2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications S6-45bz 6mt in the 535i sucks!

11-25-2019, 01:16 AM   #1
Shinel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335xi

S6-45bz 6mt in the 535i sucks!

I'm so disappointed not only in BMW for choosing this transmission and not repairing it for free, but also in ZF for designing complete shit. There are numerous individuals who have broken synchros that prevent the 6 speed manual to shift into gear. My reverse synchro went, and the only solutions are to a) get a refurb one from bmw for $$$ or a used one (almost impossible to find.) So here's another solution: get the cheaper, readily available, bulletproof s6-53bz, a driveshaft from a 550i f10, and enjoy a manual that will last you forever, figuratively speaking. Fuck BMW BTW.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinel View Post
I'm so disappointed not only in BMW for choosing this transmission and not repairing it for free, but also in ZF for designing complete shit. There are numerous individuals who have broken synchros that prevent the 6 speed manual to shift into gear. My reverse synchro went, and the only solutions are to a) get a refurb one from bmw for $$$ or a used one (almost impossible to find.) So here's another solution: get the cheaper, readily available, bulletproof s6-53bz, a driveshaft from a 550i f10, and enjoy a manual that will last you forever, figuratively speaking. Fuck BMW BTW.
Lol

what year and mileage do you have?

Also, yes the trans from a 550 has longer legs in regards to final drivetrain ratio. It's my next mod.

The auto ZF is better than mercs slowest shifting trans in the biz. I know I have one. Audi is meh I drove my buddies 2019 A6, it's whateves. ZF is one of the best around and that's not even mentioning the dual clutch or flashing it.

All used cars no matter the brand are going to have issues you need to be prepared for.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
Shinel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Lol

what year and mileage do you have?

Also, yes the trans from a 550 has longer legs in regards to final drivetrain ratio. It's my next mod.

The auto ZF is better than mercs slowest shifting trans in the biz. I know I have one. Audi is meh I drove my buddies 2019 A6, it's whateves. ZF is one of the best around and that's not even mentioning the dual clutch or flashing it.

All used cars no matter the brand are going to have issues you need to be prepared for.
True but the 45bz has a shitty synchro design that's at fault. And they don't service them which to me is bizzare. I'm cracking mine open though and putting it together with donor parts from another blown 6 speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
MuonShowers
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i M Sport

Shinel

How many miles does your XDRIVE transmission have that the syncos are going out? Are those mostly city? I hope this isn't the case for the RWD 6 speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
Shinel
Private
Rep

90k non City. Not an xdrive but rwd.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
Blue42
Rep
Drives: '07 Impala

Resurrecting this old post.

Shinel, did you ever rebuild your S6-45?

I was set to buy a F10 535i manual, until I saw how many were broken. Of the 3 for sale nationwide when I was looking, one had had the trans replaced, and one I test drove had a bad 2nd gear synchro. So, 2 out of 3. That, combined with reading the forums and seeing just how many bad ones there were, without any fix or even rebuild available, convinced me that they're junk. It's not just a one-off like so many people want to claim when they own the equipment, so they can feel reassured.
I crossed off the car, but if there's a known way to put the S6-53 in there, I'm very interested.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue42 View Post
Resurrecting this old post.

Shinel, did you ever rebuild your S6-45?

I was set to buy a F10 535i manual, until I saw how many were broken. Of the 3 for sale nationwide when I was looking, one had had the trans replaced, and one I test drove had a bad 2nd gear synchro. So, 2 out of 3. That, combined with reading the forums and seeing just how many bad ones there were, without any fix or even rebuild available, convinced me that they're junk. It's not just a one-off like so many people want to claim when they own the equipment, so they can feel reassured.
I crossed off the car, but if there's a known way to put the S6-53 in there, I'm very interested.
From a data standpoint it's probably not a good idea to look at cars being sold and say that means that's how all cars are... people are more likely to sell problem cars than cars without issue. I have a 6MT and have had zero issues with it so far while even modding.

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:00 AM   #8
JohnelP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 5

I liked the transmission on the 535i. i think it was shifting a bit nicer than the gs6-53bz on my 550i. what is sad is those are designed not be serviced. And even if you are willing to try, nobody will sell you spare bearings, unless you are a transmission shop.

i was reading the manual, and they say 45dz is the first "try" with dry sump system, hence less oil in the box and isolated more the 2 compartments. I think some transmissions have some trouble with with oil pipes from the pump, leaving the half rear compartment with less oil, a.ka 1st and 2nd gear trouble, plus rear bearing earlier fail. think it is a hit or miss.

Last edited by JohnelP; 10-07-2020 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0