2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Politics/Religion Slow news day? Enjoy de Blasio being an idiot again.

02-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #23
Poiseuille
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

here we have Mayor deBlasio trying to field an unexpectedly complicated question from local yutes:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #24
Poiseuille
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
In the spirit of slow news day...Minnesota Democrat Congresswoman married her biological brother to get him into the country. Big lol if true.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...-from-somalia/
I actually hope this isn't true, we want to keep Omar around at least until December 2020, the more airtime the better.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #25
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to it if they are taking it away because he wasn't paying property taxes, I would be opposed to it if they are just trying to take it away because the landlord isn't doing anything with it.

He didn't sink a dime into the property and it probably appreciated by at least double if not triple, that is an investment. As long as there is no security risk, the government has no right to do anything about that. That is like the government taking away stocks because you didn't trade them in a few years.
Yes but what about the public health and safety hazard? I get that this is a slippery slope, I really do. But in this case we had homeless people breaking in and having uncontrolled fires inside the buildings, using them for drug dealing and prostitution, and they were unsafe for firefighters or other first-responders to enter. They harbor rats and other vermin. They are essentially a public nuisance and a health and safety risk. Is that all OK just so long as the taxes re being paid? At some point the owner has to be accountable for securing the site and cleaning it up.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #26
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
I actually hope this isn't true, we want to keep Omar around at least until December 2020, the more airtime the better.
This isn't really new news, is it? I mean, I heard about this years ago.

Omar admits the marriage, more or less her second, to Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, and says that he is not her brother, but refuses to release any documents or specific information to support her story.

At this time, there is no proof that she did or did not marry her brother. Until some sort of news organization actually gets some hard facts - all of this is very suspect, but really just conjecture.

Here are some links to enjoy:

http://www.fox9.com/news/dlf-candida...e-to-questions
https://cis.org/North/SomaliaBorn-Ca...Marriage-Fraud
https://www.thepostmillennial.com/il...ct-or-fiction/
https://www.minnpost.com/politics-po...i-culture-faq/

Now - that all being out of the way...

Can I please just say,

02-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #27
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Yes but what about the public health and safety hazard? I get that this is a slippery slope, I really do. But in this case we had homeless people breaking in and having uncontrolled fires inside the buildings, using them for drug dealing and prostitution, and they were unsafe for firefighters or other first-responders to enter. They harbor rats and other vermin. They are essentially a public nuisance and a health and safety risk. Is that all OK just so long as the taxes re being paid? At some point the owner has to be accountable for securing the site and cleaning it up.
Hell - a third of all inner city housing projects have those issues. Should we steal them from the government and give them to private investors then?

Same thing.

If those issues really exist, then the city can cite or fine the owner of the property to force him to clean up the issues. If he doesn't pay the fines, then a lien can be put on the property.

To have the government come and forceably take private property because it decided you aren't doing enough with it is nothing more than flat out facism.

02-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #28
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
I agree with you, and that is what I meant by security risk. There are code violations that he would have to abide by like any other owner.

There was a guy here that had about $800k worth of code violations that amassed over 4 or 5 years. He was a day away from being put in jail, then ended up getting out of it by paying or finding a buyer. The city cared more about this case because he had tenants, and they were worried about the safety risk.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #29
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Hell - a third of all inner city housing projects have those issues. Should we steal them from the government and give them to private investors then?

Same thing.

If those issues really exist, then the city can cite or fine the owner of the property to force him to clean up the issues. If he doesn't pay the fines, then a lien can be put on the property.

To have the government come and forceably take private property because it decided you aren't doing enough with it is nothing more than flat out facism.
Yep, the city did all that. Fines, liens, the whole thing. He didnt budge. Decades those properties sat like that, hazardous to the neighborhood's inhabitants. At some point enough is enough. If I leave my car on the side of the road with unpaid tags it get towed. if I don't pay the fines it gets sold at auction. Maybe that's fascism too? I don't really see a difference here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #30
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, the city did all that. Fines, liens, the whole thing. He didnt budge. Decades those properties sat like that, hazardous to the neighborhood's inhabitants. At some point enough is enough. If I leave my car on the side of the road with unpaid tags it get towed. if I don't pay the fines it gets sold at auction. Maybe that's fascism too? I don't really see a difference here.
If the city takes the property because of unpaid fines - I have no issue with that. My issue lies in your original statement where you said the city should be able to take away private property because they aren't happy with it's condition. Screw that.
      02-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #31
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
If the city takes the property because of unpaid fines - I have no issue with that. My issue lies in your original statement where you said the city should be able to take away private property because they aren't happy with it's condition. Screw that.
I completely see your perspective and can see how this sort of thing could go way out of hand. Ie, some fancy municipality taking away someone's property because they don't like that the house has peeling paint. But i do think there needs to be a mechanism for taking back property that poses public health and safety issues. Example (admittedly a rare, cherry-picked one). If this building owner was up on his taxes, had no liens, and said "too bad, I like my building this way" then the city is powerless to do anything?

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #32
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I completely see your perspective and can see how this sort of thing could go way out of hand. Ie, some fancy municipality taking away someone's property because they don't like that the house has peeling paint. But i do think there needs to be a mechanism for taking back property that poses public health and safety issues. Example (admittedly a rare, cherry-picked one). If this building owner was up on his taxes, had no liens, and said "too bad, I like my building this way" then the city is powerless to do anything?

Yes.
      02-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #33
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Yes.
Huh, interesting. OK. Well I hope for your sake you never have a really crappy, slumlord neighbor!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #34
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Huh, interesting. OK. Well I hope for your sake you never have a really crappy, slumlord neighbor!
I stand by my original comments. The government is almost never the answer. To any question. Period.
      02-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #35
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
I stand by my original comments. The government is almost never the answer. To any question. Period.
Then civilians need to be empowered to create the community they want. Government may not be the answer but there still needs to be an answer to some a**hole who wants to put his community at risk through his own greed or negligence. If any of those houses was next door to me and my city government cant do anything then I'd like to be empowered to fire up the D10 dozer and go to town on that sh*t!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #36
NickyC
Major General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

The guy in NJ is trying to tax the rain, it never ends.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent9391.50

02-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #37
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
The guy in NJ is trying to tax the rain, it never ends.
I saw that. Better hurry up and put some sod over your driveway!