2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Water pump working when car is off

01-05-2023, 04:49 AM   #1
lukavergille
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i F10

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [9.50]
Water pump working when car is off

Hi, i was on a long trip (1,800 miles in 3 days) a month ago and since then i noticed that a water pump is going on and off when the car is shut down. In the morning when i just unlock the car and open the door something in the engine bay starts working and i assume it is a water pump - the noice comes from the bottom of the water radiator and it feels like a water is running inside and also one morning when i was checking the coolant level when i opened the coolant cap the water started coming from the side into the reservoir, so it should be a water pump working i think.
I know that these cars let the cooling system run for a few minutes after driving but my problem happens when the engine is cold and car had been sitting a whole night.
Just opening or locking the car triggers the water pump and when i unlock or lock the car with a key fob it stops for a few seconds and then water pump starts working again.
I checked for the error codes with bimmerlink but nothing is there related to water pump.
If anyone had experienced the same issue could you let me know what causes this?
I will attach the video which shows the noice it makes: https://youtube.com/shorts/p0MQHvocdOQ?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 07:14 AM   #2
HotSpicyChicken90
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Did you deplace the water pump?
You can start the pump by pressing the accelerator when the car is shut down, in order to release the air in the cooling system...

Does your car have “auxiliary heating” ? It sounds more like that....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 02:52 AM   #3
lukavergille
Private First Class
Georgia
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i F10

Garage List
2013 BMW 535i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSpicyChicken90 View Post
Did you deplace the water pump?
You can start the pump by pressing the accelerator when the car is shut down, in order to release the air in the cooling system...

Does your car have “auxiliary heating” ? It sounds more like that....
I just did the cooling system bleeding but it didn’t help. It does have the auxiliary heating and does it mean that something is wrong with auxiliary heating system?
Appreciate 0