2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2014 535i JB4

04-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #23
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
I dont think ecu tune is detectable at the emissions. Also, oump gas map 1 or 5 you dont need to worry about car running lean.
Would a turbo inlet show up for emissions test ?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #24
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonobro View Post
Would a turbo inlet show up for emissions test ?
I highly doubt they will be able to detect that. But I am in Illinios, so I havent had any issues with emission testing. As a matter if fact, my emission test is due soon, so I will take it for testing probably some time next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #25
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpabalinas81 View Post
I went with the JB4 because I had the JB Stage 1 and had great results with it. This is just my weekend car to take the wifey and kids out. Just wanted to get a little more "kick" out of the car! don't think I'm going to do a down pipe since I'm here in California where they suck when it comes to emissions. Don't want to have to keep taking it off and on just to smog. Just wanted to see what you guys were running on these 535i F10s as far as what mode to run it on using the JB4. Thanks for your guy's advise! I have my JB Stage 1 up for sale too on the marketplace!
I would go with Map 5 based on the setup you currently have. Prior to getting a catted DP.. that's what I ran. Now I run Map 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #26
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

Bootmod 3. Labworx Tuned. 501hp @19psi on e30.
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #27
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime456 View Post
Bootmod 3. Labworx Tuned. 501hp @19psi on e30.
Stock turbo on PWG?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:57 AM   #28
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorm93 View Post
I would go with Map 5 based on the setup you currently have. Prior to getting a catted DP.. that's what I ran. Now I run Map 2.
You think map 5 would be the best at getting the most boost out of it? I'm on map 1 right now. Just got it installed yesterday. Had to bring it home after and "activate" the different maps. I'm out here in the bay area in California, bout 20 miles from San Francisco. It's starting to warm out, getting into the high 80s now, you think map 5 will still be better than map 1?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #29
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Also, do any of you know if map 1 can be modified to up the target boost to say +4? or is that only on map 6?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:09 PM   #30
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Also when you go to user adjustment using the laptop and it shows the boost figures, fuel bias, duty bias, etc....., it shows Map 6 at the top left, is that just to adjust map 6 or is that showing the current configuration depending on what map your on?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 09:38 AM   #31
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorm93 View Post
You think map 5 would be the best at getting the most boost out of it? I'm on map 1 right now. Just got it installed yesterday. Had to bring it home after and "activate" the different maps. I'm out here in the bay area in California, bout 20 miles from San Francisco. It's starting to warm out, getting into the high 80s now, you think map 5 will still be better than map 1?
Sorry for the late reply back on this. From what I remember, there is more power on Map 1. Map 5 is just a safer setting since it encompasses auto tune. I went safe more because I wanted to see what it involved. After getting my DP, I switched to Map 2
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #32
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:

Also, it would be good to know if you car is PWG or EWG?
How can you tell if you have PWG or EWG and doesn't matter?

I'll ask questions here as well since it's new to gpabalinas81 and myself if you guys don't mind? Gonna put mine in this Weekend. I didn't get the cable the plugs into the OBD nor did I get the Bluetooth. Which map does it default to once I install it? And how do you switch maps...labtop? Car is completely stock other than my Meisterschaft's. Will buy DP,CP down the road but for now what's best for stock? Great thread!

Edit: I have the instructions which is pretty clear but I have no idea what the purpose of the CAN wires are for? Can someone enlighten me. Appreciate it!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 05-03-2019 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #33
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I believe the boost seleniod is not in the location for EWG but not sure lol. EWG can make more power with stock turbo than pwg.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #34
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe the boost seleniod is not in the location for EWG but not sure lol. EWG can make more power with stock turbo than pwg.
Thanks! Is there a physical way of knowing which one I have?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #35
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

My JB4 did not come with the OBD cable. Do I need that in order to access the menu and switch maps via column stick? If that's the case would the Bluetooth app allow me to do that instead of ordering the OBD cable?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #36
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
My JB4 did not come with the OBD cable. Do I need that in order to access the menu and switch maps via column stick? If that's the case would the Bluetooth app allow me to do that instead of ordering the OBD cable?
I think 2011 to 2014 are pwg. Also, you need obd cable otherwise you stuck at map 0.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 07:49 PM   #37
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not too sure if you bought a used one or a new one, but I got mine off of EXPH. It was the latest version of the JB4, it came with the obd cable and also there was no positive cable you have to hook up, only a negative, everything else is plug and play. I believe when you first install, it is on Map 0?? correct me if i'm wrong. But like I said, I had to "unlock" it using the laptop to change something to "2" i forgot what it was. Then I was able to use the different maps and use the steering wheel controls for access as well to change the maps. So far so good, loving the JB4. I've tried Map 1 for a couple weeks and switched to Map 5, leaving it on Map 5, feels stronger on the pulls and much smoother, also the dreaded gas pedal delay is almost non existent.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #38
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Quote:

I'll ask questions here as well since it's new to gpabalinas81 and myself if you guys don't mind? Gonna put mine in this Weekend. I didn't get the cable the plugs into the OBD nor did I get the Bluetooth. Which map does it default to once I install it? And how do you switch maps...labtop? Car is completely stock other than my Meisterschaft's. Will buy DP,CP down the road but for now what's best for stock? Great thread!

Edit: I have the instructions which is pretty clear but I have no idea what the purpose of the CAN wires are for? Can someone enlighten me. Appreciate it!
I see you have a 2011, so for sure it's going to be a PWG / Pneumatic Waste Gate, EWG are for 2014+ and yes, it makes a difference when buy the JB4 cuz it's going to ask if you have PWG or EWG, and I have no Idea what CAN wires are for lol, but then again, mine didn't come with it
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #39
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Probably asking a dumb ass question, but do I have to leave the OBD plug plugged in all the time? or is that just used to access the functions of the steering wheel? or is it used for signal to the JB4? Was looking at that Vent boost gauge, looks pretty cool, but you have to plug it into the OBD port to get it to work. Just wondering
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #40
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Probably asking a dumb ass question, but do I have to leave the OBD plug plugged in all the time? or is that just used to access the functions of the steering wheel? or is it used for signal to the JB4? Was looking at that Vent boost gauge, looks pretty cool, but you have to plug it into the OBD port to get it to work. Just wondering
Obd must stay plugged in. If you remove it than JB4 goes to map 0.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #41
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think 2011 to 2014 are pwg. Also, you need obd cable otherwise you stuck at map 0.
Thanks! Map 0 is default? but I would have to use a labtop to change maps than correct? I do have the data cable. Burgertuning told me I have the old version which if I wanna use OBD I would have to upgrade the cable.

Quote:
Not too sure if you bought a used one or a new one, but I got mine off of EXPH. It was the latest version of the JB4, it came with the obd cable and also there was no positive cable you have to hook up, only a negative, everything else is plug and play. I believe when you first install, it is on Map 0?? correct me if i'm wrong. But like I said, I had to "unlock" it using the laptop to change something to "2" i forgot what it was. Then I was able to use the different maps and use the steering wheel controls for access as well to change the maps. So far so good, loving the JB4. I've tried Map 1 for a couple weeks and switched to Map 5, leaving it on Map 5, feels stronger on the pulls and much smoother, also the dreaded gas pedal delay is almost non existent.
bought it used and i'm kinda bummed cause I got in touch with Burgertuning and they asked for a picture and according to them I have the older version. they did say I can upgrade the cable to the newer OBD but they didn't say how much $? i'm wondering if I can use the Blutooth upgrade or will I still need the OBD? interesting...you still had to use your computer even tho you had the OBD connected? couldn't you have changed the maps via column stalk or whatever they call it? i'm hoping for now i'll have to use what I have now. hopefully just hooking up the labtop and setting it to map 1 if that's what's recommended for a stock 535i

Quote:
I see you have a 2011, so for sure it's going to be a PWG / Pneumatic Waste Gate, EWG are for 2014+ and yes, it makes a difference when buy the JB4 cuz it's going to ask if you have PWG or EWG, and I have no Idea what CAN wires are for lol, but then again, mine didn't come with it
like ziekxq mentioned I have PWG. btw did you have to hook up those CAN wires? i'm gonna do more research but if that's for the valves on the muffler I don't have those so i'm thinking I don't need to wire those? thanks for the replies!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 11:15 PM   #42
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Map 0 is default? but I would have to use a labtop to change maps than correct? I do have the data cable. Burgertuning told me I have the old version which if I wanna use OBD I would have to upgrade the cable.

bought it used and i'm kinda bummed cause I got in touch with Burgertuning and they asked for a picture and according to them I have the older version. they did say I can upgrade the cable to the newer OBD but they didn't say how much $? i'm wondering if I can use the Blutooth upgrade or will I still need the OBD? interesting...you still had to use your computer even tho you had the OBD connected? couldn't you have changed the maps via column stalk or whatever they call it? i'm hoping for now i'll have to use what I have now. hopefully just hooking up the labtop and setting it to map 1 if that's what's recommended for a stock 535i

like ziekxq mentioned I have PWG. btw did you have to hook up those CAN wires? i'm gonna do more research but if that's for the valves on the muffler I don't have those so i'm thinking I don't need to wire those? thanks for the replies!

Had to "unlock" it first before I was able to use the steering wheel controls, it wouldn't work unless you changed a value in the tuner to "2" then save it, then reset it, at that point it worked after. As far as the CAN wires, mine didn't come with any, it was just 4 plugs, a ground wire, the OBD plug and USB cable, that was it, but then again, I have the latest version
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 11:17 PM   #43
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Quote:
Obd must stay plugged in. If you remove it than JB4 goes to map 0.
that's weak, I cant use that in vent boost gauge unless they make a "Y" OBD harness??? =(
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #44
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
that's weak, I cant use that in vent boost gauge unless they make a "Y" OBD harness??? =(
I dont know what board you got but mine required obd to stay plugged in. Honestly you should check on n54tuning forum. To be honest I didnt like their support, they rely on forum members to support their product. For $500 product they should provide dedicated support, and they also assume if you buying their product than you should have good knowledge of it. Good luck, flash tune is the way to go to be honest. I dont know why people even bother with JB4 anymore. Ecu flash tune power delivery alone triumps JB4.
Appreciate 0