2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Help Help Help Members....

12-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Harvey T. Gluck
Harvey T. Gluck
Rep
Drives: 2006 330 XI

Help Help Help Members....

Without being reduntant, my son was involved a week ago in an Head on Accident caused by a Drunk Driver-who in the accident report ADMITTED to Police that she had been drinking Wine and Apparantly fell asleep @ the Wheel. The cost so far to repair the X5 is $37,000.00
The four people in my sons car ALL suffered bruises etc etc--and my sons wife had Nose Surgery today with more to follow......The pregnant woman in the back has broken ribs, but the Baby is apparantly fine but not due till May....
MY PROBLEM is that my own 335XI arrived at the port in NJ today, BUT My family ONLY wants me to to Drive an X5 like my son was driving in the accident.....
Its obvious the Trucks size certainly helped in his Escape, but it was probably a combination of that , Luck and other circemstances that helped him survive....
My answer to my Family is that I would need to Drive all the time in a Sherman tank to escape an accident--and there are Multiple OTHER reasons why some escape and others don't....
To me the 3 Series has a Good rating Crash test wise, and to further complicate things the Dealer is bent out of shape because of the fact that this a $58,000++ 3 Series which will not be easy to move....
Thats it-----I could care less about the Dealer, (Cost is not an issue) but how do I satisfy my Family and make the right Decision.....Of course if I give in its the easiest but I have never been a fan of the X5 or Trucks of that size......YES I know Peace is important..
PLEASE SOME IDEAS OR HELP would be appreciated..Harvey T. Gluck
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I dont know how you can satisfy the unknown. Life is full of risks, there are examples of extremes all over the place, the 32 year old fit runner keels over from a heart attack while the 400 pound gluton lives to 70. The tiniest car survives wreck because of its size while the H2 gets crushed because of it.

All I can say is live life to its fullest, limit your bonehead moves and know that when its your time to leave earth, not much you can do about it.

ps. I am originally from Baldwin, NY and know Oceanside like the back of my hand. Spent all my teenage nights in the 80's cruising Oceanside and hanging out in Nathans parking lot. I had an Oceanside girlfriend. Drove a 1983 280zx turbo 5 speed with ttops, was black with tan leather, those were the days.
      12-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
CJ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Good points Delvek, the accident is obviously traumatic for everyone and I think its normal for the family to feel like this. Because emotions are still intense around this, it may be hard for a rational discussion to trump the anxiety. Id focus on celebrating that everyone is SAFE, and that LIFE MOVES ON including the choice you have made for a car you like and intend to purchase. Choosing the 3 series does not mean you intend to die in a car accident and its seems there are some distortions around your choice. Celebrate the positives and encourage the family to focus on this so people can heal emotionally as well as physically. Maybe Trauma Focused Cognitive Behaviorial Therapy for the family if needed?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Maybe a new wife?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

The relatively positive outcome was due to the fact that the X5 is a BMW and not because of its sheer size, so the 3 series would most likely have a similar outcome in similar circumstances I know, I know . . . but who knows, it might work.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
I dont know how you can satisfy the unknown. Life is full of risks, there are examples of extremes all over the place, the 32 year old fit runner keels over from a heart attack while the 400 pound gluton lives to 70. The tiniest car survives wreck because of its size while the H2 gets crushed because of it.

All I can say is live life to its fullest, limit your bonehead moves and know that when its your time to leave earth, not much you can do about it.

ps. I am originally from Baldwin, NY and know Oceanside like the back of my hand. Spent all my teenage nights in the 80's cruising Oceanside and hanging out in Nathans parking lot. I had an Oceanside girlfriend. Drove a 1983 280zx turbo 5 speed with ttops, was black with tan leather, those were the days.
+1, nothing is for sure in this world....
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
pyramid
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Serpent S966

Garage List
Various Various  [0.00]
First of all, this is an F10 forums
Now let's be real and logical. Assuming BMW has set such crash standard along all their car lines up. The bigger the car, will not only makes you feel safer inside the car, but also logically safer on impact due to you have more room to escape. If all the passengers were driving 3 series in that accident story, I'm sure the outcome would have been different.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Your're not going to die just because you're driving a 335xi instead of a X5.. if you were to follow that logic you would soon be living a ridiculous life.
You can take small practical steps to reduce the chances of randomly getting killed, the question is; is dumping your 335 for something bigger reasonable or is it ridiculous.
When you/your family calms down, perhaps you will have a better idea.
Appreciate 0