the rear mufflers alone can add some power depending on your other mods, the other restrictive part are the resonators and obviously the catalytic converters, at that point a full cat back system along with down pipes would really free up additional power, but I am on the same boat as you and also in California, so I just went with the axle back so that when I have to smog at least I don't have to worry, but even with a cat back system, you wont have to worry about smog, it's only when you get your down pipes / removing the cats is when you have to worry about not passing smog. Essentially at the end of the day it's going to be how loud you want the car to get, full cat backs depending on brand get pretty loud, I've heard Meisterschafts in person, it's pretty loud, nice tone though, really bassy and beefy! has that "racer" raspy sound to them, I wanted something with a nice deep tone with little to no drone so I went with the remus. The choice is your's brother!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 01:34 AM   #5
FedeRiCo_535i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpabalinas81 View Post
I went with the Remus exhuast which is an axle back, you can find them on ebay from remus direct for around 1300 bucks, I went with the 84mm black chrome and carbon fiber tips, it's not a full cat back system, but the most restrictive part of the exhaust system is the rear mufflers since they have all those damn chambers in there to quiet the car down, changing the rear mufflers alone can add some power depending on your other mods, the other restrictive part are the resonators and obviously the catalytic converters, at that point a full cat back system along with down pipes would really free up additional power, but I am on the same boat as you and also in California, so I just went with the axle back so that when I have to smog at least I don't have to worry, but even with a cat back system, you wont have to worry about smog, it's only when you get your down pipes / removing the cats is when you have to worry about not passing smog. Essentially at the end of the day it's going to be how loud you want the car to get, full cat backs depending on brand get pretty loud, I've heard Meisterschafts in person, it's pretty loud, nice tone though, really bassy and beefy! has that "racer" raspy sound to them, I wanted something with a nice deep tone with little to no drone so I went with the remus. The choice is your's brother!
thanks for the reply bro. Yeah bro, I'm the same as you, I want a nice deep tone with little to no drone as well. I found a spot in Los Angeles that does custom exhaust full catback catered to the sound you like. The company is pretty reliable and the place works on a lot of BMWs. Not sure on peoples thoughts about custom exhaust or its a must go with a name brand exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
sweettalker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Vrooom

I have some custom muffler deletes for sale.
Im in la as well.
Look up my user name ull see it in for sale section
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Casebrius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535 M-Sport; 95,97 E36 M3

I'd suggest Remus. Mine sound great, nice tone and no drone.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Casebrius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535 M-Sport; 95,97 E36 M3

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 01:18 AM   #9
FedeRiCo_535i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casebrius View Post
Which remus exhaust do you have and is it catback or axle back?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #10
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 N55 - EWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedeRiCo_535i View Post
Which remus exhaust do you have and is it catback or axle back?
I also have the Remus, it comes as an axle back only. You cut your mufflers off and bolt the Remus on over the existing pipe. No welding necessary.

It provides a great tone with next to zero drone except for what some may hear as drone at 75 in 8th.

To me, cold start is somewhat loud for my small neighborhood. However once warm its very quiet. Driving through a tunnel at 70 if you floor it, you can barely hear the exhaust note over the other cars and tires noise.

The burble on manual up shifts is audible and welcomed. The tone is mellow, but present.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
FedeRiCo_535i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialmountain View Post
I also have the Remus, it comes as an axle back only. You cut your mufflers off and bolt the Remus on over the existing pipe. No welding necessary.

It provides a great tone with next to zero drone except for what some may hear as drone at 75 in 8th.

To me, cold start is somewhat loud for my small neighborhood. However once warm its very quiet. Driving through a tunnel at 70 if you floor it, you can barely hear the exhaust note over the other cars and tires noise.

The burble on manual up shifts is audible and welcomed. The tone is mellow, but present.
Thanks for the info. So after its warm you can barely hear it? Are you still able to hear it with normal driving or do you pretty much have to give it a good amount of acceleration to hear it? Do you know which Remus exhaust you have are pretty much all of them are similar to what is being sold on Ebay?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #12
trialmountain
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 N55 - EWG

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info. So after its warm you can barely hear it? Are you still able to hear it with normal driving or do you pretty much have to give it a good amount of acceleration to hear it? Do you know which Remus exhaust you have are pretty much all of them are similar to what is being sold on Ebay?
Quote:

After it's warm you can still hear it while driving, it's just not very loud. I've described it as a "gentleman's exhaust".

In the higher rpms it doesn't scream like I'm used to with previous cars w/exhausts. Inside the car it's slightly louder than the engine at higher RPM's.

Remus only makes one exhaust for the 535i, just different tip options.
      05-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #13
FedeRiCo_535i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After it's warm you can still hear it while driving, it's just not very loud. I've described it as a "gentleman's exhaust".

In the higher rpms it doesn't scream like I'm used to with previous cars w/exhausts. Inside the car it's slightly louder than the engine at higher RPM's.

Remus only makes one exhaust for the 535i, just different tip options.
yeah remus is definitely whatI am also considering. I've watch tons of videos of them and it sounds great
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 04:34 AM   #14
kimoboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Any power gains in those mufflers.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #15
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

+1 on Remus Exhausts. I installed mine about a week after getting my car.. no issues at all. provides a great tone with low drone.. only audible in high gears. Here is my car with AR Design Catted DP's and Remus Quad Exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #16
FedeRiCo_535i
United_States
Rep

Thanks everybody for your comments. I ended up getting M5 Exhaust for a great deal. I just installed them and I'm very happy with the results and how they look. I will make another post with pictures and show how the work was done.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #17
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Catless downpipe with M Performance or Remus exhaust is the best sound. I have sampled few brands with my own ears.
Appreciate 0