2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Rennline phone mount install

01-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #1
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Rennline phone mount install

I was never satisfied with any of the other options out there, so I bit the bullet and bought the Rennline phone mount for the F10. At $45, it's pricey, but probably the cleanest option.

The kit comes with a magnetic phone mount. What comes in the package:

Screw on the bolt, use some pliers and a hex bit to tighten it down. Forget the size of the hex, surprised they didn't bother to include a hex bit in the kit.

Pull your trim out. Ideally use a trim tool, but I just used my fingers. Be firm but gentle, it's all held on by clips. Might need to open passenger side door to get the far passenger side trim out.

Undo the torx screw that is just to the right of the center console air ducts. It's T-25 or T-20, I forget which. Install the Rennline bracket, and tighten down. Don't tighten down too hard, it's threaded into plastic so its pretty easy to strip

This is what it looks like with nothing attached to the ball

It's a standard ball size, so pretty much any holder, mechanical or magnetic, will fit on it fine. My wireless charger as proof

Fat cat tax

Some questions that might get asked:
Q: Does the magnetic mount damage your phone?
A: No, the magnet is not strong enough to damage your electronics.

Q: Will the metal plate affect wireless charging?
A: Yes. No. Maybe. It really depends on where you place it, most phones have the induction coil at the center of the phone's back, so as long as you don't place it there you're fine. I placed the rectangular plate at the bottom of my phone, and my phone wirelessly charges just fine (Pixel 3 XL). If you can't get it to not block the coil, skip the magnetic part and just get a mechanical holder, the gravity style ones are slick. The balls these phone holder use are pretty much all standard ball sizes.

Q: How's phone navigation with the phone that far offset?
A: It's fine. If you glance at the map and can't remember at least the next turn, I'd be concerned. If anything, turn on voice navigation.

Q: Does it block anything?
A: For the driver, no. The passenger might have a tad bit harder time seeing the iDrive screen, but that's not a big deal imo
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Looks like you had to notch the center trim for clearance?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
Looks like you had to notch the center trim for clearance?
Nope, didn't do any cutting or modifying. Plug and play.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Thanks for posting this - I've been looking for something better than what I've been using.

The majority of times I'm in the car I don't mount my phone though, only for longer trips. I see your picture of just the ball sticking out - is it easy to install/remove the plastic caddy part on a per-trip basis? Or too much of a pain?

I was also thinking of a Proclip - center dash mount option on the right side. Have you ever directly compared Rennline with Proclip by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Thanks for posting this - I've been looking for something better than what I've been using.

The majority of times I'm in the car I don't mount my phone though, only for longer trips. I see your picture of just the ball sticking out - is it easy to install/remove the plastic caddy part on a per-trip basis? Or too much of a pain?

I was also thinking of a Proclip - center dash mount option on the right side. Have you ever directly compared Rennline with Proclip by any chance?
When you say plastic caddy, you mean this thing?

If so, yea very easy. You unscrew a plastic nut in the back so that the socket holding the ball can flex again, and you pop it right off. Takes probably 10 seconds. One thing to keep in mind, you really need to take a wrench and torque that metal ball down (within reason ofc). Otherwise, undoing the plastic nut can loosen the metal ball. I ran into this issue when I first installed and only hand tightened the ball.

My friend used to have the ProClip one. There's a couple of issues I had with it. Large phones can be a bit awkwardly angled. Larger passengers might bump into your phone a lot. Looking at the phone requires you to directly look down, taking the road completely out of your LoS. Rennline one at least keeps the road in your peripherals. Looks kinda jank (in my opinion).

It's not a bad option, I just think Rennline is probably a bit better of an option.

Last edited by Unspec; 12-02-2023 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
My friend used to have the ProClip one. There's a couple of issues I had with it. Large phones can be a bit awkwardly angled. Larger passengers might bump into your phone a lot. Looking at the phone requires you to directly look down, taking the road completely out of your LoS. Rennline one at least keeps the road in your peripherals. Looks kinda jank (in my opinion).

It's not a bad option, I just think Rennline is probably a bit better of an option.
Thanks for the insights - I'll be giving this one some thought. Not sure I wanted a magnetic solution any longer (I'd like to get away from requiring the metal plate on the phone) so I'll need to look into the options.

It sounds like the Proclip you experienced was the one that put the phone down by the shifter. I'm looking at vent-level. The catch I see is that it probably doesn't angle the phone towards the driver unless you also include a ball. I would put it on the right like in the small inset picture. It's probably pretty close to where the Rennline goes.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the insights - I'll be giving this one some thought. Not sure I wanted a magnetic solution any longer (I'd like to get away from requiring the metal plate on the phone) so I'll need to look into the options.

It sounds like the Proclip you experienced was the one that put the phone down by the shifter. I'm looking at vent-level. The catch I see is that it probably doesn't angle the phone towards the driver unless you also include a ball. I would put it on the right like in the small inset picture. It's probably pretty close to where the Rennline goes.

Not a fan of vent mounted solutions. I'm not sure how that thing mounts, but if it clips onto the actual vent fins, it can bend them over time and it makes it so you have a hard time adjusting the vent. Also, if you have the bigger NBT screens, it covers up a solid portion of the left side. Most concerning is that it blocks a lot of the back up camera view.

If you want a more mechanical holder, look for "gravity phone mount" on amazon and you'll find a lot. Basically, the arms are connected via gears to a bottom lever that the phone pushes down with it's own weight. The arms come in when the bottom goes down, grasping your phone. Lift the phone up, and the bottom will come up, making the arms go out. Pretty clever!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Not a fan of vent mounted solutions. I'm not sure how that thing mounts, but if it clips onto the actual vent fins, it can bend them over time and it makes it so you have a hard time adjusting the vent.
It's at the vents - it doesn't clip on the vents. Phones with cases are way too heavy to do that.

Quote:
If you want a more mechanical holder, look for "gravity phone mount" on amazon and you'll find a lot. Basically, the arms are connected via gears to a bottom lever that the phone pushes down with it's own weight. The arms come in when the bottom goes down, grasping your phone. Lift the phone up, and the bottom will come up, making the arms go out. Pretty clever!
Thanks for the key word to search for - sounds useful!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #9
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's at the vents - it doesn't clip on the vents. Phones with cases are way too heavy to do that.

Thanks for the key word to search for - sounds useful!
Interesting. Blocking the screen is still a concern though.

No problem!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 11:09 AM   #10
poverty.f10
DIY Mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive

Garage List
Sorry to revive this old af thread but it seems like my mounting bracket is kind of wobbly. Anyone have any issues with this?
      11-14-2023, 05:27 PM   #11
Unspec
Colonel
Rep

Try tightening the screw. It tends to get a little bit loose. I'd also add a dab of blue locktite.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 02:30 PM   #12
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by poverty.f10 View Post
Sorry to revive this old af thread but it seems like my mounting bracket is kind of wobbly. Anyone have any issues with this?
Mine is wobbly too, I added a Magsafe mount to it, and my phone wobbles when I drive presumably due to the weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 05:27 AM   #13
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Quote:
Nope, didn't do any cutting or modifying. Plug and play.
....More like screw in and play... lol, I just put one on myself a few months agao, and I got their tow hitch license plate frame