2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Could I please get an eye on some logs? Probably boost leak...

07-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #1
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Could I please get an eye on some logs? Probably boost leak...

My car focus was on audio stuff most of this year and, mechanically, I had been on a basis of "No Dmal, no problem"

But it's time to snoop around again...I think I need to take it in for a smoke test but would love any other comments for things I should check out.

Boost
  • ever since tuning the PS2 I've usually been off boost target by 3-4 psi with mid 90s WGDC occasionally tapping 100, but tuner felt it was just bc PWG and that I'm actually doing pretty well for Denver's 5,000' altitude.

STFT
  • I hadn't paid attention to STFT before, but now I'm realizing it's hitting -10% or so up top, which, as I understand it, could fit with the above as all pointing towards a boost leak.

Corrections
  • Corrections are mostly within 3* with some occasional 6* or more...doesn't have me too concerned but am going to check plugs, maybe regap, maybe put in new plugs.

I'm tuned for Denver's 91 but recently found a station with 93 so have that in the tank.

Mods are in sig but in case you can't see it:
  • 2013 535xi M Sport (PWG) // PS2 // Spool fx150 // MHD // xHP // FTP Inlet // FBO: AR HF DP, Wagner IC, BMS Intake, VRSF CP

3 logs in this link

3 older logs in this link
      07-14-2021, 04:56 PM   #2
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I didn't know you were in Denver. Next time I am out their I need to check out your car!

Who is your tuner?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowBMW View Post
I didn't know you were in Denver. Next time I am out their I need to check out your car!
Looking forward to it! Good motivation for me to sort out my boost leak haha
      07-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Quote:
Who is your tuner?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #5
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Who is your tuner?
Steven/Wedge
      07-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #6
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Is the place with 93 a popular/busy gas station? I've seen reports of bad 93 in stations that don't "cycle" through their 93 often enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #7
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Is the place with 93 a popular/busy gas station? I've seen reports of bad 93 in stations that don't "cycle" through their 93 often enough.
Interesting thought, but the station always seems busy enough.

Other thing is that the corrections with 93 are similar to the 91 logs awhile back (except for maybe one clean log), so IATs are probably the bigger difference than 91 vs 93.
      07-15-2021, 10:48 AM   #8
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
My car focus was on audio stuff most of this year and, mechanically, I had been on a basis of "No Dmal, no problem"

But it's time to snoop around again...I think I need to take it in for a smoke test but would love any other comments for things I should check out.

Boost
  • ever since tuning the PS2 I've usually been off boost target by 3-4 psi with mid 90s WGDC occasionally tapping 100, but tuner felt it was just bc PWG and that I'm actually doing pretty well for Denver's 5,000' altitude.

STFT
  • I hadn't paid attention to STFT before, but now I'm realizing it's hitting -10% or so up top, which, as I understand it, could fit with the above as all pointing towards a boost leak.

Corrections
  • Corrections are mostly within 3* with some occasional 6* or more...doesn't have me too concerned but am going to check plugs, maybe regap, maybe put in new plugs.

I'm tuned for Denver's 91 but recently found a station with 93 so have that in the tank.

• 2013 535xi M Sport (PWG) // PS2 // Spool fx150 // MHD // xHP // FTP Inlet // FBO: AR HF DP, Wagner IC, BMS Intake, VRSF CP

3 logs in this link

Finally got around to taking a look. I think you are in the right path.

Boost- It's behaving as a boost leak. A smoke test is in order. Another issue I can think of here, is how it your WG actuator adjusted? Did you threadlock the locking nuts on the flap arm once adjusted? if it backed out and it's not within spec, it too would explain why you're not achieving target boost despite being almost 100% WGDC.

STFT- You're correct that the above issue could be causing this. I say this because your HPFP actual Vs req is on point nice and steady. Your AFR is steady.

CORRECTIONS- Good call on checking those plugs. Coils don't seem to be an issue here. Their ignition timing lines are quite jagged when failing

Overall, proceed as you are planning and please report back with a new log! curious to see the improvements
      07-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #9
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the confirmation on STFT, and noting the steady AFR.

Agree on coils, the Eldors only have ~3k on them. The NGK 97506s have ~6k on them, but I gapped them like a knucklehead tapping on a workbench etc at the time, got a gapping tool now, so odds are they're not perfect and maybe even spaced out a bit again since, hopefully it'll make a difference.

Good question on the WG actuator adjustment...I didn't install the PS2 so will ask the shop when I get the smoke test.

Really appreciate the look!! Very helpful, will come back with updates.
      07-18-2021, 10:47 AM   #10
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
Quote:

Boost

STFT

Corrections

3 logs in this link

Finally got around to taking a look. I think you are in the right path.

Boost- It's behaving as a boost leak. A smoke test is in order. Another issue I can think of here, is how it your WG actuator adjusted? Did you threadlock the locking nuts on the flap arm once adjusted? if it backed out and it's not within spec, it too would explain why you're not achieving target boost despite being almost 100% WGDC.

STFT- You're correct that the above issue could be causing this. I say this because your HPFP actual Vs req is on point nice and steady. Your AFR is steady.

CORRECTIONS- Good call on checking those plugs. Coils don't seem to be an issue here. Their ignition timing lines are quite jagged when failing

Overall, proceed as you are planning and please report back with a new log! curious to see the improvements
Another thought - is it possible that I don't have a boost leak and the boost target is just set too high?

I'm wondering if a boost leak vs boost target too high would show the same symptoms - wgdc hitting 100, and STFT explained bc it was originally sending enough fuel to hit target then the target isn't possible so it starts trimming fuel?
      07-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #11
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Quote:
Another thought - is it possible that I don't have a boost leak and the boost target is just set too high?

I'm wondering if a boost leak vs boost target too high would show the same symptoms - wgdc hitting 100, and STFT explained bc it was originally sending enough fuel to hit target then the target isn't possible so it starts trimming fuel?
Certainly possible Mr. Blasta. However, I personally don't know enough about the PS2's boost-up characteristics to be able to make that call. Being a larger turbo it's expected that it will spool up slower than the stocker that Im more familiar with. But how much slower? is it reasonable to ask for X amount of boost at Y rpm having Z set of conditions (mods, fuel, gear, etc...)? That is a better question for more PS2-experienced folks.

Having said that, in more general non-your car specific terms- another thing that could cause a consistent delay/ inability to hit the target would be a restriction in the path of air somewhere (be it either intake or exhaust). Then I look at your sig and realized you're running a high flow cat. I wonder, how do the logs look on folk that have a PS2 and a HF cat compared to yours? Then going off of that, I wonder then if the issue is that the tune is meant for catless, and you running the HF cat is causing this restriction (therefore, taking it back to your original hypothesis of the boost target being set too high).

Thoughts? PS2 folk chime in please?
      07-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #12
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95blkmax View Post
Quote:

Certainly possible Mr. Blasta. However, I personally don't know enough about the PS2's boost-up characteristics to be able to make that call. Being a larger turbo it's expected that it will spool up slower than the stocker that Im more familiar with. But how much slower? is it reasonable to ask for X amount of boost at Y rpm having Z set of conditions (mods, fuel, gear, etc...)? That is a better question for more PS2-experienced folks.

Having said that, in more general non-your car specific terms- another thing that could cause a consistent delay/ inability to hit the target would be a restriction in the path of air somewhere (be it either intake or exhaust). Then I look at your sig and realized you're running a high flow cat. I wonder, how do the logs look on folk that have a PS2 and a HF cat compared to yours? Then going off of that, I wonder then if the issue is that the tune is meant for catless, and you running the HF cat is causing this restriction (therefore, taking it back to your original hypothesis of the boost target being set too high).

Thoughts? PS2 folk chime in please?
I'm thinking the hf cat isn't the issue bc the custom tune would (hopefully) account for that. Even during the tuning process I wasn't really hitting target and he was fine with that - pwg life, I guess - my hunch is that I won't find a major boost leak and the biggest variable here is the denver altitude and the 3-4psi(?) discount I take because of that, and the stft etc has to do with not hitting target. Why the tune was never set for a target that I'd actually consistently hit I never understood. But hopefully I find a massive black hole of a boost leak!
      07-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #13
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
What is STFT and what does it indicate/how do you read it?

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 12:36 PM   #14
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What is STFT and what does it indicate/how do you read it?
Stft is whether the dme is adding (positive) or reducing (negative) fuel on the fly. Double digit percentages are something to keep an eye out for.

This thread is super helpful for understanding logging parameters

How To -- A detailed guide to recording, reading, and understanding datalogs

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327
      07-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #15
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Heard back from Wedge, says it doesn't look like a boost leak just high temps and Denver altitude