2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Run flat tyres saved me

07-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
ob2ob2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G32 630d GT xDrive Msports

Run flat tyres saved me

In a dark late Sunday evening, I was driving home on M4. The roads were quiet, I was driving with the cruise control at 70 mph. Just after passing J10, suddenly a warning message pops up, saying all wheels lost the air pressure. My car is amazingly calm and stable, I couldn't feel a thing. I thought it could be a problem with the sensors, so I continued to drive at the speed of 70 mph, and got off at the next junction, into the nearest petrol station.

To my surprise, my driver-side-rear tyre looks completely deflated, all other 3 looks fine. I put in the air of all 4 to the right air pressure, and drove another 15 miles home. The following morning, that tyre again was completely deflated. I pumped the tyre to the right pressure, and quickly drove to a tyre shop. They found a whole in that tyre, but couldn't see any share object that may have caused it.

My car doesn't display the temperature and the pressure of each tyre. I guess it might be the low-cost ABS based solution, rather than the proper TPMS sensors.

I hate to see the price tag of my RFT tyres, £300 each (20in Pirelli P-zero) is very expensive to me. However, I think it is priceless for being able to drive home safely.
Appreciate 0