2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Updating Modules Using E-sys: ACSM Fault

09-12-2023, 05:17 PM   #1
Anwar1995
Private
Oman
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i

Updating Modules Using E-sys: ACSM Fault

Hello Everyone,

Today I have embarked on an attempt to updated my F10 modules using E-sys. I tried to gather as much information as possible and took all the precautions that I knew; used another car with jumper cables to have a constant 14v, Laptop had a full charge, put the seatbelt on just to prevent the car from sleeping etc... was mainly following the tutorial made by zkiifreak here:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/f...-guide.811347/

I booted up e-sys and using the the method mention on the tutorial, I selected all the modules to be updated. Checked all software was available and ready, I started then the process. It finished with some errors, I have the log attached but the main error was as follows:

SVK-Ist does not match expected SGBMIDs for ecu ECUId:KOMBI_0x60.

This error repeated for 5 modules out of the 31. HU-NBT, TCB, DME, KOMBI and ASCM. all other modules updated successfully. The weird thing is after this process, IDrive popped up an error for the restraining system and the airbag light was on (constant on). I looked up on the forum about the issue and there was one thread with the same issue and a solution to use HW-IDs from SVTactual. This was the thread:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/f...gbmids.809040/

I used that method to calculate an SVT and use that in a TAL file to execute only on the ACMS module (I only want to fix the issue/fault at this point). The updating process in TAL processing this time was successful. However, I had a flashing airbag light on the cluster now. I did another search and found that it seems like I needed to initialze (lock) the airbag system. I have done that on ISTA from the service functions but again I got the same IDrive error that I have started with: restraining system faulty and constant airbag light on the cluster.

I have attached the fault codes log and it seems like a coding issue. Please correct me if I am wrong but the error that I got initially from E-sys after updating means that those 5 modules have been replaced at some point and are not the original modules that were on the car when it left the factory? (They have a different Ship I-Level than the rest of the car)

The current status of the ACSM module on E-sys is shown on the attached picture.

1- Any idea on how to fix this fault?
2- Any idea on how to update the remaining 4 modules correctly?

Any support is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf faults.pdf (166.5 KB, 66 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt LOG.txt (181.2 KB, 15 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 12:42 AM   #2
Scorpion55
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2012 535

Garage List
2012 bmw 535i f10  [0.00]
2012 bmw 535i  [0.00]
Do you run ista on virtual machine?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 02:36 PM   #3
Anwar1995
Private
Oman
Rep

Scorpion55 I dont actually I have it installed directly on my laptop.

I found out something that might solve it. I was using E-sys looking at anything that is suspicious and found something. The type saved on my VO (FA) was 5B11 meanwhile realOEM.com shows that my VO type should be 5B13. I googled the difference between the two and it seems like the last numbers refer to the region. 1 being Europe and 3 being US. My F10 is made in Germany but made for the US market so I edited my FA in E-sys and changed my type FA type to be 5B13 and used that modified FA to calculate a TAL. when I used that TAL file all of my HWEL values in all of the 5 modules that were not being able to be updated before (being red/blue; having actual and target values) turned black. Moreover, I looked at the ACSM module coding and software files and they have an update eventhough I was using the same I-step level that I used earlier to update it. So now to me E-sys looks happy and ready to update and code those modules without the previous error but that is yet to be seen.

I am currently using the car on a holday so I wont be doing that now. I will wait till I go home and connect a charger to the car and update it since the DME also needs updating.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
Scorpion55
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2012 535

Garage List
2012 bmw 535i f10  [0.00]
2012 bmw 535i  [0.00]
Sounds intense . How do I get e says and ista.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:26 PM   #5
Anwar1995
Private
Oman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion55 View Post
Sounds intense . How do I get e says and ista.
I am pretty sure you can find many links on the forum but anyway I have downloaded my programs from this video. All the credit goes to the uploader.

https://youtu.be/fGpAXDaS9TI?si=UwtCscC0Dcfl1YE7
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:31 PM   #6
Anwar1995
Private
Oman
Rep

Update:

So my plan was succesful. I modified the car's Key Type to the correct US one and when I tried coding and programing the ACSM, the process went smoothly and was successful. All of those fault codes of "coding not matching equipment" went away. However I did two things at one which created another issue. Before I try to code the ACSM, I replaced my steering wheel because the old one had no paddles and the leather at the top was too worn. I installed a used standard (non-m) steering but with paddles and in much better condition. Turns out after installation that the steering wheel is from a Euro spec car (or so I think) and has 1 stage airbag. As you know, US cars require 2 stage airbags so ACSM threw a code of "Driver airbag: resistance too high" or something along those lines. I FDL coded the paddles to work and the ACSM module to accept the 1 stage airbag but it threw a couple of new codes which I am yet to solve:

C95431: SMBF interface (seat memory/ backrest locking mechanism, 0x34D): Signal invalid

C95430: SMFA interface (seat memory/ backrest locking mechanism, 0x34B): Signal invalid

Again the IDrive is still showing the error messages of "Driver/passenger restraining system malfunction".

I really don't want to use the old airbag because its airbag cover is warped upward slightly from the top because of the heat and the one currently on the steering wheel is in better condition overall.

Any insight about those codes would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #7
Anwar1995
Private
Oman
Rep

I figured it out. The issue was because of my first attempt at updating the modules via E-sys. At that time the Key Type of the car in VO (FA) was incorrect. And I updated a lot of the modules using that key type including the seat modules. Now after correcting the key type all I had to do is to code the seat modules again to fix it; since the error description was saying that the signal was invalid from the seat modules I thought might give it a try and that fixed it and all was good!
Appreciate 0