2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes TPMS Malfunction

06-14-2021, 01:16 AM   #1
sleepyturtle
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

TPMS Malfunction

Hello all, first post here.

I have a 2014 F10, I got my tires changed before Covid happened at Costco, and ever since then Ive had TPMS Malfunction show up.

At the time the folks at Costco mentioned they didn't have the tools to reprogram one of my sensors, and at the time I didn't push them to fix it (regretting that now). Anyways, fast forward 1.5years - 2 years, Ive checked with few local tire shops, PepBoys and DiscountTire and they both that one of my sensors was coded incorrectly (something to do with that one sensor being programmed to the earlier model of the year, apparently theres 2 models in a year??)..

Anyways, the guys at DiscountTire, said that if I want the existing sensor to work, it would require a hard reset to the sensor and have the car relearn / re program it and thats something the dealer would have to do.

They also mentioned that they could replace the sensor, but weren't sure if that would fix the problem for some reason (perhaps being conservative and safe so I wouldn't waste the money to replace ~ 40-60$ if i recall correctly)

Has anyone been in such a situation? Do you guys recommended going to the dealership for this or try just getting the sensor replaced at DiscountTire and rolling the dice? Also any ideas how much a dealership would cost to do such a fix?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

If you keep the original set of TPMS sensors, you should not have any issue and no programing required. Maybe Costco threw in a new sensor since they damaged one of your original? If the new sensor is not compatible to the other three (different frequency?), you need to get a compatible one and reprogram it. Or you replace all four with the same type and reprogram them.

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #3
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

I think TZ is right about Costco damaging it and just replacing it with a different frequency one… few years back when I bought new wheels I just bought a set and had the tire shop just install it when they were installing my tires… all I had to do is reset tpms on the I drive and just drive. it picked it up… I didn't have to program it at all
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:04 PM   #4
Dan944
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535xi

Garage List
2012 BMW 535xi  [0.00]
I recently changed all my sensors and did not have to program. I bought the OEM ones from
Tire rack. All I had to do was reset from idrive and that's it.
Appreciate 0