2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications My Feb 2019 BM3 vs MHD thread

02-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #1
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

My Feb 2019 BM3 vs MHD thread

OK - so - weird title. I start this thread because things have changed very quickly in BM3 and MHD ECU flash circles. Searching isn't as helpful as for some other topics because even information from last summer is now outdated and invalid. Additionally, what people want from a tune varies widely. Maybe the thread will help someone else decide down the road.

The situation:
My extended warranties are up. My drivetrain is stock N55 PWG. My F10 is in excellent shape and I'm likely to hang on to it. All that being said, we all know that a base suspension, X-Drive, no-DHP, no-DEC, no-ARS, 8AT F10 535xi is going to drive nothing like the 704 sport package, MT, RWD E39, E46 and E90s that I love to drive.

I'm looking at doing a few things to result in a more engaging driving experience from my F10 to close the gap to the old greats in terms of driving experience. I don't give a crap about beating someone else by half a car length to the next stop light. My drivetrain is stock and, other than software like MHD/BM3/xHP/xDelete, is likely to stay that way. I have an M Performance Exhaust I run in the summer for driving engagement, not power gains. I have beefed up anti-sway bars and once I get over the price tag I'm hoping to put KWv3s on and I'm done.

From a tune I wouldn't mind more power, ability to disable cold start, I'd like to add modest burbles, more responsiveness, and the ability to configure/log/read/reset parameters to understand and control what's going on. I am likely to run a stage 1 91 or 93 map, possibly a stage 2 and watch my temperatures with something like a P3.

From what I see right now:

- performance is similar, though there are stories out there of BM3 resulting in more power on modified cars. I think they trade blows and every map version makes progress.

- both MHD and BM3 have excellent driveability because they are an ECU flash.

- both offer "return to stock", both stock map, and fully stock with ECU re-locked just in case that's required for dealers or smog checks.

- both MHD and BM3 have switchable options like top speed limiter, cold start and burbles. In stock form, however, BM3 allows you to click "edit" and change everything, including about 7-8 sliders for burble tuning alone (duration, aggressiveness, min/max RPM, min/max road speed). Everything else is opened up if you want to start with an OTS map and alter it slightly. MHD gives you a burble slider and I don't believe it has editing capability with the basic license. Note - minute tuning to burbles isn't necessarily the focus, but an indication of the "tweakability" offered by the BM3 option. If you can do this just for burbles...

- BM3 is more expensive, but for that price you get all maps, logging, full editing, one time transfer of license to another VIN, cloud storage for maps, logs and stock ECU backup. Once you factor everything in and try to purchase the equivalent for MHD they're pretty close.

- BM3 looks and feels a lot more like a "platform" to step off of. It does more, can still do more, and runs on windows, mac, android and IOS. It uses an agent for OBD interface which is separate from control/log/flash, but can still run solely on my "car tools" laptop with ENET cable. I have a Raspberry Pi3 around and could download the software to flash to it for free and have wifi interface to the car on the go.

- I LOVE "options" - things to make the way I want. What else might come along? Throttle pedal response curves? Linear throttle setting that acts like a bowden cable from the 90s with no adaptation ever? I feel like the platform as BM3 has built it makes it easier to offer more to users.

- MHD is a phone app. It's both pro and con. Can do "less", but is also easier to whip out on the go and fix/change something without so much depending on the cloud.

- BM3 depends heavily on the cloud. This is a pro and con. If a BM3 principal decides they don't want to do this any more, the whole platform could disappear and be useless. I wonder if MHD would still be able to flash to stock from backup files on phone or other storage at the very least. If www.bootmod3.net goes away, I don't think BM3 can do anything at all.

- If I've read correctly, Pro Tuning Freaks HQ is about a 20 minute drive from me. MHD is in Germany. Likely to matter? No. But maybe one day it could...

- Both seem to have great support online

- MHD seems "more popular". Maybe because you can get on board for less $$?

I'm curious about others who have looked at the same things and whether I've correctly understood some of the differences between the two.

In the past I've been burned by stuff that's like VHS vs. Beta. I spend time evaluating, determine that Beta is clearly superior, jump on board, then the market chooses VHS for some stupid reason and now I need to switch. Right now I'm favouring BM3 but wonder if I'm not making the same mistake again...

I know that "I'll be fine with either". It's just car ECU software. I'm still interested in experiences out there. It's not a life-altering chunk of change but I'd still like to go the best direction.

Last edited by Surly73; 02-21-2019 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

BM3, widely used, more updates added, and support is great.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      02-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
SC300T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3, 540xi, 535ix GT

Seems to me that the updating agent within BM3 has more issues (or just more user involvement on the boards). I get facebook feeds for both BM3 and MHD as well as the whatsapp group for MHD, and it seems like the MHD update process is more solid, and that users have fewer issues due to the way it is setup. I have MHD, but I really wouldn't hesitate to do either. With BM3, you can sell and re-sell your license. With MHD, it is VIN locked. Also anecdotally, it seems MHD is more basic, smoother and less powerful, although like you said it seems they go back and forth with both feature set and performance.

For me, it seems like you are on a good path. M-Performance exhaust, DP, and KW-V3 are at the top of my list. I don't want to lower my car much, but want that E39 704 suspension tune you speak of. 18psi with no taper on a pure stg 2 would be nice, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC300T View Post
Seems to me that the updating agent within BM3 has more issues (or just more user involvement on the boards).
Just curious - by this are you referring to needing to reflash with "ONLINE RECODE" function because of difficulties or error messages? Or something else?

Quote:
For me, it seems like you are on a good path. M-Performance exhaust, DP, and KW-V3 are at the top of my list. I don't want to lower my car much, but want that E39 704 suspension tune you speak of. 18psi with no taper on a pure stg 2 would be nice, too.
Yep. I would probably be looking at ride height from another model, like M5 or ZCP M5 ride height and call it a day. It's a year-round daily driver for me, and my only car. I'd just like it a little more engaging.

There's a possibility I would consider something like an FMIC if there was a well-priced option with a decent DIY installation kit. Even without a tune or high demands, keeping things that require cooling even cooler appeals to the engineer in me. DP - I'll probably never bother without really good reason (but I know what most of the acronyms mean )
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So - I realize my post is wordy, particularly since I documented how I see the comparison of the two products and there are a number of points to compare.

Let's phrase a different way - other than price (where ultimately "value" is determined by me, the purchaser) would there be any reasons NOT to go BM3? Does MHD do things that I didn't think it did? Have I overlooked any intrinsic limitations to BM3.

Also - I need to state - I'm so happy that we have both of these true ECU tunes available to us to DIY including active development of OTS maps. They are a real game changer compared to just a couple of years ago when MPPK was the only option, and even then only with EWG. From what I can see both of these are excellent products, with a few pros/cons to each implementation.

This is not an "X sucks, Y is great" thread in any way. I'm just trying to choose the best one for me and my vehicle and ensure that I properly understand where the two products differ.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

As mentioned in another thread, MHD just released OTS maps specifically "supporting" xHP. I don't know what that means, but I do know that a previous MHD release (1.01 perhaps) said that it "fixed" the transmission torque limits in 3rd and 6th. From what I understand, engine tunes "fix" these torque limits by lying to the TCU about torque output. I wonder if "supporting" xHP just means not "lying" any more? xHP also disables the 3rd and 6th gear torque limits directly in the TCU.

Hopefully we'll see more technical details. We'll see if BM3 mentions similar specific development to mesh with xHP.

MHD release: https://www.facebook.com/MHDtuning/p...type=3&theater

xHP release: https://www.facebook.com/xhpflashtoo...93008491015168

EDIT: And MHD has added a linear throttle mapping option (something I've been wanting since the advent of drive-by-wire)

Last edited by Surly73; 03-03-2019 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

So - since this is "my" thread, I thought I'd post some musings. I haven't been in an extreme hurry since it's still cold, winter-tire season where I am but it's coming to an end and I'm getting a little antsy to pick a tune. Some times I'll flip between my choice within the same day.

As I've mentioned, I have no DEC switch (no COMFORT/SPORT) which is somewhat uncommon on the F-series. XHP (the transmission tune folks) have said they need to do a partial rewrite to properly support my car, so this difference in my vehicle can make a difference to tuners and software folks.

I'm wondering about things like throttle mapping, burble settings etc... which could have different COMFORT/SPORT/SPORT+ maps. What happens when you have none of those? Always COMFORT? Or some corner case in the code that almost no one needs?

I reached out to BM3 to inquire about a handful of things including the DEC issues. They responded very quickly and authoritatively answered everything but the DEC question. They fell back on their 14 or 30 day money back guarantee - I should try it and if I don't like it get a refund. While that's fair, I suppose, it's not informative about their approach to non-DEC cars. Unless I try multiple tunes how will I make an opinion?

I reached out to MHD a few days ago via email. They haven't responded yet at all.

Other observations - MHD's recent 1.11 release for N55 shows 1/ specific support for XHP 2/ linear throttle mode.

Linear throttle mode interests me, since it would be predictable regardless of DEC and I believe it's a driving characteristic I would like. Specific searches show BM3 authours saying years ago that they'll likely add linear and custom throttle mapping options but they aren't real yet. They could release it tomorrow - who knows.

With regards to XHP support - a big thing MHD did was rescale the engine's torque output values to the TCU to get around the factory 3rd and 6th gear torque limits. It's possible that "supporting" XHP is simply removing that rescaling since it can mess up shift quality and XHP removes the torque limits in the code/maps. I think it's nice that MHD offers flash options specifically for 8AT, 8AT with tq limit workaround, ALPINA, XHP and MT. BM3 has no options or changes regardless of which transmission.

Moreover, I got thinking that there might be more to transmission-aware mapping than just the tq rescale - what about throttle mapping and throttle position. The TCU changes the way shifts work based on throttle demand. I don't know if this is raw pedal position, or "torque demand" number after scaling by the throttle mapping. 50% throttle pedal on a linear throttle map is way different than 50% throttle pedal on a factory SPORT+ map (it's probably actually WOT by that time) so could play a huge factor in shift characteristics.

Finally - cost. BM3 would be $595US+tax for the whole platform, and another $49US+tax for a full map pack. BM3 includes ONE MAP with purchase and all the rest for $49. MHD is $249US+tax for the flasher and includes a full MAP STAGE (e.g. Stage 1 ALL OCTANES) with a $99US+tax map pack. I don't know if I'll ever do much logging assuming I don't have problems and I'll probably always be stage 1 but may like the option of owning both 93 and 91 fuel options.

BM3 -> $644US+tax for stage 1 91 and 93 out the door
MHD -> $349US+tax for stage 1 91 and 93 out the door

So if I went MHD I would pay 45% less if I don't want logging, MHD offers linear throttle mapping today. I have to admit I'm leaning MHD. I would like a response to my DEC inquiry though.

Last edited by Surly73; 03-23-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
So - since this is "my" thread, I thought I'd post some musings. I haven't been in an extreme hurry since it's still cold, winter-tire season where I am but it's coming to an end and I'm getting a little antsy to pick a tune. Some times I'll flip between my choice within the same day.

As I've mentioned, I have no DEC switch (no COMFORT/SPORT) which is somewhat uncommon on the F-series. XHP (the transmission tune folks) have said they need to do a partial rewrite to properly support my car, so this difference in my vehicle can make a difference to tuners and software folks.

I'm wondering about things like throttle mapping, burble settings etc... which could have different COMFORT/SPORT/SPORT+ maps. What happens when you have none of those? Always COMFORT? Or some corner case in the code that almost no one needs?

I reached out to BM3 to inquire about a handful of things including the DEC issues. They responded very quickly and authoritatively answered everything but the DEC question. They fell back on their 14 or 30 day money back guarantee - I should try it and if I don't like it get a refund. While that's fair, I suppose, it's not informative about their approach to non-DEC cars. Unless I try multiple tunes how will I make an opinion?

I reached out to MHD a few days ago via email. They haven't responded yet at all.

Other observations - MHD's recent 1.11 release for N55 shows 1/ specific support for XHP 2/ linear throttle mode.

Linear throttle mode interests me, since it would be predictable regardless of DEC and I believe it's a driving characteristic I would like. Specific searches show BM3 authours saying years ago that they'll likely add linear and custom throttle mapping options but they aren't real yet. They could release it tomorrow - who knows.

With regards to XHP support - a big thing MHD did was rescale the engine's torque output values to the TCU to get around the factory 3rd and 6th gear torque limits. It's possible that "supporting" XHP is simply removing that rescaling since it can mess up shift quality and XHP removes the torque limits in the code/maps. I think it's nice that MHD offers flash options specifically for 8AT, 8AT with tq limit workaround, ALPINA, XHP and MT. BM3 has no options or changes regardless of which transmission.

Moreover, I got thinking that there might be more to transmission-aware mapping than just the tq rescale - what about throttle mapping and throttle position. The TCU changes the way shifts work based on throttle demand. I don't know if this is raw pedal position, or "torque demand" number after scaling by the throttle mapping. 50% throttle pedal on a linear throttle map is way different than 50% throttle pedal on a factory SPORT+ map (it's probably actually WOT by that time) so could play a huge factor in shift characteristics.

Finally - cost. BM3 would be $595US+tax for the whole platform, and another $49US+tax for a full map pack. BM3 includes ONE MAP with purchase and all the rest for $49. MHD is $249US+tax for the flasher and includes a full MAP STAGE (e.g. Stage 1 ALL OCTANES) with a $99US+tax map pack. I don't know if I'll ever do much logging assuming I don't have problems and I'll probably always be stage 1 but may like the option of owning both 93 and 91 fuel options.

BM3 -> $644US+tax for stage 1 91 and 93 out the door
MHD -> $349US+tax for stage 1 91 and 93 out the door

So if I went MHD I would pay 45% less if I don't want logging, MHD offers linear throttle mapping today. I have to admit I'm leaning MHD. I would like a response to my DEC inquiry though.
Both are good but like what sc300t said... bm3 has a lot of issues with agent and issues while flashing... mhd is idiot proof I think... don't really hear about mhd ppl having issues... I'm actually on both fb group too
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I've received my first response from MHD. They had no idea cars were made without DEC. they assume it will use "comfort" parameters all the time.

It's better than BM3's "try it and see" response I suppose. Kind of surprised that both major players don't really seem to know....

As a matter of principle I'm perfectly happy with no DEC switch and a car that drives the same all the time.... I have no DHP, ARS, ASD, and have hydraulic steering instead of electric.

Last edited by Surly73; 03-25-2019 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #10
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I pulled the trigger on MHD Stage 1 OTS tonight. Once I found that tax was not going to be added to MHD, but was to BM3, it seemed pretty clear to me. $440CAD for MHD and all Stage 1 maps, $1056CAD for BM3 with all maps (most of which I'd never use). It was a tough call and I was flip-flopping until the end.

It's just below freezing tonight and I didn't have much driving to do this evening. First flash was 91oct with normal throttle mapping. Very noticeably quicker. Too quick for any of the locations I was driving, and I got a little bucking at a couple of stop signs due to having more power faster before the torque convertor even let me start rolling. (My TC acts a little clumsy, hoping a fluid/filter change this spring cleans that up).

I reflashed adding the linear throttle option I was looking forward to for another short drive this evening. It's STILL faster than the stock "marketing" throttle map that's pretty much maxed out by 60% pedal, and the last 50% just keeps pulling harder. Wow.

I need to let the car and myself adapt. The linear throttle option is a winner for me personally. With the power gains it's even more responsive than I thought it would be. I may be experiencing some lumpy throttle mapping or it may just be turbo lag becoming more pronounced. Need more drive time. (and to get my winter tires off. and my MPE back on.) Best $440 I've ever spent on my F10.

Last edited by Surly73; 03-25-2019 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Quote:
I pulled the trigger on MHD Stage 1 OTS tonight. Once I found that tax was not going to be added to MHD, but was to BM3, it seemed pretty clear to me. $440CAD for MHD and all Stage 1 maps, $1056CAD for BM3 with all maps (most of which I'd never use). It was a tough call and I was flip-flopping until the end.

It's just below freezing tonight and I didn't have much driving to do this evening. First flash was 91oct with normal throttle mapping. Very noticeably quicker. Too quick for any of the locations I was driving, and I got a little bucking at a couple of stop signs due to having more power faster before the torque convertor even let me start rolling. (My TC acts a little clumsy, hoping a fluid/filter change this spring cleans that up).

I reflashed adding the linear throttle option I was looking forward to for another short drive this evening. It's STILL faster than the stock "marketing" throttle map that's pretty much maxed out by 60% pedal, and the last 50% just keeps pulling harder. Wow.

I need to let the car and myself adapt. The linear throttle option is a winner for me personally. With the power gains it's even more responsive than I thought it would be. I may be experiencing some lumpy throttle mapping or it may just be turbo lag becoming more pronounced. Need more drive time. (and to get my winter tires off. and my MPE back on.) Best $440 I've ever spent on my F10.
Any long term comments on the tune? So the $249 module comes with a map flash as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #12
baconbits
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Any long term comments on the tune? So the $249 module comes with a map flash as well?
$249 USD for the flasher, $99 more for a map pack (stage 1/1+ or 2/2+, etc), and $99 more for the (edit) monitoring portion.

Last edited by baconbits; 11-13-2019 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #13
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits View Post
$249 USD for the flasher, $99 more for a map pack (stage 1/1+ or 2/2+, etc), and $99 more for the code reader portion.
For monitor the code reader is free even if you don't any license.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #14
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
I still love "linear throttle mapping" for myself, although some don't like that it can make the car feel "slower". The way I see it, you get more precise and predictable control of power delivery. Works for me.

Not a complaint but - I feel, but have no evidence, that compared to stock 1/ turbo lag may be slightly increased 2/ low rpm torque may be slightly decreased.

I've been planning to go back to factory maps and do some experimentation but basically never get to it. I have theories though.

The turbo lag increase could be just my impressions, because the targets and output are higher, it takes longer to get to target and it just feels like there's more lag. I'm not 100% convinced of this though.

My possible theory on the low rpm loss may be that the OTS map tuner is being conservative since low rpm / high load represents the greatest risk of damaging pre-ignition (knock). Because OTS maps are often applied without any datalogging or verification by a knowledgeable tuner, they dial it back a little in the highest risk area of operation. I've read that this is also the region where modern forced induction DI engines are the most efficient, so the factory software (both engine and transmission) like to operate in this area. I've spent most of my BMW-driving years with M52, M52TU, N52 engines - normally aspirated sixes, all manual transmission - which you have to work a little to keep 'on cam' while driving to have some fun. I find that after installing MHD my N55 is a little more like that and a little less "torque everywhere". It suits my style so it's not a complaint - keep the revs up a little and anticipate when you're going to want to roll on the throttle and suirt out of a corner and it's all good (and much faster than stock).

I don't consider either a reason not to buy and I don't know if BM3 would be any different. I'd be interested in whether any longterm BM3 users feel anything similar.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
baconbits
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
For monitor the code reader is free even if you don't any license.
Woops, that's it. My b.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #16
MatthewLC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Since no one else has any long term feedback on Bootmod3, I'll provide my input. I've been using it for about 1-1.5 years.

If you don't feel like reading all my feedback the summary is: Bootmod3 and MHD both achieve the same overal result. It really comes down to which "nuances" you prefer of each platform (Ex. Android only vs. multi platform). Power is practically going to be the same, one might make slightly more than the other but there's so many variables that play into power output that I believe it's a wash.

Anyways, there were a few reasons why I decided to go with Bootmod3. The biggest being, I already had an enet cable and I don't own any Android devices. The additional costs associated with having to buy a tablet/phone, K-DCAN cable (which would really has no other user on an F10) and having the ability to use my laptop to flash the car is what sold me. Plus I figured it would be cool to support a local company.

Flashing is quick, the first unlock took a few minutes from what I can recall. The agent will automatically update if it's out of date, which is nice. It works well on Mac OS or Windows. This is nice when I'm using bootcamp on my mac, I don't have to bother switching back. I've flashed the DME maybe 30-40 times so far and it's super quick. Map changes don't ever take more than 30 seconds. Map flashes are quick enough that I don't ever worry about hooking up a charger. Map "configs" are practically the same, you can select the burbles, cold start delete, etc... Pretty much the same options as MHD except Bootmod3 does not have a "linear throttle" setting.

The other thing that sold me is the built in map editor. My intent was always to mess around and create my own tune/map. This might get slightly technical but with MHD you can still create/edit maps but that requires additional steps. You would have to the save the bin, download/install Tuner Pro, obtain the correct XDF file and perform all the changes to the bin file in Tuner Pro. From there you would have to transfer the map back to MHD and flash the car. With Bootmod3 it's all in one place, there is no need to select an XDF file (it's all done automatically) and you can even flash/datalog from the map editor screen. The other benefit I've found is when comparing the public XDF that MHD has released vs. Bootmod3, is that Bootmod3 has significantly more tables defined. Although I haven't really found any use for the additional tables so far(way over my head) but it's nice to know it's all there.

Now to the things that are annoying. The UI for Bootmod3 is through the web browser. The agent is just used to connect to the car and perform that task of flashing. This means you have to have an internet connection in order to launch the UI. You can disconnect and work "offline" but it requires a one time web/data connection to log in and load the interface. All of the maps/datalogs are stored in the cloud. To flash a map you either need to ensure you're connect to the web or you have to remember to download the map ahead of time to be able to flash offline.

The other thing that is annoying, for a small group of people, is the OTS maps. If you're only planning to use the OTS maps and ONLY a have 2011 F10 n55 (especially with no DEC switch) I would likely recommend MHD. The 2011 F10 basically has the same engine/fuel system/dme as the E90 N55. No other F series platform uses the same combination other than the 2011 F10. MHD has spent a lot more time refining these maps since the E90 community is much larger and my assumption is that you might get a slightly better refined OTS map. The last time the Bootmod3 OTS maps for the 2011 have been updated are close to 1.5 years ago. This doesn't mean that the OTS maps are bad but you should be aware that Bootmod3's core market are 2012+ F series cars, so updates will be significantly less frequent due to the small market size.

I had an issue with my car feeling laggy and then having a sudden rush of power with the OTS maps. Went over the car a bunch, thought it was a mechanical issue. Turns it out is was tune related. Because I did not have a DEC switch, I couldn't take advantage of the enhanced throttle/spool maps and the car was always in comfort mode. Raised a ticket with Bootmod3 but they didn't seem too interested in assisting. They had suggested a custom tune. I've put together my own custom tune (Similar to what I would call a "stage 0.5" map) and it solved the laggy feeling. This also meant I couldn't use the built in burble adjuster cause it only controls the burbles in Sport & Sport+ and with no DEC switch I couldn't put my car in either mode. The other item related to the burbles is that even when I set the burbles to Off, it wouldn't turn off. The car would continue to use the default burble settings in the OTS map.

My car is a 6spd so I haven't used the transmission flash. From my understanding all it does is just raise the torque limits, so there’s no need to mask the torque output in maps. I don't believe there are any shift improvements.

Anyways, that's most everything. I’ll eventually add my feedback on the wifi agent and Surly73 I have a theory on what might be causing your “lag” with linear mapping. This is only based on my small experience tuning the BMW DME and torque based mapping but I'll stop rambling for now...lol

Last edited by MatthewLC; 11-05-2019 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #17
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLC View Post
The other thing that is annoying, for a small group of people, is the OTS maps. If you're only planning to use the OTS maps and ONLY a have 2011 F10 n55 (especially with no DEC switch) I would likely recommend MHD.
Holy smokes, that's me! (and almost no one else!)

This lack of DEC switch has been a real pain, to be honest. This was a complicating issue for xHP too. I waffle on retrofitting it just so that my platform isn't so different, even though all it will really control is the tunes.

Quote:
Anyways, that's most everything. I’ll eventually add my feedback on the wifi agent and Surly73 I have a theory on what might be causing your “lag” with linear mapping. This is only based on my small experience tuning the BMW DME and torque based mapping but I'll stop rambling for now...lol
I'm all ears.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #18
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Quote:
Holy smokes, that's me! (and almost no one else!)

This lack of DEC switch has been a real pain, to be honest. This was a complicating issue for xHP too. I waffle on retrofitting it just so that my platform isn't so different, even though all it will really control is the tunes.

I'm all ears.
I don't have DEC switch and I am 2011 F10 535i as well... I have had zero issues with xHP or MHD. The only thing I can think of that I can't utilize from xHP is last known settings in comfort mode as I don't have comfort mode lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #19
benpatti
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Extremely new to tuning and looking to purchase the MHD. CPO warranty is over but purchased aftermarket extended warranty through dealer a week ago. If I have any issues with the car, I am assuming I should revert the tune back to stock before bringing my car in. Is that correct?

Also, I assume I don’t need any mods to my exhausts, intake, etc if I want to only make a stage 1 mod. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:54 PM   #20
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLC View Post
My car is a 6spd so I haven't used the transmission flash. From my understanding all it does is just raise the torque limits, so there’s no need to mask the torque output in maps. I don't believe there are any shift improvements.
I have a 6sp as well, and THAT is why I went with MHD - they have shift bog delete. Read up on it... it's an axel breaker and makes a HUGE difference. I confirmed that BM3 does not have this feature.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #21
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpatti View Post
Extremely new to tuning and looking to purchase the MHD. CPO warranty is over but purchased aftermarket extended warranty through dealer a week ago. If I have any issues with the car, I am assuming I should revert the tune back to stock before bringing my car in. Is that correct?

Also, I assume I don’t need any mods to my exhausts, intake, etc if I want to only make a stage 1 mod. Thanks
stage 1 doesn't require any mods, but I personally believe that charge pipe is semi-mandatory regardless of stage. Plastic gets brittle with age so it can break pretty easily on older cars.

Revert the tune to stock and relock the DME, but I believe the dealer/shop can still detect if the engine was flashed. I read somewhere there's a flash counter built into the DME. So if you're going in for warranty on the engine, good luck lol
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:14 AM   #22
benpatti
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Thanks, decided that it’s not worth it if i am not modding and going to stage 2 in the future.
Appreciate 0