2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums CANADA Bmw Canada Replacing New Vehicles

09-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
GABMAN
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535XI Med. Blue

Bmw Canada Replacing New Vehicles

As per the following Transport Canada Recall, close to 3000 BMW & Mini Vehicles are being recalled and replaced.

I got a call from my dealer advising me that my 2 month old F10 will be replaced with a new vehicle . The subject vehicles arrived in Canada via the Port of Halifax in February 2015 and got burried in snow and ice. In order to dislodge them a considerable amount of salt was used to melt the ice which
has resulted in possible corrosion that may or could damage electrical components down the road. According to Transport Canada & BMW all affected vehicles will be withdrawn from service , regardless if any damage is currently apparent, if the vehicle
was in Halifax at the time of the storms , it will be replaced.

So if any of my fellow Canadians took delivery after January 2015 , your car may be one of the lucky ones , expect a call from your dealer if you have not already heard from them. Better yet, call them and make sure your car was not in Halifax in February as a sudden failure of the steering can be deadly.

This has got to be costing BMW a small fortune.

Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database
Transport Canada Recall # 2015343
Recall Date 2015/07/30
Notification Type Safety Mfr
System Electrical
Manufacturer Recall Number
Units Affected
Category Car
Recall Details
Certain vehicles, which were parked at the port of entry in Halifax during the ice storms in February 2015, may have been exposed to excessive standing water and salt for an extended period due to this isolated environmental incident. Certain MINI models could have corrosion at the starter motor power supply cable connectors, which could lead to the inability to restart the engine following an engine shutdown by the start-stop (MSA) system, increasing the risk of crash causing injury in a traffic situation. On certain BMW models, the lubrication of some internal components within the steering rack may have been exposed to excessive water or salt which could result in higher than normal steering effort or steering binding, increasing the risk of a crash causing injury and/or damage to property. In addition, electrical wires and/or connectors in all affected vehicles may have been exposed to water or salt, which could lead to increased electrical system resistance, and increase the risk of fire causing injury and/or damage to property. Correction: Owners should contact their selling Retailer regarding this recall. Affected vehicles will be inspected. Some vehicles will be taken out of service immediately and owners will be provided with temporary transportation until a new replacement vehicle is available. All other vehicles are cleared of this safety concern and may continue to be driven until a new replacement vehicle is available. Due to potential concerns about long term vehicle quality, all affected vehicles will ultimately be removed from service.
Make Model Model Year(s) Affected
BMW 2 SERIES 2015
BMW 3 SERIES 2014 2015
BMW 4 SERIES 2015
BMW 5 SERIES 2012 2015
BMW 6 SERIES 2015
BMW 7 SERIES 2015
BMW I3 2014 2015
BMW I8 2014 2015
BMW X1 2015
BMW Z4 2015
MINI 3 DOOR 2015
MINI 5 DOOR 2015
MINI CONVERTIBLE 2015
MINI COUNTRYMAN 2015
MINI COUPE 2014
MINI PACEMAN 2015
MINI ROADSTER 2015
2012 535XI White/Black, MSport, RETIRED
2011 535I, GraphGrey/Oyster, RETIRED

Last edited by GABMAN; 09-10-2015 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 2