2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 100k Miles or More

08-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #23
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
I have a 520d, 2011 n47 engine, currently on 47k miles, putting very nominal mileage on due to be worry of causing damage to the timing chain and more importantly being towed in a journey and the disruption and inconvenience.
I had to read this a few times to decide whether or not you're being serious. If you are, then why bother having a diesel - or even driving - at all? Modern cars are broadly very reliable compared to older ones, and as someone that used to do 40,000 miles/year, there are certain cars I'd avoid as I used to see them by the side of motorways all the time. Like a 20 year old E46. Don't believe everything you read about timing chains.
Nominal mileage (assuming done in short distances) means the engine will never get up to full running temperature, meaning regenerations of the DPF will be few & far between. Not to mention oil performance as that takes even longer to get warm than coolant (which I suppose could and would affect timing chain longevity). I'm not having a go, I'm just... well... baffled.
Anyhow, 6WB is the full digital instrument cluster, 6WA is the 'half' digital cluster. Most F10's have neither, just the smaller display under the rev counter. Both 6WA and 6WB are popular retrofits.
Hi

Don't worry I don't think you're having a go. In fact I'm glad to read what you said.

I'm driving to work everyday which is 6 Miles each way and hence putting ok very nominal mileage and use the car on the weekends to go out town for day trips with the children. This is where I'm worried and scared to drive it incase it snaps on these journeys and fear being broken down with the family.

This commute has been the case for the last two years.

Before this the car was used on a 12 Mile dual carriage way commute each way every day which warmed the car up properly. I agree modern cars are broadly very reliable compared to older ones but with this nominal mileage done in short distances means the engine will never get up to full running temperature, meaning regenerations of the DPF will be few & far between and as you said the oil performance is affected and affect timing chain longevity.

Here's the thing, I've had the car since virtually new, it's loaded with what was some very good options at the time and I actually wanted this car and searched for it a long time.

I wasn't aware of the f10 timing chains issues at time of buying 2013. I really a 5 and the f10 was the current shape. The diesels were the engine I wanted. Didn't like the 520i or 528i, couldn't afford 535i and not many about at the time.

If I sell it now I'll be lucky to get £12k for it.

I don't have extra funds to add on top for a replacement and don't see anything I like or I'd want for £12k hence keeping the car. And plan to keep it till the last bolt falls off hence started the thread.

I go away on weekends out of town so can give it a good run and when I don't I take it every few weeks for a drive down the motorway near to my house.

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #24
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi apples

I'm impressed and truly inspired to hear what your mileage is and you to hit the 200k mark

That's real faith and confidence in the vehicle

I have a 520d, 2011 n47 engine, currently on 47k miles, putting very nominal mileage on due to be worry of causing damage to the timing chain and more importantly being towed in a journey and the disruption and inconvenience.

I have warranty with bmw.

I've had all its services done by BMW when the idrive tells me they're due but haven't done an interim one.

Under warranty I've had the following

New button on steering wheel to answer a call and end call for the Bluetooth telephone

New steering rack due to steering vibration

New right side headlamp unit due to water ingress and condensation

And engine mounts due to vibration when turning at slow speed.

Other than that it's just wheels refurbs and a smart repair on bumper

Still on original tyre due to having a winter set.

Pads front and back have been done once and front discs Once

What's 6wb? I've not heard of this.

And how did you install the speed camera function?

Thanks

Sp
Yup, 6wb is the full screen cluster, really transforms the look of the car

You can get an emulator for speed limit info off AliExpress, I got mine from carsystems.com.ua but they don't seem to have it listed at the moment.

It taps into the can bus and power wiring behind the cluster

If you own a diesel...drive it and drive it hard, that's what they want... If the chain starts to make a noise - get it repaired/updated parts put in.. should keep on trucking thereafter for ages!

Brake pads front and rear done today, spotted my rear diff bushing was sporting at least two legs which were completely torn...so that needs attending to!
Hi apples

Have started to drive it hard after reading your post and going on the motorway tomorrow and will give it a good run.

Glad to hear you spotted the bushes torn and getting the pads etc sorted.

I've always enjoyed speaking to owners who are top of their car maintenance.

Sp
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #25
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 30e

65 plate 525d owned from new and now with 97k on the clock. The following repairs have been necessary, each on separate occasions:

Mass air flow meter
EGR Valve
EGR Cooler
2 of lower engine mounts (only one failed but due to the amount of work involved both were replaced under warranty)

This is my 3rd 5 series and these issues haven’t put me off as I’ve just ordered a 4th - 530e M Sport with Harmon Kardon, Park Assist, Headlight Wash, High Beam Assist, Powered Boot and Folding Mirrors.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 01:31 AM   #26
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrp View Post
65 plate 525d owned from new and now with 97k on the clock. The following repairs have been necessary, each on separate occasions:

Mass air flow meter
EGR Valve
EGR Cooler
2 of lower engine mounts (only one failed but due to the amount of work involved both were replaced under warranty)

This is my 3rd 5 series and these issues haven't put me off as I've just ordered a 4th - 530e M Sport with Harmon Kardon, Park Assist, Headlight Wash, High Beam Assist, Powered Boot and Folding Mirrors.

Andy
Hi Andy

Nice to hear you got some good mileage out of your 4 year old car. And that the car has served you well.

Furthermore glad to hear that it's has been your 3rd 5er and you are sticking with the model still further.

As a product and what it has delivered us obviously met your expectation and achieve time to return and re purchase.

Ps please let us know your thoughts of the 530e in this forum as well.

Thanks for your reply!

Sp.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #27
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520D LCI auto

Quote:

Mass air flow meter
EGR Valve
EGR Cooler

This is my 3rd 5 series and these issues haven’t put me off as I’ve just ordered a 4th - 530e M Sport with Harmon Kardon, Park Assist, Headlight Wash, High Beam Assist, Powered Boot and Folding Mirrors.

Andy
If you could keep us posted on your 530e that'd be great, it's exactly what I'm looking at next!

Happy motoring
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #28
gtthree
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Apples

Could you post a picture of the split diff bushing so that we all know what to look for?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #29
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yup, it's going in on Friday to have it done, will update on the day hopefully
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #30
Apples12
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtthree View Post
Apples

Could you post a picture of the split diff bushing so that we all know what to look for?

Thanks
Hi

See the new thread I've posted
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 03:49 AM   #31
andyrp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
If you could keep us posted on your 530e that'd be great, it's exactly what I'm looking at next!

Happy motoring
Will do. The 530e took a lot of consideration. I was adamant I was getting the 530d M Sport next, then thought company car tax BIK values for diesels are only going one way, then set my heart on the 530i but at the last minute changed my mind and went for the 530e. The tax savings were just too much to ignore and 2 colleagues both rate their 530e’s.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #32
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
Quote:
Will do. The 530e took a lot of consideration. I was adamant I was getting the 530d M Sport next, then thought company car tax BIK values for diesels are only going one way, then set my heart on the 530i but at the last minute changed my mind and went for the 530e. The tax savings were just too much to ignore and 2 colleagues both rate their 530e’s.
My best mate got a 530e as a company car back in September 2017. It wasn't happy in the winter, saying it was too cold to run on battery power. The real world MPG isn't great at all, but the car itself was a stunning place to be. The boot is smaller than the regular G30 saloon thanks to the batteries. Avoid going mad on options; the gesture control is a gimmick that doesn't work very well. Consider the folding rear seats though.
Suzuki GSXR 750 2004/04
Appreciate 0