2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Carpet removal

05-17-2022, 05:53 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Carpet removal

We had the carpeting on our stairs replaced today. The last time it was done 8 or 10 years ago, it was through Home Depot. Despite us telling them at the time we needed them to take the old carpet away, that never made it onto the contract. So the installers just dumped it out the front door and I had to clean up the mess. This time we went with a local place who hires out different installers. I told the salesman I wanted the installers to remove the old carpet and take it away. I made it extremely clear. He even showed me on the contract, which I still have, that I was being charged $75 for removal.

So today the installers show up and the first thing the installer foreman asks is where he should put the old carpet they're going to tear out. My jaw must have hit the floor. I told him I paid for removal, which I made clear needed to be full removal off the floor, out the door, into a vehicle, and off to a dumpster somewhere. He insisted that the $75 removal fee was just for stripping the old carpet off the floor, not for disposing of it. We went back and forth a bit and then he called the carpet company. They told him the carpet coming off the floor was such a small quantity (just stairs) that they'd dispose of it. Problem solved.

But what if this had been several rooms? We're getting ready to remove carpet from two bedrooms and a small connecting hallway. How do I make it clear to the contractor that I want the carpet to be taken away by them? I guess I need to ask for removal *and* disposal?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 05-18-2022 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 2
Buug95917411.00
vreihen1615280.00
      05-17-2022, 08:47 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

That is really interesting.
I’m about to get total carpet replacement.

Yeah so after reading your experiences. I would have typed onto the invoice / contract the specific that at the time, on the same day the installers put down the new carpet they need to remove old carpet and padding off your property and to an appropriate dump location.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
That is really interesting.
I’m about to get total carpet replacement.

Yeah so after reading your experiences. I would have typed onto the invoice / contract the specific that at the time, on the same day the installers put down the new carpet they need to remove old carpet and padding off your property and to an appropriate dump location.
Recently had staircase and entire upstairs carpet replaced in our primary residence. Also replaced the great room which measures 20x27' for reference as part of the same project. Our all in cost included removal & disposal of the old carpet in addition to the installation of the new flooring. We made sure it was stated in the estimate and never had an issue. Telling that both the installer and company you bought the carpet from didn't think to ask or bring it up. Very few homeowners have the ability to dispose of old carpet. I highly suggest using a different company going forward and learning from this experience by documenting your expectations for future projects.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 09:17 PM   #4
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaC-N54-E82 View Post
Recently had staircase and entire upstairs carpet replaced in our primary residence. Also replaced the great room which measures 20x27' for reference as part of the same project. Our all in cost included removal & disposal of the old carpet in addition to the installation of the new flooring. We made sure it was stated in the estimate and never had an issue. Telling that both the installer and company you bought the carpet from didn't think to ask or bring it up. Very few homeowners have the ability to dispose of old carpet. I highly suggest using a different company going forward and learning from this experience by documenting your expectations for future projects.
We have a contract to have carpet in two rooms replaced with wood. I'm going to get with the store tomorrow and make sure they can show me where it says they'll haul away the old carpet.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Buug95917411.00
      05-18-2022, 03:38 AM   #5
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
We have a contract to have carpet in two rooms replaced with wood. I'm going to get with the store tomorrow and make sure they can show me where it says they'll haul away the old carpet.
I don't know how you deal this out previous before ordering the company in the US, but here we're talking about possible work to do before and also taking the old trash with them would be a point.
This depends also for very big screen TV's, refrigerators and so on, if filed, the company takes the old crap with them w/o further asking. Even if they tile my bathroom new, they would clean up the whole trash after finishing I got rid of this. Everything a matter of contraction and obviously paying for this.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 06:21 AM   #6
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Reminds me of the time I had my gutters cleaned out. Dude just got on my roof with a leaf blower and blew all the junk onto my newly landscaped beds surrounding the house.

“Well you didn’t tell us where you wanted the junk to go…”

Yes, you’re right, I clearly wanted the crap all over my new mulch and bushes.

When I had all the carpet replaced in the house, I didn’t even think to ask to have the old removed. Of course I don’t want it. They hauled it all out to dispose without question.
Appreciate 0