2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Smart Home Devices

06-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Smart Home Devices

Hey Gang,

Just wondering what, if any, smart home/automation systems or devices anyone has found success with.

I plan on integrating Alexa/Ring/Sonos/Nest throughout the home this summer little by little. I'd like as much automation and secutity as possible.

I understand adding all of the house's functions and locks to the web seems opposite of security, but I think the redundancy of monitoring and notification negate any potential security risks.

Does anyone have a robust system running yet? Also, do you feel this would add value to a home?

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #2
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

My nest products are rock solid. Other products are hit or miss. You get better integration sticking with one brand through a single app and the devices talk to each other. But sometimes you want something not in the ecosystem. For example my CO detector can talk to my thermostat and turn off the air to prevent circulation of CO. Nest doesn't make a floodlight cam so I went with another brand that I've had some success with and has the features I want.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13290.00
      06-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Hey Gang,

Just wondering what, if any, smart home/automation systems or devices anyone has found success with.

I plan on integrating Alexa/Ring/Sonos/Nest throughout the home this summer little by little. I'd like as much automation and secutity as possible.

I understand adding all of the house's functions and locks to the web seems opposite of security, but I think the redundancy of monitoring and notification negate any potential security risks.

Does anyone have a robust system running yet? Also, do you feel this would add value to a home?
Yes, have Control4 integrated with Sonos, Lutron lighting, t-stats, garage doors, pool, alarm. We have Ring too but you wont be able to integrate it within the automation as the api is closed. Had Crestron before, big pain. Much prefer Control4. As to value, probably doesn't add much. Its either expected in the luxury market or novelty in mid range homes. May make the house sell quicker if anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I have Arlo Cameras, Chamberlain Garage Door Control, August Door Locks, 2Gig Alarm, all working through Google Home.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

All of it is infuckingsane. I sit well left of most of you here so no paranoid mad man act on my behalf but all this shit is nothing more than a a bunch of bugs in your damn house. Google announcing NEST had a microphone no one knew about about should tell you all you need to know.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5139.00
      06-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I have a full Ring setup. Security system (sensors on all lower entryways, motion sensors in major rooms), 4 popup cameras covering the entire outside of the house, and 2 floodlight cameras for the garage. Also have a few smoke/CO detectors that link up with everything and alert us (and the fire department) in the event of a fire or CO leak.

Its worked great so far, plus its only $100/year for monitoring, something most of the other smart alarm systems do not provide at all.
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
I have Arlo Cameras, Chamberlain Garage Door Control, August Door Locks, 2Gig Alarm, all working through Google Home.
I have the momentum garage door opener. Has video and two way communication as well as free cloud recording or SD card.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Hey Gang,

Yes, have Control4 integrated with Sonos, Lutron lighting, t-stats, garage doors, pool, alarm. We have Ring too but you wont be able to integrate it within the automation as the api is closed. Had Crestron before, big pain. Much prefer Control4. As to value, probably doesn't add much. Its either expected in the luxury market or novelty in mid range homes. May make the house sell quicker if anything.
Also forgot Alexa is integrated. So you can say things like "Alexa, turn on pool fountains", etc.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #9
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
"pool fountains"
pic of pool fountains
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Also forgot Alexa is integrated. So you can say things like "Alexa, turn on pool fountains", etc.
"Alexa, pull around the Bentley"

Appreciate 4
2000cs3447.00
Soul_Glo13290.00
      06-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #11
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

I don’t want any one company to monitor everything I have and be able to integrate and mine the data. So I prefer some degree of non-integration, and frankly don’t really need it.

I’ve had Sonos speakers for 9 years, added a few recently, and really like them. Integrated with an existing high-end system in the house so I can stream to that or push from stereo inputs (turntable) to Sonos and cover all rooms and TVs if I want.

Alarm is monitored locally, came with the house. I believe it is Honeywell and I have an app to control it. Separate camera system not attached to the Internet unless I turn that on (which I do infrequently). It has a digital video recorder and a bunch of cameras, all hard-wired (no wireless) ReoLink I believe.

Thermostats are also Honeywell and oddly I have two in the house and they use different apps.

No Nest, Alexa, or similar listening device. Don’t use Siri very often and don’t have “Hey Siri” enabled.

Not paranoid or particularly worried about these things, but I get zero value, don’t want to be marketed to and don’t need the risk, however small.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

The Nest thermostat works great with the app. Just turned on my AC remotely because it's 100 degrees so I want to pre cool my house. Honeywell also makes smart thermostats but if you have an older unit the nest may work better as it can handle unusual wiring setups with older homes. Also got a rebate from the gas co.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
All of it is infuckingsane. I sit well left of most of you here so no paranoid mad man act on my behalf but all this shit is nothing more than a a bunch of bugs in your damn house. Google announcing NEST had a microphone no one knew about about should tell you all you need to know.
BINGO!

I find it laughable when security mentioned in the same sentence as Alexa, NEST, etc. I try to avoid these things like the plague. And one thing people don't associate with why these things are so dangerous. Having a constant communication to some external cloud system is a vulnerability in of itself. Putting aside Amazon, Google, etc being able to collect data off of your systems, it's also another avenue for hackers to run amok on your network.

There's a reason why pretty much all US Federal Agencies prohibit devices from reporting back to the manufacturer and if the feature is baked into the device, that it can be disabled and proven to be disabled by testing/monitoring of said device.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 03:56 AM   #14
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I’m with the others under the foil hat when it comes to Alexi and that type of shit, not for me!

I do, and have had for some time, Sonos amp and speakers throughout the house which I love and would recommend to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 04:29 AM   #15
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

It's not tin foil hat speculation. I actually caught my DirecTV DVR probing my network. I can get into details on how I discovered this if anyone is interested. This crap can happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:00 AM   #16
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

To each his own, but from my perspective I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want all of this tech in their homes. I will confess I have a Nest thermostat mostly because we used to have two homes and I liked being able to pre-cool/heat before we arrived. I have sonos play 1 but not the voice activated ones. I refuse to have Alexa or any similar products in my home. The idea that anyone is listening in or building a profile of me and my family strikes me as too far reaching. I get it, there are already profiles built on my browsing history, on line purchases etc. Loyalty cards and the list goes on, I don't have any loyalty cards FTR. And I don't think anyone is actually monitoring every Alexa conversation but the principal strikes me as too far reaching. I wouldn't let the government into my home without a warrant, why the hell would I let some private company.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5139.00
      06-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #17
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
To each his own, but from my perspective I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want all of this tech in their homes. I will confess I have a Nest thermostat mostly because we used to have two homes and I liked being able to pre-cool/heat before we arrived. I have sonos play 1 but not the voice activated ones. I refuse to have Alexa or any similar products in my home. The idea that anyone is listening in or building a profile of me and my family strikes me as too far reaching. I get it, there are already profiles built on my browsing history, on line purchases etc. Loyalty cards and the list goes on, I don't have any loyalty cards FTR. And I don't think anyone is actually monitoring every Alexa conversation but the principal strikes me as too far reaching. I wouldn't let the government into my home without a warrant, why the hell would I let some private company.
I was faced with the same quandary about getting a smart thermostat. In the end I decided to get a Honeywell unit. While it still reports up to Honeywell's cloud server, I figure Honeywell isn't as potentially dangerous as having Amazon or Google in my house unchecked.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Yeah I tried Alexa and google home but unplugged them as they are listening all the time and would go off at random times from sounds from the TV, etc. I'm fine using my smart home devices without a voice assistant which has too many bugs and privacy issues.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #19
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Any suggestions for one to replace the thermostat guys? I've seen them at Home Depot but would like recommendations for those who've had them for awhile now with good results and easy to use
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #20
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I'd look for one that displays THE FUCKING TEMPERATURE, as in both actual and what it is set to. 90% of the fuckers SHOW THE FUCKING TIME.

Spare me. Idiots.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #21
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Any suggestions for one to replace the thermostat guys? I've seen them at Home Depot but would like recommendations for those who've had them for awhile now with good results and easy to use
Nest seems to be the most popular. At our NC house we had the Emerson Sensi wireless t-stats and they could be added to Alexa, as well as controlled via an app.

Other than that, our "smart home" stuff I pretty much relegated simply to "smart" LED bulbs. It's nice to be able to create routines for outdoor lighting to turn on/off, as well as setting interior lights to a routine if you're going to be away from the house for an extended period of time.

Might give the Nest a try and see if the "learning" capabilities are worth it, at the new house. We'll see.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #22
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I have nest as I've said no complaints. If you don't have a c wire it's pretty much the only choice as the others require it to power the thermostat. I don't have a c wire and the nest hasn't had any problem.
Appreciate 1