2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F11 air suspension failure - help needed

07-07-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
TheFandango
Rep
Drives: 535d xDrive

F11 air suspension failure - help needed

I am looking for some advise. I am travelling, far from any repair shop and looks like the air spring on the drivers side has failed. I can hear the pump trying to inflate it but without any luck. I don't think I have other choice than to try to drive back (340 km). A few questions regarding that:

1. As far as I know it should be okay (comfort aside). I know it can put to much strain on the compressor so it may be at risk. But apart from the compressor, is it okay to drive?
2. To protect the compressor it makes sense to disconnect it prior to leaving. What is the easiest way to do that? Is there a fuse for it at the rear? And if so, does anyone know the number of the fuse?
3. Or is it better to disconnect the power to the compressor? If so, how do I do that.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
Trainwreck914
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 F15 E39 E90 E53

I'm sure there's a fuse. Or you can pull the electrical connector from the pump. I drove 50 miles on bad air struts with f15 X5. Had no idea at the time. Just felt like it was really bouncy and thought the rear shocks went bad. Parked it until I got replacement air bags. Less expensive than replacing the compressor
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

depending on how bad the airbag leak is, you may cause more damage by disabling the compressor.

Our 2011 530d F11 rear bag blew whilst we were on holiday in 2016 at 50k miles with a fully loaded car. We had no choice but to drive to our destination riding on bump stops. I replaced bags myself, but later became evident that by doing that I'd blown the shock absorber and knackered the anti-roll bar drop-links.

There is a cheap kit that allows you disconnect the pneumatic tubes from the compressor solenoid and pumps them up manually. probably no use right now.

I'm of the opinion that these need replacing every 50k / 5 years or sooner. I inspected my new 2016 air bags in 2018 and even then could see cracks forming where the airspring rubber folds. So probably about time to replace again at 4 years later at 90k miles.
Appreciate 0