2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Bmw 520d 2012 problem with someting electronical

01-03-2023, 07:19 AM   #1
metinkanat
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 520d

Bmw 520d 2012 problem with someting electronical

I was driving my girlfriend to work the other day to get something. We got out of the car to go get it and I let the car stay on to just stay warm. When I got back the engine was turned of but the headlights was staying on. I got into the car and trying to press start stop, nothing happend. I sat there for 20 minutes and I got a small hint of the car turing on. Like the service screen on the speedometer and the iDrive turning on. But it turned off in a few second. So this happend 3 times and the third time I timed it and started the car and sat it to D. I drove away fast and managed to drive the car for over 7 minutes. Until the car turned off in the middel of the highway. First the idrive and the car speedometer and then the engine. The car is just roling away even the steering was hard. So we was stranded a little bit until I got it turned on again and did the same as the earlier insident. But this time I got it home and managed to park it. So this stopped. The car was driving fine for two days again and I was starting to think the problem was over. I parked it in the garage yesterday. This morning I wasnt available to unlock the car, so my friend ended up driving me to work. I got back home trying to figure it out managed to unlock the doors. I think it was like when I drove the car, it gave me a few tries and everything is fine for a few seconds. So this time it happened again and I was availeble to unlock the car. I was thinking the battery is the problem. I even charged it while starting the car and let it stay on for long. The car was on for 30 minutes. So to charge the battery up even more I took it out on the highway. Then it stops AGAIN! I managed to get it home and now it is just standing there until I figure out what it is. My theory is that a fuze may be done. I know it aint the battery.

I just had service, changed timing chain, turbo and got it cleaned up 2 months ago. Used so much money on it. What can it be? The weather here is cold as well around -8 to -3 when this happened around 25 in fahrenheit. I have been searching everywhere but havent seen anyone with the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 12:38 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

I would still suspect the battery. How old is it? If replaced, was it registered? A battery with a dead cell (or more) can only take a limited charge. Cold takes a toll on batteries (I heard there is a lawsuit here against Tesla because their cars refuse to charge in very cold temps). The battery needs a load test to confirm its health.

How many volts does the battery show when the car isn't running? When it's running? Stationary should be around 12-12.5 and with the engine running around 14-14.7. If lower, I would suspect the alternator.

Then again, I'm not a mechanic so YMMV
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 02:47 PM   #3
metinkanat
Registered
Rep

i changed the battery and checked if the alternator is the problem, but no they are fine. The car says drivetrain malfuntion and everything is off. Out of nowhere the glovebox light turns on once in a while and a sound from the fuze box comes as well. This goes on for 1-2 minutes. This is all while the car is turned off. I feel like its a bad relay but which one? What could fix it?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 02:48 PM   #4
metinkanat
Registered
Rep

It sound like the car is trying to send power but something stops it and it keeps on trying
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 01:33 AM   #5
Tony 5
Finland
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI & Supra mk4 single/6mt

Have you checked battery + cable feedthrough? That can be oxygenated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0