2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Shadowline Trim Stains / Damage :(

04-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Shadowline Trim Stains / Damage :(

My car was at the dealer for service for an extended period of time.

Sadly, it was returned with the following damage to the shadowline trim around the windows (driver’s side only).

Seems to be stained in some way, but doesn’t wash off!

Dealer tried to clean/fix(?), but no change.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before? What might I be able to try to get these stains out?

I’m meticulous and this is impossible for me to get past.

Very upset.

Many thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
I would definitely try and get the dealer to cover the cost of fixing this. My guess is that someone poured some contaminated water on your car or parked it under a leaking garage and the clear coat became etched. I'm willing to bet this is also on the body panels of your car...just not as visible because of the metallic paint. If you want to try and fix this on your own, you have a couple of options depending on the severity of the clear coat etching.

In this order until you find the option that works:

Option 1. Get Duragloss 505 Water Spot Remover. This does wonders to remove water spots caused by calcium or other contaminants. This might remove the visible white haze you see, but will not remove any clear coat etching that was left behind by the contaminates. Alternatively, you can also try a 50:50 mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Just don't let it dry on the paint.

Option 2. Get Meguiar's Scratch X, which does an awesome job in removing lite surface blemishes. If that doesn't work, then the clear coat needs some polishing (move to option 3).

Option 3. Get yourself some aggressive/cutting polish and use a good DA polisher with a yellow pad to remove some of the contaminated clear coat. This will remove a very minimal layer of clear coat, so don't sweat it. You might need to follow up with some lighter polish to remove some of the hazing left by the cutting polish. Make sure to use blue masking tape to cover up any of the plastic or rubber pieces as they will get stained by the polish. If that doesn't work, then the clear coat needs some wet sanding (move to option 4).

Option 4. This step is not for the faint of heart and requires practice, but if you want to give it a go, get some 2500 and 3000 automotive sanding paper and a sanding block. I'm not going to explain how wet sanding works here, there are tons of videos on YouTube and how-tos if you Google. Basically, wet sand the contaminated areas and follow up with Option 3. I can't imagine this not working to get your Shadowline parts back to their former shine. Again, this step requires some experience and you can severely damage your paint if you don't know what you're doing.
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)

Last edited by spielnicht; 04-22-2020 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
cdmulders325.00
      04-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I bought my 5 series with this on my shadowline trim (not as bad, but still across the entire trim) and it has bugged the hell outta me. Thank you to spielnicht for the above options. Looks like i may have found my new project over the next couple of weekends.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

I use 3d eraser water spot remove for water stains and it works great. It works on glass, paint, and chrome trim so it's pretty safe. It very inexpensive too.

https://www.amazon.com/3D-Auto-Detai...s%2C234&sr=8-1
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
AussieBob
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 F10 "M5"

Another example of it's not the $tealer's car. Unfortunately .... but they always make money because that's all they do.

Best to buy them from them and just drive away, as the final price "sales-pitch" normally is. And any additional warranty or insurance costs probably won't help you out either.

I am bitter and twisted from decades of learning the hard way with these business professionals.

You can repair or replace yourself, that's what I do and love my cars even more now.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
I would definitely try and get the dealer to cover the cost of fixing this. My guess is that someone poured some contaminated water on your car or parked it under a leaking garage and the clear coat became etched. I'm willing to bet this is also on the body panels of your car...just not as visible because of the metallic paint. If you want to try and fix this on your own, you have a couple of options depending on the severity of the clear coat etching.

In this order until you find the option that works:

Option 1. Get Duragloss 505 Water Spot Remover. This does wonders to remove water spots caused by calcium or other contaminants. This might remove the visible white haze you see, but will not remove any clear coat etching that was left behind by the contaminates. Alternatively, you can also try a 50:50 mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Just don't let it dry on the paint.

Option 2. Get Meguiar's Scratch X, which does an awesome job in removing lite surface blemishes. If that doesn't work, then the clear coat needs some polishing (move to option 3).

Option 3. Get yourself some aggressive/cutting polish and use a good DA polisher with a yellow pad to remove some of the contaminated clear coat. This will remove a very minimal layer of clear coat, so don't sweat it. You might need to follow up with some lighter polish to remove some of the hazing left by the cutting polish. Make sure to use blue masking tape to cover up any of the plastic or rubber pieces as they will get stained by the polish. If that doesn't work, then the clear coat needs some wet sanding (move to option 4).

Option 4. This step is not for the faint of heart and requires practice, but if you want to give it a go, get some 2500 and 3000 automotive sanding paper and a sanding block. I'm not going to explain how wet sanding works here, there are tons of videos on YouTube and how-tos if you Google. Basically, wet sand the contaminated areas and follow up with Option 3. I can't imagine this not working to get your Shadowline parts back to their former shine. Again, this step requires some experience and you can severely damage your paint if you don't know what you're doing.
Wow; what a wonderful community we have here! Thank you for your most prompt, detailed and thoughtful reply. Your care and concern is truly appreciated. Are you a professional automotive detailer? The depth of your knowledge is extensive.

I lost it the first time I noticed same at the dealer. Service advisor stated he'd fix - as well as other damaged my car incurred while it was at dealer - but upon return of my car to me last week, the other work had been taken care of, but not this. I've since called advisor and he said he'd take care of this at a future point given current pandemic circumstances. I'm upset and concerned nonetheless. Looks awful. Argh.

I will take things one step at a time. Can't thank you enough. Thanks again!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by top ramen View Post
I use 3d eraser water spot remove for water stains and it works great. It works on glass, paint, and chrome trim so it's pretty safe. It very inexpensive too.
Thank you for the suggestion and link! I'll take a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBob View Post
I am bitter and twisted from decades of learning the hard way with these business professionals.

You can repair or replace yourself, that's what I do and love my cars even more now.
You're right... damage to their vehicle, it's on you. Damage to your car, it's a fight. And yes, if you want something don't right, must do it yourself. Thank you for the support.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 10:53 PM   #7
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
Try this, guy has same issue but not as bad?

Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 07:14 AM   #8
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by top ramen View Post

https://www.amazon.com/3D-Auto-Detai...s%2C234&sr=8-1
I just bought this yesterday from Amazon and should have it by Monday. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I've had what appears to be super hard water stains on my trim since I bought my car back in September. No matter what I've tried, they haven't come off yet. I'm hoping this does the trick. Thanks for the link!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #9
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
I just bought this yesterday from Amazon and should have it by Monday. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I've had what appears to be super hard water stains on my trim since I bought my car back in September. No matter what I've tried, they haven't come off yet. I'm hoping this does the trick. Thanks for the link!
Have you tried yet?

Any before and after pictures?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #10
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Have you tried yet?

Any before and after pictures?

Thanks!
It came in a couple of days ago but I haven't yet unfortunately.

Wife & I just bought our 1st house, so still in the process of moving, and also my terrible reasoning for not having washed the car in general in over a month.

I'm hoping to be fully moved in this weekend, which means i can then try this stuff out.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #11
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramman434 View Post
It came in a couple of days ago but I haven't yet unfortunately.

Wife & I just bought our 1st house, so still in the process of moving, and also my terrible reasoning for not having washed the car in general in over a month.

I'm hoping to be fully moved in this weekend, which means i can then try this stuff out.
Congrats on the new home!

All good things!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #12
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Since I recommend this 3D eraser gel product and ramman434 didn't get a chance to show how the product works I decided to clean the water marks on my window trims and greasy finger stains on the door pillar that never comes off when washing. Not sure how dbs600 took such good quality photos showing his stain damage but I tried and tried and only got a few good ones on my phone.

I used a soft sponge tire applicator to apply the product. I went in a back and forth motion for about a minute and let it sit for about another 30 seconds before using a waterless car wash to clean any area the product went on. If the results doesn't turn out the way you want just repeat. Once satisfied apply some wax to seal and protect the area from elements.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Looks great! I'm all moved into the new house, but it's been raining in S. FL for over a week, so haven't washed the car or tried this yet. Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #14
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The 1st is my before, and the last is my after. Sadly it didn't work for me, but I also applied it with a cloth, and not an applicator pad. I'm going to try with an applicator pad next time, since that appears to work with its rougher surface to help scrub off the stain.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #15
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thank you so very much for all these pictures.

Sorry to hear it didn't work. :|

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Will you give it another go around with something else?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #16
ramman434
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm eventually going to try a soft sponge tire applicator like Top Ramen did. Maybe that will work?
Appreciate 0