2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications JB4 Stage 2 installed! A Must have for all F10 535i!

07-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #67
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
I have the same exact car as you, stock with just a K&N CAI and I've always run map 5 and my car feels incredibly lively and boosts hard, 16-17psi peaks, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #68
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

No comparison to ECU flash the power delivery alone is a reason to move to ECU flash from JB4. Plus, if you automatic and want to get xHP trans tune than you might as well be on ECU flash. Maybe my car didn't like JB4 for some reason, but I don't see any reason to use JB4 when true flash is available. Why trick ECU when you can simply tell ECU to make more boost and ECU know about all other changing variables with the high boost. I had JB4 for 2 years and when I switched over to MHD I was like damn I was missing this smoothness.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #69
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMSteven View Post
I have the same exact car as you, stock with just a K&N CAI and I've always run map 5 and my car feels incredibly lively and boosts hard, 16-17psi peaks, no issues.
I don't know what octane you running but my research shows that map 5 barely hits 16-17psi on pump gas. Maybe occasionally... I always had around 15 psi though on 93 Oct with k&n aircharger intake and catless downpipe. Plus I don't know how you could hit that high all time knowing that map 5 is auto tune and every pull is different. When you say peak maybe you mean it goes to 16-17 psi for a second and drops down unless you mean it carries that psi on pump gas all the way to 6k rpm. I would have to see logs for that.

Last edited by ziekxq; 07-30-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 11:49 PM   #70
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
No comparison to ECU flash the power delivery alone is a reason to move to ECU flash from JB4. Plus, if you automatic and want to get xHP trans tune than you might as well be on ECU flash. Maybe my car didn't like JB4 for some reason, but I don't see any reason to use JB4 when true flash is available. Why trick ECU when you can simply tell ECU to make more boost and ECU know about all other changing variables with the high boost. I had JB4 for 2 years and when I switched over to MHD I was like damn I was missing this smoothness.
i'll probably down the road end up doing the ECU flash but for now just gonna play around with the JB4 since I got it for dirt cheap. i'll be installing the retrofit harness for the OBD connection since I have the older version. Burgertuning did mention to update the firmware once I install it. anyone know why I would need to update the firmware?

here's his response to the email I sent:

me:
just now getting around to installing the retrofit conversion. you noted on an earlier response " That's older style type A
JB4. It's best to upgrade to OBDII interface cable and
load the latest firmware"

Burgertuning:
You need the data cable or the bluetooth kit.

F10 535i right? Firmware is posted here on the bottom of the first post.

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18588

i'll check out the link and read it but if anyone can just give me the jist of the reason in simple terms since sometimes it can be a totally different language when it comes to tuning
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 07-30-2019 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:16 AM   #71
MBWORLDZ2019
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Oh btw I forgot to ask you. Since I will be getting the JB plus. Mike from
X-ph said make sure I have harness B ? I don't know what he means by that.
Is our 2011 f10 535i tmap sensor on the charge pipe is harness B ?

Do you think if I get one from.him, would it fit my car straight out from the box?

Thanks.

Quote:
Yeah MHD and BM3 are ecu flash that you can do your self as long as you have a battery charger. It took me 25 mins do it on my 2011 535i, much better power delivery and you can do Stage 2 map on 93oct. I just had malfunction after malfunction with JB4.

Considering you have only 91 Oct you probably be good with cheaper JB plus.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:31 AM   #72
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWORLDZ2019 View Post
Oh btw I forgot to ask you. Since I will be getting the JB plus. Mike from
X-ph said make sure I have harness B ? I don't know what he means by that.
Is our 2011 f10 535i tmap sensor on the charge pipe is harness B ?

Do you think if I get one from.him, would it fit my car straight out from the box?

Thanks.
Burgertuning has pictures on their website to identify the differences between harness A and harness B. you'll need to know which one you have to determine which one you'll need

here's the link:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...07119927734287
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~

Last edited by lsturbointeg; 07-31-2019 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #73
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't know what octane you running but my research shows that map 5 barely hits 16-17psi on pump gas. Maybe occasionally... I always had around 15 psi though on 93 Oct with k&n aircharger intake and catless downpipe. Plus I don't know how you could hit that high all time knowing that map 5 is auto tune and every pull is different. When you say peak maybe you mean it goes to 16-17 psi for a second and drops down unless you mean it carries that psi on pump gas all the way to 6k rpm. I would have to see logs for that.
93 octane pump in Central Florida, and yes that's what I meant by peak, in 4th gear for example it will jump up to around 16-17psi and hold at around 15psi until around 5500 rpm
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #74
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So have some questions I need to ask. I got everything installed. However when trying to use the steering wheel.controls it's not doing anything? I watched a few YouTube videos and all seem to be different. I even tried all suggestions. How can I tell if the JB4 has got power going to it? Or if it's even connected? I'm pretty sure i did everything correctly as it wasn't that hard to do. Any help guys
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 04:55 PM   #75
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
So have some questions I need to ask. I got everything installed. However when trying to use the steering wheel.controls it's not doing anything? I watched a few YouTube videos and all seem to be different. I even tried all suggestions. How can I tell if the JB4 has got power going to it? Or if it's even connected? I'm pretty sure i did everything correctly as it wasn't that hard to do. Any help guys
Maybe the BC button support was added with newer firmware... It is not hard to update the firmware and takes literally 2 mins. Why are you scared of updating the firmware lol? Just connect USB to a laptop and download the latest firmware without the iso mod and you should be good.

If you need help than we can do TeamViewer session if you like. But I think you will figure it out.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #76
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe the BC button support was added with newer firmware... It is not hard to update the firmware and takes literally 2 mins. Why are you scared of updating the firmware lol? Just connect USB to a laptop and download the latest firmware without the iso mod and you should be good.

If you need help than we can do TeamViewer session if you like. But I think you will figure it out.
Actually my son was able to hook his laptop to the JB4. He says the JB4 looks like it has the current firmware and he was able to set it to map 5. Car feels good. Just no steering controls still
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #77
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I found my problem after researching. Looks like I need to hook up my laptop and enable the steering wheel control feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaiat View Post
Hey guys,

It's my first post here but I've been scouring these forums ever since I bought my F10 535. I felt compelled to write this up so anyone out there with an F10 535 doesn't have the same issue. I recently bought and had installed the JB4 and a VRSF downpipe on my car. When I ordered the JB4 I opted out of ordering the usb cable because I wasn't going to do any dyno readings and it was listed as optional. Once my mechanic installed the tune and the pipe, we were unable to change the maps via the BC button, the mechanic checked all the connections again and again but still there was no sign of life from the JB4. Finally, after researching it more, he found out that in the F10, the tune comes preset to map 1 and in order to activate the BC button you need to hook up the USB cable and enable the option to change the maps. I was a little upset because there wasn't a single note of that on the ordering page and now I would have to wait a few more days to receive the cable plus the extra expense. I emailed BMS and luckily Ando got back to me within a few minutes and said I could pick up the cable in person at their warehouse so I went there the same day. The mechanic hooked it up and now all is good. For anyone who's getting the JB4 for their F10, the usb cable or the bluetooth connection is not optional, its mandatory!

I gotta say, the change in performance with the tune and the downpipe is awesome, it is significantly quicker and more responsive. I'm using map 5 since the highest octane grade we have here is 91. I was expecting a little more noise from the downpipe though, it is louder on cold start but when its warm at idle it sounds like stock. Next upgrade is an exhaust and charge pipe. Just gotta decide between Remus, Dinan or M performance.

Coming from a Mercedes E class, I'm thoroughly loving and enjoying my 535, especially now with these mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #78
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Yeah it has been a while since I used JB4 lol. But I would still update the firmware.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #79
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it has been a while since I used JB4 lol. But I would still update the firmware.
Firmware is current. I was able to verify with Ando at Burgertuning. Looks like I need to hookup the laptop and enable the steering wheel function. So simple fix hopefully
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #80
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

so my son and I tried doing this and the BC function still does not work. I want to make sure we are doing this correctly. so where is says Future Use A that box shoud have "1" correct? and than we have to select Options and have "2" selected?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:28 PM   #81
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashhell View Post
Recently I been Fed up with waiting for Dinan to release a tune for F10 535i, along with feeling the need for more power, I decided to go with the JB4 stage 2 tune from Burger Motorsports.
From the Dyno Ive seen I figure this would be a slight barely noticeable improvement on the car, but Boy was I wrong! The tune blew my mind away! Completely off my head and into Outer space! I can not believe how an inexpensive little box could change the car so much.

Pros:
- My biggest complaint against the F10 5 series was the throttle response. The car while smooth is very lazy on the throttle. There is a half second delay between stomping on the gas and the actually car moving. Sometimes you would even fall behind traffic because of it. This tune completely changed it. The car suddenly becomes a lot more responsive. At the lightest touch of gas, the car would start moving. It actually made the 535i felt like my F30 335i. Its as if the car lost 500 lbs!
- Installation was really easy. The installation really only took 5 minutes. Most of the cables are just plug and play. Some slots were a little hard to reach, but no big deal. People were complaining how the stage 2 has to tap in 2 wires. But Terry has included some nice little tool so it goes unnoticeable. (Props to Terry Burger who personally installed the tune for me )
- The price is perfect. Unlike the $3k to $4k 550i tune charge by Dinan. The Burger tune is only $529. For the improvement, this price is completely reasonable. Wouldnt mind paying twice as much to be honest.
- And of course, Power. According to the Burger Website, the N55 JB4 stage 2 tune gives +80HP and +100lb torque. Does it feel like it? You bet your ass it does! In Sports or Manual Shift, the car accelerates violently. At full throttle, the traction control would kick in every time. I cant even open it up around town now, because how fast it accelerates. It makes the car feel like a muscle car, like the car has 400HP! (At least my butt dyno tells me it does )

Cons:
- There are one or two cons about the tune. One thing many people would be disappointed to hear is the Turbo Lag didnt go away. I guess its impossible to get rid of it since even the M5 have it. But it is minimized with the tune. You cant really feel it unless you stomp it full throttle suddenly.
- Burger is still working on adding some of the features to the tune, such as on dash map changing, etc. The only way to change the map now is to use a USB cable and Laptop, no biggie

So in the end, I would recommend the tune to all F10 535i owners. I would go to even say it is a must have. Even if you dont need the extra power, the tune makes the car so much more responsive and easier to drive around town. On highway too, since the car accelerate much quicker, which allows much easier lane change and passing.
Im in love with the tune. :thumbup:

Did you have any bolt on modifications before you did this? I think for starters I'm going to go the stage one route and see how it goes but you post seems very promising regarding stage two tuning.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 12:09 AM   #82
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Vasha View Post
Did you have any bolt on modifications before you did this? I think for starters I'm going to go the stage one route and see how it goes but you post seems very promising regarding stage two tuning.
Not sure why you would waste money on JB4 when there is proper flash tuning available.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #83
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
In coding, 0 means false so it would make sense that feature A needs to be 1 if you want it "true".

But I agree, go with a flash tune.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #84
KATYRA
Banned
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

- There are one or two cons about the tune. One thing many xender discord omegle people would be disappointed to hear is the Turbo Lag didnt go away. I guess its impossible to get rid of it since even the M5 have it. But it is minimized with the tune. You cant really feel it unless you stomp it full throttle suddenly.

Last edited by KATYRA; 11-29-2019 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #85
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just a quick question. I am planning to run stage 2 in the eventual future but I still don't know if there are any reliability costs that come with it. I know that pushing the engine harder will always yield less reliability but I am talking about big maintenance items such as replacing turbos and whatnot. I am at about 107k miles so I wonder if this is something I need to worry about. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:55 PM   #86
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Just a quick question. I am planning to run stage 2 in the eventual future but I still don't know if there are any reliability costs that come with it. I know that pushing the engine harder will always yield less reliability but I am talking about big maintenance items such as replacing turbos and whatnot. I am at about 107k miles so I wonder if this is something I need to worry about. Thanks
My understanding is that you also need 93+ octane. One reason I haven't done this or any other power adder is we only have 91 octane in Kommiefornya.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #87
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
sold my JB4. makes sense to me not to push the car if all you're gong to do is trick the ecu to make boost. i would invest in MHD or Bootmod for better results
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:47 PM   #88
David_Vasha
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
sold my JB4. makes sense to me not to push the car if all you're gong to do is trick the ecu to make boost. i would invest in MHD or Bootmod for better results
Would you say it's safe to go with a tune such as mhd stage 2+? I essentially want to get the most power without having to upgrade major things such as fuel pump, turbos, etc.
Appreciate 0