2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 BMW 520D: Swirl Flap Error 2C3200

02-04-2024, 08:46 AM   #1
dvlznight
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW

2014 BMW 520D: Swirl Flap Error 2C3200

Hello everyone,

I own a 2014 BMW 520D equipped with the B47 engine, currently at around 130,000 km on the odometer. About a month ago, I experienced difficulty starting the car, which was quite unusual. Later the same day, the car suffered a loss of power and displayed a "drivetrain malfunction" warning on the iDrive system. However, the car has been running smoothly since then until today, when the same issue reoccurred.

Upon running a diagnostic, I discovered an error code related to the Swirl Flap: "2C3200 Swirl flap, plausibility: mechanically defective (lever break detection)." Attempts to erase this error were unsuccessful.

I am now trying to determine the best course of action - whether to replace the entire intake manifold or just the actuator. Furthermore, I've read that prior to replacing either the intake manifold or the actuator, the swirl flap actuator has to be reset using ISTA, which I do not possess.

I am seeking advice on how to proceed. I would also like to know the OE part numbers required for replacement and whether the reset using ISTA is indeed necessary

Thanks in advance for the assistence.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 05:58 PM   #2
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Unfortunately, unlike the N47 the swirl flaps in the B47 are not replaceable. If the actuator lever is indeed broken (happens), you can get away with replacing it. The thing is, your manifold and swirl flaps are likely full of carbon if never cleaned, so quite a bit of (very messy) work. If you decide to do the job yourself be extra careful not to get anything in the intake ports and don't be tempted to clean them yourself (unless you know what you are doing and close the valves). Ideally all gaskets upstream of the charge hose should also be replaced. And you really need a torque wrench and follow the tis guidance to avoid leaks. Yea, the air system adaptations including the swirl flaps should be reset afterwards. All in all, I'd recommend you pay someone to do it, not a hard job but you need to know what you are doing.

Intake manifold: 11618513655
Actuator: 11618570791

PS
Where are you in Belgium?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 06:18 PM   #3
dvlznight
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breach View Post
Unfortunately, unlike the N47 the swirl flaps in the B47 are not replaceable. If the actuator lever is indeed broken (happens), you can get away with replacing it. The thing is, your manifold and swirl flaps are likely full of carbon if never cleaned, so quite a bit of (very messy) work. If you decide to do the job yourself be extra careful not to get anything in the intake ports and don't be tempted to clean them yourself (unless you know what you are doing and close the valves). Ideally all gaskets upstream of the charge hose should also be replaced. And you really need a torque wrench and follow the tis guidance to avoid leaks. Yea, the air system adaptations including the swirl flaps should be reset afterwards. All in all, I'd recommend you pay someone to do it, not a hard job but you need to know what you are doing.

Intake manifold: 11618513655
Actuator: 11618570791

PS
Where are you in Belgium?

Thank you immensely for your advice. I'm contemplating tackling the repair on my own, yet I remain undecided.

I should mention, I reside in Dendermonde. Your willingness to assist and share your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Warm regards.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 11:01 AM   #4
dopus
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 520DAT

There is a swirlflap delete kit for the engine

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co....elete-kit.html

I did not know the b47 used a different inntake. on n47 in my 2013 the flaps are a part of a removable gasket holder thing. I have a plan to replace the flaps/gasket and clean the intake during the easter holliday.
If you delete instead of change, you might loose some low rev torque.

Last edited by dopus; 03-14-2024 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0