2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Squeaky brakes (<3mph) 530d

04-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Squeaky brakes (<3mph) 530d

All,
Is there a fix for squeaky brakes? most noticiable in traffic when stopping and the car is about to stop when the brakes squeal. Its not too loud but I can hear it.
I thought people have had parts replaced for this under warranty (couldn't find the thread)
Car has only covered 6700 miles to date.

Any ideas, am tempted to take to dealer to sort out.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Krill
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G30 520d Xdrive - M Sport

I too have squeaky brakes, hasn't annoyed me enough to visit the stealer yet.. However, my previous F10 had the squeaks too but it went away after several thousand km's.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
avelvin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d M Sport xDrive wi

Hi, I posted the below comments in a different thread a few months back. Given my success you could try your dealer again. Be persistent. Let me know if it helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thought I would share this as it is really quite interesting from BMW.

I bought a high spec 530 D M Sport Touring F11 last January with a list price of £59,000 UK pounds, it had 1720 miles on it. From day one the brakes squealed under light braking such as in traffic. The noise was quite loud and nearly every day. The dealer had the car back 4 times for the issue (under warranty) but could not resolve. In the end they wrote to me a few weeks back and said they could do no more and BMW AG would not pay for anymore warranty claims on brakes, not least they are parts subject to wear and tear. If I wished to pursue the issue I would personally have to pay for the work !! Naturally I was irritated and reminded them that this noise should not exist on a £59k car with 1720 miles on it from back then nor now even though it has currently got 8500 miles on it, and that I had been very fair in letting them try to cure the problem over the last 12 months. They had heard the noise and I had submitted to them 3 minutes of audio recordings of it too.

They agreed to take one more look at it. I believed at this point that they would probably replace the brake pads as there seemed no other obvious culprit. They rang me the following day to say that they had submitted a PUMA report to BMW AG, and they had instructed them to not only replace the pads, but also the discs and the callipers too, but get this, they also instructed them to upgrade the discs to the M Performance discs, and also fit the same callipers as fitted to the 535 D M Sport. The dealer showed me all the paperwork and correspondence to prove it as they were as surprised as I was. Sure enough they finished the upgrade 2 days later and all seems fine so far. BMW AG have also update the original build spec of my car on their systems to reflect the upgrade so future owners and other dealers will fit the new parts automatically should they need service or change in the future. Apparently it is due to a resonance issue on some 530 D M Sport F11s. I am told by the dealer that IF I had had to pay for this upgrade it would have cost me around £4000 pounds !!

Obviously this is a very good result for me, but I would be interested in any readers comments on this or similar stories as I am certain that BMW initially hoped I would put up with the issue and go away. This is obviously a known problem or why else agree to such a draconian upgrade from the original brake spec ?? I have to say I am quite shocked at what they did for what was just squealing brakes, but at least they did come good in the end even if I did have to be very persistent !!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

So, the squeaky wheel gets the upgrade?

What a great result. Congrats! Something to keep in mind down the road.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
I had the same issue on my 520D, but I had to pay 500€ to change brake pads since it had 11 months and 20000km on the clock .
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

This is normal, especially when it's cold out. All my BMWs are like that at low speed, but it goes away after the brakes warm up. I wouldn't attempt to spray any chemicals to reduce the sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

bed-in your brakes.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
L16GSY
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530D M Sport

I have the same issue on my 2013 F10 530d M Sport with 7,000 miles on. Took it into my BMW dealer who put case through on Puma, came back saying they are going to replace disks, pads and callipers.
This is not a normal squeak, it occurs all the time in slow moving traffic and is like driving a London Bus, not what you want on a new executive saloon so BMW are doing the right thing by upgrading if it cures the problem.
So if your car suffers from this, tell the dealer to submit it through Puma and see what result you get!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
My "problem" got even worse after driving on a race track for a day, so it's not that it's used enough.
      05-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'll take it up with the dealer, see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
ebby422
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi

first thing the dealer will do will take it to high speed and slam the brakes..

its to remove the brake dust between the pad grooves

and yeah,, they wont tell you

next,, they will look into it deeper
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
avelvin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d M Sport xDrive wi

Guys, please read my earlier post. Apparently BMW know about this resonance issue which affects certain 5 series models. Yes it took me almost 12 months but look what they did in the end if you persist !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #13
euluk83
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 520d 2015

same problem, bmw now willing to find the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avelvin View Post
Hi, I posted the below comments in a different thread a few months back. Given my success you could try your dealer again. Be persistent. Let me know if it helps.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thought I would share this as it is really quite interesting from BMW.

I bought a high spec 530 D M Sport Touring F11 last January with a list price of £59,000 UK pounds, it had 1720 miles on it. From day one the brakes squealed under light braking such as in traffic. The noise was quite loud and nearly every day. The dealer had the car back 4 times for the issue (under warranty) but could not resolve. In the end they wrote to me a few weeks back and said they could do no more and BMW AG would not pay for anymore warranty claims on brakes, not least they are parts subject to wear and tear. If I wished to pursue the issue I would personally have to pay for the work !! Naturally I was irritated and reminded them that this noise should not exist on a £59k car with 1720 miles on it from back then nor now even though it has currently got 8500 miles on it, and that I had been very fair in letting them try to cure the problem over the last 12 months. They had heard the noise and I had submitted to them 3 minutes of audio recordings of it too.

They agreed to take one more look at it. I believed at this point that they would probably replace the brake pads as there seemed no other obvious culprit. They rang me the following day to say that they had submitted a PUMA report to BMW AG, and they had instructed them to not only replace the pads, but also the discs and the callipers too, but get this, they also instructed them to upgrade the discs to the M Performance discs, and also fit the same callipers as fitted to the 535 D M Sport. The dealer showed me all the paperwork and correspondence to prove it as they were as surprised as I was. Sure enough they finished the upgrade 2 days later and all seems fine so far. BMW AG have also update the original build spec of my car on their systems to reflect the upgrade so future owners and other dealers will fit the new parts automatically should they need service or change in the future. Apparently it is due to a resonance issue on some 530 D M Sport F11s. I am told by the dealer that IF I had had to pay for this upgrade it would have cost me around £4000 pounds !!

Obviously this is a very good result for me, but I would be interested in any readers comments on this or similar stories as I am certain that BMW initially hoped I would put up with the issue and go away. This is obviously a known problem or why else agree to such a draconian upgrade from the original brake spec ?? I have to say I am quite shocked at what they did for what was just squealing brakes, but at least they did come good in the end even if I did have to be very persistent !!

have one problem with my f10 520d 2015, it has the end of the warranty check and i have addressed this problem to bmw twice allready, and they are saying that this a normal sound of the brakes on this king of age f10, i sayd to them that it is not normal for a car like this to make this noise when braking at stop point and releasing the brake pedal like in the video, now my question is what do i have to do, becouse bmw will not recognise this hidden problem, and the end of warranty is next month, i will apreciate some help please. Thank you
Appreciate 0