2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bavsound Revenant vs. Powered sub in the trunk

06-24-2021, 11:13 PM   #111
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL7 View Post
Any update RJV3? I had been thinking about ordering this amp as well but wanted to see some reviews first. Unfortunately, Bavsound’s website now says the amp is sold out until later this year.
Literally the Amp landed today. About damn time too lol.

Already removed everything from out of the trunk and just let my tools and all the hardware for the install. Looking at Bavsound website, they have an installation video but using an m3 for the demo vehicle. After watching the plug and play aspect of this kit has me more than reassured I can do the installation myself.

Since I will be throwing in the Rockford Powered subwoofer, I'm curious just how much sound deadener I will need to use for the trunk. I doubt I will use some to line the trunk lid. Don't want the trunk lid to get too heavy and stress the power tailgate motor any.

Will keep you posted as I go along.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #112
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJV3 View Post
Literally the Amp landed today. About damn time too lol.

Already removed everything from out of the trunk and just let my tools and all the hardware for the install. Looking at Bavsound website, they have an installation video but using an m3 for the demo vehicle. After watching the plug and play aspect of this kit has me more than reassured I can do the installation myself.

Since I will be throwing in the Rockford Powered subwoofer, I'm curious just how much sound deadener I will need to use for the trunk. I doubt I will use some to line the trunk lid. Don't want the trunk lid to get too heavy and stress the power tailgate motor any.

Will keep you posted as I go along.
For an F10 install, there are a couple pics from me on pages 1-2 of this thread, and some more info on this thread including a couple F10-specific videos I shared:

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726050
      06-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #113
DL7
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Fyi, bavsound has a f10 amp install video for the older amp. I would assume you would follow the same process for the new amp, but let us know if anything is different.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 11:02 PM   #114
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL7 View Post
Fyi, bavsound has a f10 amp install video for the older amp. I would assume you would follow the same process for the new amp, but let us know if anything is different.

Ok so I got the amp installed over the weekend.
some initial observations.

Overall install was very straight forward. although the video reference on the Bavsound website was of a M3, the mechanics still applied.

What I noticed off top was that once you have the amp and bracket installed in the proper location, the outlets are all top loaded, as opposed to the fty amp and a Match7up amp which have the connectors side loaded. This was bound to yield some clearance issues, but went ahead with the install anyway.

Wiring up the amp and all the connectors took about an hour or so. The good thing is that I have an led strip on the top of my trunk for interior lighting, so I had all the light I needed for the job.

The Bavsound amp has a tune chip with 4 profiles pre loaded. 2 for those with the Bavsound speakers and 2 for factory speakers.
I chose the multi seat profile instead of the driver centric profile. I felt like the driver centric profile had most of the music playing from the center channel in the dash and less from the door speakers. I like to have my music completely surround me.

The space is very tight when putting the carpeting back on. I actually swapped the toslink optical cable for a rocket fish cable because the carpeting kept knocking out the Bavsound supplied optical cable. The rocket fish one had a shorter "barrell" so to speak. I wasn't worried about the power cables too much, but I am growing uncomfortable that there is a bulge in the pocket when the carpeting is installed back. Its not too pronounced, but I prefer the wires to be away from the carpet. I may just drop the bracket and amp and zip tie it secure or use velcro or something. Any suggestions? You will also have to cut the wire sleeve for the ground and power cable to give more slack to when you attach your ground and power cable. You wont be able to put the hidden pocket carpeting back if you don't.

Borrowing from itsturbointegra's build, the box of choice was the Rockford Punch 12". I ended up taking my car to a local audio shop since I know the owner and he was interested in carrying Bavsound products. I showed him the amp and he was very interested. Actually he put an installer on the job to wire up my sub for free just to see how everything sounded.

The end result.....Sound deadener is a must!

I was only able to put about 3 sheets down on the left side of the trunk. You definitely want to add some on the right side because you can hear the gas cover rattling. From the inside the music sounds great, but that rattling make the car sound tacky....almost Honda Civic in Washington Heights like (if you are in the NY metro area you know what I mean.) I'm going to add some sheets onto the right side of the trunk this weekend and see how much that helps.

Before I installed the amp and was running the fty Harmon Kardon Logic 7 factory amp, I felt as if the sound was louder, but not as clear now with the Bavsound amp installed. I do have to turn up the volume higher in order to get to the level I want, but the sound does sound cleaner. The Rockford subwoofer gave the right amount of bass I was looking for without overpowering the mids and highs.

Overall, I can recommend the amp for someone that is looking for a clean plug and play solution. But I have definitely heard some custom audio systems that are stronger , louder, more powerful. It all depends on what you're going for. I'll post more pictures once I sound proof the right side of the trunk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #115
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Glad you're happy with the build!

Not the prettiest solution but I lined the inside perimeter of my gas lid with some weather stripping and that stopped the rattle there. I also put 4 rubber washers between the back of my license plate and the trunk and that stopped the license plate rattle. Those two things helped more than the sound deadening.

Unrelated - last week I tried out apple music's spatial audio in the car compared to Spotify very high quality streaming...some songs are just slightly better some felt surprisingly better. Eg, Tiesto's BOOM always sounded good but Spatial takes it to the next level. Kind of shocking.
Attached Images

06-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #116
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post

Not the prettiest solution but I lined the inside perimeter of my gas lid with some weather stripping and that stopped the rattle there. I also put 4 rubber washers between the back of my license plate and the trunk and that stopped the license plate rattle. Those two things helped more than the sound deadening.

Unrelated - last week I tried out apple music's spatial audio in the car compared to Spotify very high quality streaming...some songs are just slightly better some felt surprisingly better. Eg, Tiesto's BOOM always sounded good but Spatial takes it to the next level. Kind of shocking.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was literally going to put some sound proofing behind the gas cap, but wanted to do the right side of the trunk first. I'm also going to revisit the placement of the Amp this weekend. I'm thinking of ditching the bracket and use velcro strap and stick the Amp to the lower end of the mount to give more clearance. I ordered a right and rca adapter and right angle tos link cable with swivel head to help with the clearance. Keep you posed on how that goes.

Interesting observation on the spatial stream. Might have to check it out. I feel as if I lost some volume for clarity with the Amp. Still getting used to it I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:04 PM   #117
DL7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I was literally going to put some sound proofing behind the gas cap, but wanted to do the right side of the trunk first. I'm also going to revisit the placement of the Amp this weekend. I'm thinking of ditching the bracket and use velcro strap and stick the Amp to the lower end of the mount to give more clearance. I ordered a right and rca adapter and right angle tos link cable with swivel head to help with the clearance. Keep you posed on how that goes.

Interesting observation on the spatial stream. Might have to check it out. I feel as if I lost some volume for clarity with the Amp. Still getting used to it I guess.

Thanks for the comments. Sounds like there may need to be some further modifications with cables and/or bracket to truly make this plug and play. Have you played with the EQ settings to try to address the volume or is the low volume issue occurring with a particular audio source? I’ve noticed that my iPhone volume impacts my car volume when running off Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 11:35 PM   #118
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Actually I stream my music off of Spotify. Interesting you are have low volume issues on your iPhone. I have an android device so this may be an issue with the Bluetooth or something. I'm far from an audiophile so maybe some of the more qualified in the forums can chime in on possible causes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 06:44 AM   #119
DL7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Actually I stream my music off of Spotify. Interesting you are have low volume issues on your iPhone. I have an android device so this may be an issue with the Bluetooth or something. I'm far from an audiophile so maybe some of the more qualified in the forums can chime in on possible causes.
What I have noticed on my iPhone is that I have to have the phone volume turned all the way up when playing music in car off Bluetooth, otherwise my car volume is a lot lower. The car radio volume comes in a louder than Bluetooth as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:18 PM   #120
Donkeee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 E46 325ci Sport

I decided to just resolve this on my own. I removed the mounts, and trimmed them so that they fit back in sideways. This allowed the amp to lay flat. I think used the strong velcro to attach the stock module and the MOST box to the amp. I used the factory holes to mount the modified bracket. I was able to use one existing hole on the bracket itself and only had to add one. Just used a couple of bolts to attach it. Everything fits perfect and allows the factory plastic support to be added back in. Everything fits perfect now. Glad to have this resolved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-08-2021, 07:39 AM   #121
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

dude that looks so much better. BAV needs to edit their "plug and play" feature to minor adjustments need to be made but there's not a lot of guys out there who are gonna just cut things to make things work
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:31 PM   #122
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It seems as if the gain on the Rev Pro is a little low for your setup. On a tunable amp you can set the gain per channel through the laptop software, but maybe the Rev Pro is like the Match where there is also a physical gain knob located on the amp itself? That'd be a way to get your overall volume higher.

On the Spatial Audio topic:

I noticed tonight it's not just the Apple Spatial audio that sounds a lot better than Spotify's Very High audio setting - I was listening to Foo Fighters's "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners" on both, it's "only" on Apple's Hi Res Lossless and not Spatial and it still sounds a ton better than Spotify.

Now I wonder if Hi Res Lossless is very different than just Lossless haha...I guess it's a testament to the Match amp and speakers that I'm now noticing these things in a big way, but then again the amp alone would probably make it pretty noticeable on stock speakers. Anyways.

I had assumed there'd be no noticeable difference between Very High and Lossless but I'd say it's dramatic, at least with Hi Res Lossless. Enough that it's a bit of a drag listening to it back on Spotify.
      07-15-2021, 08:59 PM   #123
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It seems as if the gain on the Rev Pro is a little low for your setup. On a tunable amp you can set the gain per channel through the laptop software, but maybe the Rev Pro is like the Match where there is also a physical gain knob located on the amp itself? That'd be a way to get your overall volume higher.

On the Spatial Audio topic:

I noticed tonight it's not just the Apple Spatial audio that sounds a lot better than Spotify's Very High audio setting - I was listening to Foo Fighters's "Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners" on both, it's "only" on Apple's Hi Res Lossless and not Spatial and it still sounds a ton better than Spotify.

Now I wonder if Hi Res Lossless is very different than just Lossless haha...I guess it's a testament to the Match amp and speakers that I'm now noticing these things in a big way, but then again the amp alone would probably make it pretty noticeable on stock speakers. Anyways.

I had assumed there'd be no noticeable difference between Very High and Lossless but I'd say it's dramatic, at least with Hi Res Lossless. Enough that it's a bit of a drag listening to it back on Spotify.
I don't see any physical gain button that would help to up the volume output on this thing. Wondering if anyone else that upgraded their HK system to bavsound full suite setup can chime in if they have a similar experience.
Appreciate 0