2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 Night Vision Retrofit DIY

10-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

F10 Night Vision Retrofit DIY

Okay, finishing up the surround view install on my 2013 F10. Not a hard job, just tedious for running the camera wires along factory wiring harness.

next project... NIGHT VISION!
  • Grill
  • Camera/ECU FROM SAME Salvage vehicle
  • Light Switch (Have to replace panel under headlight)
  • Harness? (4 custom built, 2 premade and one 2 pin repair kit)

Trying to find out what exactly I need and if someone put the part numbers together for the retrofit.

Let me know. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 08-22-2017 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
The Kid
Learning New Things
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Competition Package

Bump. +1
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Obtained the front Flir Camera, still looking for a DIY retrofit guide like the E60 had or a parts list from someone who did this.

List So Far:

Night Vision Camera and ECU MUST BE FROM same donor car! REALOEM.com for compatible part numbers and then call recycle yards for parts. You can pay about 10-15 dollars on some sites and they will send out a national request. Much cheaper than EBay.
ECU behind Light switch -12148610680 (retail new) Vin is coded to it
Array of Driver Assistance buttons, incl NiVi on/off, complete set and caps needs to be snapped on within the correct sequence according your car's options
-HSD+2 cable
insert MQS-12 connector
covering cap MQS-12 connector
inserts MQS-12
Water tubing front complete incl NiVi outled
Waterjet NiVi bracket
Screw jet to bracket
Fixing bolt NVE - to have the ecu fixed to the car's bracket.
Snap lock to be installed into the car's bracket (behind the headlight switch).
New airguide with NiVi bracket cut-out
New Front Grills (have to be painted black as they come in silver)
Left 51137203203 $71.69 Right 51137203204 $68.28

Here are steps with pics of cables:

You plug the short black Y cable into it (marked 1 on photo 1). One of the two ends of this splitter Y cable has a plug with two wires (yellow/white and blue/black) going to it (as seen on image 5, the left plug of two alongside). This plug indeed can be cut off and extended with regular wire all the way up to pins 9 and 10 of socket A80*1B on the NV module - which is the black rectangular 12pin socket.

The other connector of this Y cable splitter shall not be cut off. You won't be able to extend it this way, as the signal most likely will be lost to a special design of the cable (despite the electrical connections being good). Instead it must be connected to the NV modules A80*2B black roundish socket with a extension cable terminated with appropriate plugs at both ends. It seems like cable 2 from image 1 would be good for this if it wasn't missing a plug at one end :-( I cant see if cable 3 from image one would be good nor if it has any connectors.

A80*3B is the white socket on the NV module and it outputs the signal to the HU.

So the following statement you made is generally true:

a single wiring harness from the front camera to the ECU. (made of the Y cable and extensions to the ECU)
Build a second harness from the Night vision ECU to the Control unit to turn night vision on and off. (I would rephrase this - From the NV ECU through the Activation module to the ZGW)
Then a third harness from the NV ECU over to the factory NAV head unit.

and the NV power cable.

Images NV_FXX and Night_4 pretty much explain the wiring now when you know which plug on the NV is which.
Attached Images

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 11-03-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 06:19 AM   #4
Adnbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535d f10

Can you post the final results of your jobs . Is it complicated or worth it? Interested also with surrond view give us please full infos on your process. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Surround view is worth every penny. Pretty simple installation, but takes some time. Have to replace Both side mirrors (Else you have to purchase every outer piece to convert standard mirrors over to Surround mirrors, Best best is ebay) Run cable from mirror to door harness on each side, then run from door harness to rear backup camera ecu. Rear ECU has to be replaced with Surround ECU. Use REALOEM.com to identify proper part numbers. Then just have car coded by either Bimmertech.net or independent coder.

Bimmertech sells complete kit if you want to buy the whole thing from them.

Night Vision I am currently figuring out wiring harness with assistance of Bimmertech, have to get a emulator to fool car to seeing night vision. IF car is not built with Night vision, you cannot retrofit it without an emulator. When Installing night vision, you MUST purchase Camera and ECU from SAME car. Best bet to obtain this is to go online, and do a parts search for junk yards. Some sites will charge 5 or 10 dollars to put your request out on the network and then you will get responses.

Since Night Vision is part of the OEM harness normally, you have to custom build the harness with OEM BMW wires and connectors. Paladin 8026 which is crimp tool and die for under 100 dollars will make the wiring much easier.

If you search the forums on surround view, you will find tips I have listed as well as others.

Last edited by mikekilpatrick; 08-14-2017 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
NV GUNS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Garage List
2023 M550  [6.75]
2019 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2002 330ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
Surround view is worth every penny. Pretty simple installation, but takes some time. Have to replace Both side mirrors (Else you have to purchase every outer piece to convert standard mirrors over to Surround mirrors, Best best is ebay) Run cable from mirror to door harness on each side, then run from door harness to rear backup camera ecu. Rear ECU has to be replaced with Surround ECU. Use REALOEM.com to identify proper part numbers. Then just have car coded by either Bimmertech.net or independent coder.

Bimmertech sells complete kit if you want to buy the whole thing from them.

Night Vision I am currently building wiring harness with assistance of Bimmertech, have to get a emulator to code it. When Installing night vision, you MUST purchase Camera and ECU from SAME car. Best bet to obtain this is to go online, and do a parts search for junk yards. Some sites will charge 5 or 10 dollars to put your request out on the network and then you will get responses.

Since Night Vision is part of the OEM harness normally, you have to custom build the harness with OEM BMW wires and connectors.

I will have night vision installed within 3 weeks as I have been slammed all Summer with work.

If you search the forums on surround view, you will find tips I have listed as well as others.
What type of connectors are on the cameras? Can you post a pic of them please? I am thinking about putting a from camera on. All I have to do is plug it in since I have a OEM rear one. I would like to save some cash and buy one that I use on the robots I fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

ECU http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-66539219...JXWHh3&vxp=mtr

Need this for center Console for surround view http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-GEAR-MOD...NXh1RT&vxp=mtr

Surround view and side view cameras all have SAME connection port
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Side-View-Dr...ZXbD1-&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
Arctic Driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

F10 Night Vision

Greetings,

I am just beginning the same project and would appreciate collaborating with you. I have the majority of the parts needed to begin including the matched ECU and NV camera, some original cables from the donor vehicle and just ordered/received the needed Night Vision Activator from Car Systems.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

V/r,

FRANK
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
HarinderG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

is there a tutorial on how to install the surround view on the f10? also a parts list would be awesome
      05-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarinderG View Post
is there a tutorial on how to install the surround view on the f10? also a parts list would be awesome
Here is a link to parts:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...=surround+view

search forums for surround view DIY, i think i posted pics when I did it. BMW has replacement procedure for camera cables which basically walk you through procedure as well
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #11
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

OK, NIGHT VISION IS FINALLY BEING FINISHED!!! WOOO HOOOO. I have spent the past several months finding the stinking right Wiring harness from "Y" connector that comes from NV Camera in grill over the the Drivers side wheel well. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE knew what harness to buy to connect the Y connection back into the Passenger compartment. Well, I ordered 5 different harnesses from our friends at www.getbmwparts.com and Jason worked with me to order these puppies from Germany and then let me return the ones that did not work. Mind you, I have been doing business with them for over ten years so they were really giving on this. The end result is now you can plug and play the HSD harness for the camera and with a BMW REPAIR kit (about 5.00 dollars), you can build the female end on the second part of the Y harness. Then run everything along factory harness (Cut Zip ties and then put them back in with new wires) and run everything into the car!

I found that you have to get to the central control module in the footwell and then pop out pin 46 and 47 for the Can Bus, build a new pin connection with 2 wires instead of the OEM one, and start plugging everything in!

TWO FREAKING years I have been researching, looking for parts, Locating Double slotted M5 grills that are painted black and then figuring out the NV camera enclosure for fitting a LCI NV grill to a Pre LCI vehicle. BUT IT IS ALMOST DONE NOW!!

I have located a person to source many of the parts from near Germany at a lower cost, Figured out how to obtain NV camera and ECU (MUST BE FROM SAME CAR for a retrofit), Located every single cable to make it look OEM and then do the wiring so not even the dealer can tell it is a retrofit.

Have been taking pictures along the way and have cleared up MANY MANY MANY questions that I have not seen ANYONE else go into detail upon. But this retrofit, ONCE you get the details figures out, is really not that hard.

Yes, you have to pull the front bumper, yes, you have to replace the air guide in the front end, Yes, you have to build parts of your harnesses, but this was not as hard as the Surround view retrofit.

As soon as I finish wiring tomorrow, and I have it coded by BimmerTech, I will post pictures of it.

This retrofit IS doable and not that hard once you get clear instructions and figure things out.

Only THREE more projects and only after three years will my F10 Msport, Dinan 550, be finally completed.
Appreciate 3
      08-13-2017, 03:02 AM   #12
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnbmw View Post
Can you post the final results of your jobs . Is it complicated or worth it? Interested also with surrond view give us please full infos on your process. Thanks
Yup will have pics soon
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #13
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

Looking forward to your DIY...

Question, If I already have surround view; would I need to purchase any additional control modules? Looking at the ebay links you posted, I already have the center console controls and should have the ECU since my car has reverse, side view and top view...I think I just need the front face camera. Also, dumb question; can the night vision camera be used in the day time? like for help parking so I can watch out for parking blocks? Thats what I really want it for.
      08-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #14
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
Looking forward to your DIY...

Question, If I already have surround view; would I need to purchase any additional control modules? Looking at the ebay links you posted, I already have the center console controls and should have the ECU since my car has reverse, side view and top view...I think I just need the front face camera. Also, dumb question; can the night vision camera be used in the day time? like for help parking so I can watch out for parking blocks? Thats what I really want it for.
Yes, You will need a Night Vision camera AND ECU from the SAME car, dont look on ebay, do a parts request search from salvage yards. This is because the primary ECU on BMWs are coded at factory to have night vision or not. You will need to obtain an emulator from bimmertech to fool the main ECU to see the NV camera and ECU. Need a harness from NV camera to fender, a special numbered harness from Fender to inside cabin, a 2 pin BMW repair kit, build a second 2 pin harness and run into cabin, Run 2 wires into the quadlock in back of the CIC/NBT unit, 2 wires into Control Gateway Module (for Canbus connection), Power from trunk fuse box and build a couple 2-4 wire harnesses from NV ECU over to Quadlock and then over to Central Control GW module.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #15
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Took a long to research all OEM cables and parts, wiring then took more time and I finally had to make sure everything was routed neatly and looks OEM. But Night vision went live this past weekend! Long road but success is sweet.
Appreciate 1
exclusivo125.50
      11-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #16
VMAX
Registered
Rep
Drives: 545i and 118d

Quote:
Took a long to research all OEM cables and parts, wiring then took more time and I finally had to make sure everything was routed neatly and looks OEM. But Night vision went live this past weekend! Long road but success is sweet.
have you buyed camera and ecu from the same car ?
as you have fixed for the code fsc app id 0x04 and 0x05?
I am trying to retrofit NIVI on my F11 with the right emulaor .....
I know that the ECU and CAMERA must be from the same car
so with FSC just enabled for one VIN.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #17
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Yes I obtained the camera and ECU from same car. EBay costs too much, if someone else is doing this project, google recycle yards on the web and you can put out a parts request, based on your model, for something like 10 or 20 dollars. You will then get multiple junk yards calling you back with prices on parts. I had what I Needed in 2 days after spending months looking on eBay. The emulator I purchased was from BimmerTech and then I had them code it for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #18
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Parts from other thread:

Finished my Surround view this past weekend and everything is working great. Putting this together so part numbers and any questions can be posted and I can answer since I did all of this myself.

Have to replace both side mirrors with Surround view camera mirrors. 4 cables, 4 Cameras, ECU, front mounts. Bumper does NOT need to be removed for install, just remove the front fender skirts and front wheels. BMW Marks the front bumper with exactly where to drill the holes for the cameras.

01 Side-view camera 2 66539240352
02 BRACKET LEFT 1 51117207921
02 BRACKET RIGHT 1 51117207922
03 Fillister head screw 4 07149166316
For vehicles with
Side View Camera
S5DKA=Yes
04 Wiring harness, Side View Camera 2 61119182329

i For vehicles with
Backup camera and Top View
or
Surround View
S3AHA=Yes

S5DLA=Yes
01 ECU for Top Rear Side View camera 1 07/2014 66539302258 ENDED
01 ECU for Top Rear Side View camera 1 07/2015 66539350997
01 ECU for Top Rear Side View camera 1 66539393952
02 Hex nut M5 2 07129906048 $0.73
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2018, 06:04 AM   #19
BeGedis
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 2014

Quote:
OK, NIGHT VISION IS FINALLY BEING FINISHED!!! WOOO HOOOO. I have spent the past several months finding the stinking right Wiring harness from "Y" connector that comes from NV Camera in grill over the the Drivers side wheel well. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE knew what harness to buy to connect the Y connection back into the Passenger compartment. Well, I ordered 5 different harnesses from our friends at www.getbmwparts.com and Jason worked with me to order these puppies from Germany and then let me return the ones that did not work. Mind you, I have been doing business with them for over ten years so they were really giving on this. The end result is now you can plug and play the HSD harness for the camera and with a BMW REPAIR kit (about 5.00 dollars), you can build the female end on the second part of the Y harness. Then run everything along factory harness (Cut Zip ties and then put them back in with new wires) and run everything into the car!

I found that you have to get to the central control module in the footwell and then pop out pin 46 and 47 for the Can Bus, build a new pin connection with 2 wires instead of the OEM one, and start plugging everything in!

TWO FREAKING years I have been researching, looking for parts, Locating Double slotted M5 grills that are painted black and then figuring out the NV camera enclosure for fitting a LCI NV grill to a Pre LCI vehicle. BUT IT IS ALMOST DONE NOW!!

I have located a person to source many of the parts from near Germany at a lower cost, Figured out how to obtain NV camera and ECU (MUST BE FROM SAME CAR for a retrofit), Located every single cable to make it look OEM and then do the wiring so not even the dealer can tell it is a retrofit.

Have been taking pictures along the way and have cleared up MANY MANY MANY questions that I have not seen ANYONE else go into detail upon. But this retrofit, ONCE you get the details figures out, is really not that hard.

Yes, you have to pull the front bumper, yes, you have to replace the air guide in the front end, Yes, you have to build parts of your harnesses, but this was not as hard as the Surround view retrofit.

As soon as I finish wiring tomorrow, and I have it coded by BimmerTech, I will post pictures of it.

This retrofit IS doable and not that hard once you get clear instructions and figure things out.

Only THREE more projects and only after three years will my F10 Msport, Dinan 550, be finally completed.
bought new night vision camera and module.. can you please tell me or show me the scheme where to find nv module?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #20
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeGedis View Post
bought new night vision camera and module.. can you please tell me or show me the scheme where to find nv module?
NV Module is behind your Headlight and Glove Compartment on left side of steering Wheel. Remove headlight switch assembly, Remove glove compartment and then you will see a metal bracket where the NV module attaches to the car with a 10 MM Bolt.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:05 PM   #21
Techgeek80s
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 silver 535xi

Quote:
Okay, finishing up the surround view install on my 2013 F10. Not a hard job, just tedious for running the camera wires along factory wiring harness.

next project... NIGHT VISION!
  • Grill
  • Camera/ECU FROM SAME Salvage vehicle
  • Light Switch (Have to replace panel under headlight)
  • Harness? (4 custom built, 2 premade and one 2 pin repair kit)

Trying to find out what exactly I need and if someone put the part numbers together for the retrofit.

Let me know. Thanks in advance.

Dude that’s a kick ass feature def wanna see how this night vision mod end
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #22
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek80s View Post
Dude that’s a kick ass feature def wanna see how this night vision mod end
Mod For Night Vision is done. Search for DIY Night Vision thread i have posted. Main thing is to acquire Camera and ECU FROM SAME DONOR CAR! You can put a request out on the Recycling yards nationwide for like 10 or 15 dollars and junk yards will contact you back with results. I paid 1000 for Camera and ECU from a 7 series which is cross compatible with 5 Series. Then plug in the harnesses, new air guide on front of car, which requires bumper removal and safety brace. Some manipulation of support pieces let you skip the www.bmwtis.com instructions. Then run cables into car through Grommet in Firewall and finally you will have to add THREE wires into the back of the quadlock FBAS+- and Shield. Quadlock to NV ECU and then PIN 46 and 47 into the Main Computer loop for the system wide recognition of the ECU. You MUST have an emulator to make all of this work as it is not possible to add NV to a car that did not come from Factory without Emulator.
Appreciate 1