2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N63 valve seal leaks

08-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
bhodoan
Rep
Drives: -

N63 valve seal leaks

So, I took my 2011 550 to the shop because of the valve seal leaks. I'm still under warranty, so that was a huge relief, however they suggest that I just get a new motor. Thats awesome and all, and they told me it should take roughly a month. I get a call the other day and they say that the engine is on backorder until December . I had a 2019 430 loaner which was fine, but they asked me if I could return it because they could not have a loaner out that long. They gave me an enterprise rental (Hyundai Elantra), and that car is garbage! Is there anything you guys would do if you were in this situation, or do I just have to wait the 4ish months?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:17 AM   #2
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

I’d wait out 4ish months. A new motor under warranty is worth the wait. If the rental is free, I’d be ok with it. My dealer doesn’t even offer BMW loaners and only enterprise cars.

Regarding the back order, this has been discussed on the N63 Facebook group. Many people who have purchased an engine don’t know when they’ll be receiving it. It’s because of how cheap the motor currently is, many people bought them as preventative measure

Last edited by BlackWidow; 08-06-2018 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-06-2018, 12:54 AM   #3
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

wow!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
Epic404
Epic404
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I Convertible

Driving that for 4 months would suck and to me it could be a close call. Let me ask you- how many miles are on your N63, how long is the warranty good until, aftermarket warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #5
bhodoan
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic404 View Post
Driving that for 4 months would suck and to me it could be a close call. Let me ask you- how many miles are on your N63, how long is the warranty good until, aftermarket warranty?
60k miles on the N63, warranty is actually from Carmax(they’re paying for it). Good until 100k miles, so another 40k
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

If you decline replacement and your engine seizes in the future, they’re technically not liable to replace the engine under warranty due to a predetermined condition. I wouldn’t risk it just for driving a lower class car for 4 months when you could have an engine with 0 miles that comes with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty from BMW for a little sacrifice.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
Epic404
Epic404
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhodoan View Post
60k miles on the N63, warranty is actually from Carmax(they’re paying for it). Good until 100k miles, so another 40k
My verdict is...not worth driving the crappy rental for four months- just get valve stems replaced.

Reasoning:

If you're smart you're going to sell the car at 99,500 miles before the warranty expiration in three to four years. The resale already blows on these cars and will be much worse by then.

If you got a fresh engine now when you were ready to sell you'd market the car as having "only 40k miles on the engine!" Big deal- by then that will add maybe $1k-$2k tops to your resale value.

If someone came to you now and said "Drive my Hyundai for the next four months in exchange for letting me park your 550i in my garage and I'll also give you $1k to $2k in three to four years" would you do it?
Pfffffff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
If you decline replacement and your engine seizes in the future, they’re technically not liable to replace the engine under warranty due to a predetermined condition. I wouldn’t risk it just for driving a lower class car for 4 months when you could have an engine with 0 miles that comes with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty from BMW for a little sacrifice.
I wouldn't be so sure that's the case since there is a specific problem. OP should check with warranty company.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #8
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My verdict is...not worth driving the crappy rental for four months- just get valve stems replaced.

Reasoning:

If you're smart you're going to sell the car at 99,500 miles before the warranty expiration in three to four years. The resale already blows on these cars and will be much worse by then.

If you got a fresh engine now when you were ready to sell you'd market the car as having "only 40k miles on the engine!" Big deal- by then that will add maybe $1k-$2k tops to your resale value.

If someone came to you now and said "Drive my Hyundai for the next four months in exchange for letting me park your 550i in my garage and I'll also give you $1k to $2k in three to four years" would you do it?
Pfffffff

I wouldn't be so sure that's the case since there is a specific problem. OP should check with warranty company.
If someone came to me and told me, drive this rental Hyundai Elantra for 4 months, which is probably 2016-2018 because rental companies don’t keep older cars, and we’ll give you a new engine and replace your 60k mileage motor. Which adds another 100k+ miles to the life of a car that the OP purchased less than a year ago with 50-60k miles on it, AND an unlimited mile 2 year warranty on the engine. I’d take it in a heartbeat. That’s a win no matter how you look at it. A car is not an investment so resale value doesn’t mean anything (restorations and classics excluded).

Even if OP elects just to replace valve seals, doesn’t mean the car will make it to 99k, this motor still has faulty timing chains and guides that WILL stretch over time. Which will require replacing the engine anyway. People have also been having rod, bearings, piston issues over on the N63 Facebook group. Get the newer motor with upgraded parts and be worry free.

Personally, I don’t BUY cars just to think about selling it down the line. If that were the case I would lease and be done with it. Also, I would have no problems driving an Elantra. I’ve come from harder times in high school, very short time in college, and being in the Marine Corps for years, driving a lesser car wouldn’t bother me none, better than having no car. It’s just a temporary car, it’s not the end of the world. I understand everyone isn’t the same and have different needs than wants.

Yes he should contact his warranty company but leaking valve seals could definitely correlate to engine seizure. Especially with how bad they can get. It loses the ability to control lubrication to the guide. Wouldn’t be difficult to deny a claim and have the company get out of having to pay a hefty repair cost in the future especially since how cheap these motors are right now, it’s almost a no brainer.

Last edited by BlackWidow; 08-09-2018 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-09-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
Epic404
Epic404
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
If someone came to me and told me, drive this rental Hyundai Elantra for 4 months, which is probably 2016-2018 because rental companies don’t keep older cars, and we’ll give you a new engine and replace your 60k mileage motor. Which adds another 100k+ miles to the life of a car that the OP purchased less than a year ago with 50-60k miles on it, AND an unlimited mile 2 year warranty on the engine. I’d take it in a heartbeat. That’s a win no matter how you look at it. A car is not an investment so resale value doesn’t mean anything (restorations and classics excluded).

Even if OP elects just to replace valve seals, doesn’t mean the car will make it to 99k, this motor still has faulty timing chains and guides that WILL stretch over time. Which will require replacing the engine anyway. People have also been having rod, bearings, piston issues over on the N63 Facebook group. Get the newer motor with upgraded parts and be worry free.

Personally, I don’t BUY cars just to think about selling it down the line. If that were the case I would lease and be done with it. Also, I would have no problems driving an Elantra. I’ve come from harder times in high school, very short time in college, and being in the Marine Corps for years, driving a lesser car wouldn’t bother me none, better than having no car. It’s just a temporary car, it’s not the end of the world. I understand everyone isn’t the same and have different needs than wants.

Yes he should contact his warranty company but leaking valve seals could definitely correlate to engine seizure. Especially with how bad they can get. It loses the ability to control lubrication to the guide. Wouldn’t be difficult to deny a claim and have the company get out of having to pay a hefty repair cost in the future especially since how cheap these motors are right now, it’s almost a no brainer.
Firstly- thank you for your service. The OP deciding to keep the car past warranty coverage would change the factors in the valuation...but with the problems these have why would a person keep one of these past warranty, new engine or not?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #10
BlackWidow
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Firstly- thank you for your service. The OP deciding to keep the car past warranty coverage would change the factors in the valuation...but with the problems these have why would a person keep one of these past warranty, new engine or not?
Thank you for the support and I agree completely.

For me, I bought my ‘11 550i right before the CCP came out with 40k miles and CPO. Once CCP was announced the market value dropped immensely. So selling would’ve cost me ten thousand right of the bat. Since I had CPO I decided to keep it, despite all the negativity surrounding the engine. I didn’t have any engine issues after CCP was properly performed (took a few tries). Well, my engine went right around 102k, out of nowhere, car just started knocking around 1800+ rpm. BMW replaced it out of good faith, even with me being out of warranty, all I had to pay was dealer labor costs. So if I can get another 100k out of it, I will be even more happy or when the warranty is up I’ll sell it for whatever I can get for it. But for now I enjoy the hell out of the car and push it hard within its means and the law.

Last edited by BlackWidow; 08-10-2018 at 12:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #11
BurrNinja
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Bluestone Metallic

Garage List
In my opinion, id take the new motor anyday. I mean cmon the hyundai isnt yours its a free rental. Plus in the long run you will have a 0 mile n63 engine.
      08-30-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Take the new motor. Suck it up and drive the Hyundai.

I need new valve stems too and unfortunately I don't have warranty.
Appreciate 0