2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F11 520D

01-14-2023, 10:41 AM   #1
harshiltpatel12
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

F11 520D

Hi

I have a BMW 520D which had a dead battery, so I removed the battery and recharged it, before reinstalling.

I wanted to check if the battery needs to be registered or coded because it is the same battery that was originally installed and it was only removed for charging.

After reinstalling, I have noticed some errors on the dashboard which were not there before, as listed below:

1. Passenger Airbag fault
2. Chassis stabilisation fault
3. Brake Fault

Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 05:17 AM   #2
Johnkwick
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI

I think the errors were registered when your battery's voltage was below minimum. Try to clear the fault codes through ISTA or OBD scanners and ensure that the battery connector is properly seated.

I had a dead ignition coil on cylinder #3 and my car was throwing drivetrain malfunction. After I replaced the ignition coil, I still received a retrospective warning which I'm 99% sure it was coming from previously thrown error code. The warning was simply went away after I deleted the error codes through ISTA.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2023, 09:57 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

In the future...unless it is totally necessary...you don't have to remove the battery to recharge it.

Just hook up to the dedicated jump start terminals in the engine bay (that's what they were designed for). This way, any changes to the battery will also be detected by the IBS (intelligent battery sensor)...thus it will know that the battery has been recharged and not take the sudden change as an issue...which could show up as check control warnings.

If you don't know where the pos/neg jump terminals are located in the engine bay...check your owners manual...it should have a pic of their location. I believe the owners manual built into iDrive may also have info and a pic of their location.

See text underlined in green in the yellow highlighted area at the top of the page in info below:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0