2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications 2014 535i JB4

05-05-2019, 01:55 AM   #45
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
I dont know what board you got but mine required obd to stay plugged in. Honestly you should check on n54tuning forum. To be honest I didnt like their support, they rely on forum members to support their product. For $500 product they should provide dedicated support, and they also assume if you buying their product than you should have good knowledge of it. Good luck, flash tune is the way to go to be honest. I dont know why people even bother with JB4 anymore. Ecu flash tune power delivery alone triumps JB4.
The reason I went with JB4 is cuz im here in Cali, didnt have to worry about flashing and then re-flashing back to stock just to get the car smoged, at least with the JB4 I can just set it to Map 0, unplug the OBD plug and have them smog it, then plug it back in and set it back to map 5, been looking online and found a OBD2 "Y" harness, wondering if that would work the the JB4 and the vent boost gauge??
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 01:58 AM   #46
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpabalinas81 View Post
The reason I went with JB4 is cuz im here in Cali, didnt have to worry about flashing and then re-flashing back to stock just to get the car smoged, at least with the JB4 I can just set it to Map 0, unplug the OBD plug and have them smog it, then plug it back in and set it back to map 5, been looking online and found a OBD2 "Y" harness, wondering if that would work the the JB4 and the vent boost gauge??
The ecu flash in undetected plus you can probably leave it in the correct map and never have to worry about unpluging anything. Plus with ecu tune you can flash to stock map anytime and no hassle of removing any hardware.

I could be wrong but if your mods are stock than ecu flash isnt really producing any extra emissions. Specially if they are justing reading off of obd and not putting anything extra in exhaust end.

I have emissions in Illinois and I run catless dp and passed the test.

Last edited by ziekxq; 05-05-2019 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:08 AM   #47
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
The ecu flash in undetected plus you can probably leave it in the correct map and never have to worry about unpluging anything. Plus with ecu tune you can flash to stock map anytime and no hassle of removing any hardware.
damn bro, your really tempting me to just sell the JB4 and get an actual flash tune lol!!!, but so far so good on the JB4 on map 5, butt dyno can really tell a difference from the JB Stage 1 to the JB4 running map 5, power delivery is much smoother and the infamous gas pedal delay is almost non existent, I just have the basic bolts ons, BMS intake, FTP charge pipe and boost pipe, remus axle back exhaust, next on the list is a FMIC, was debating to get the generic Wagner one on ebay for 300 bucks, looks exactly like the wager for damn near 70% less in price. Looks pretty simple to install as well. But i really want that Vent boost gauge lol!, i'm hoping that OBD splitter is the key to get the JB4 and that vent boost gauge to work. I guess I'll be the guinea pig, I'm gonna buy the splitter and the vent gauge in the next few weeks, I'll let you guys know what happens!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #48
MOBF10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

BM3 is best, so I hear. I'll get more into performance mods eventually. Living in CA is tough. I've already gotten state ref'd in one of my cars. Was terrible.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #49
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

from reading about tunes I know it's a general rule of thumb to change the plugs and coils but is it required before installing the JB4? my OBD II retrofit cable is coming in but debating if I should install the JB4 or replace the plugs and coils first? plugs were done last year. not sure if the dealer did the coils or not when I was under the Maintenance program?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #50
gpabalinas81
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
from reading about tunes I know it's a general rule of thumb to change the plugs and coils but is it required before installing the JB4? my OBD II retrofit cable is coming in but debating if I should install the JB4 or replace the plugs and coils first? plugs were done last year. not sure if the dealer did the coils or not when I was under the Maintenance program?
I had 65k miles on my car when I put in the JB4, no issues, but then again when I bought the car, I did all the major stuff, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, idler pully, new serpentine belt, new thermostat, new spark plugs, I did all this when I bought the car (bought it used), so far so good, no issues, next up at 100k is going to be the transmission oil pan since the filter housing is incorporated into the pan and water pump. JB4 has been good to me so far, but im looking into the Enzotune 400+R, I heard you can get that tune and still use the JB4 for even more power. Anyone have this set up?? can anyone tell me if it's a good combo?
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #51
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I didn't change anything when I installed my JB4. It's been a couple of years so far & it's been seamless.
Appreciate 1