2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum From Japanese to German.. Should i buy? see pics.

06-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #89
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher1980 View Post
hey guys i think i found a good one.
2013 535xi
m sport
premium
cold weather
premium
technology
drivers assist
comfort seats
ventilated seats
60k miles

i think thats pretty much every option aside from maybe adaptive cruise and the fancier suspension?

i hate paying retail (actual tax) but with this one it would be nice since the bmw dealership sold it new, and then just took it in and it was a CPO from the 2nd owner, so they know the vehicle.

let me know if you see anything cool on the decoder link too.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=243895712

decoder:
https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/du77579
Weird... It says it's at a BMW dealer (BMW of Toledo) yet it doesn't show up in their online inventory. It is well optioned. I would get a PPI and a warranty to 100K miles were you to purchase this.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #90
WoodButcher1980
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Well I can tell you it's like 3 days old and they just threw a few photos up without detailing it yet... so maybe that's why. They are doing the service and detailing next week. It's about 3 hours from me, but if all checks out and they say it is as clean as it is, I might just get a rental car and go out there. Worst case scenario I'm out fifty bucks for the rental
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #91
Jeffcharger
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60, F10 (535i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher1980 View Post
Well I can tell you it's like 3 days old and they just threw a few photos up without detailing it yet... so maybe that's why. They are doing the service and detailing next week. It's about 3 hours from me, but if all checks out and they say it is as clean as it is, I might just get a rental car and go out there. Worst case scenario I'm out fifty bucks for the rental
I think that you’ve been looking for the “right” car for a while. My thinking is that if you find the right car, optioned the way you want, in the right colour, and mileage....you should hop on it. It’s really disappointing if you miss it through procrastination, and when people miss it, they rush their next purchase. If it’s the right car....jump on it!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:11 PM   #92
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
It has the Head-Up Display. Very cool feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:40 PM   #93
WoodButcher1980
Private
Rep

Ya it's mandatory for me. Every one I've tested has had it. Pretty neat.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #94
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Yes that is a nice one.
Again you're getting hung up on the "every available option" thing.
It will be difficult to find one, let alone for sale, plus for sale in the time period you're looking at. There just weren't that many ordered like that.
Like Nappa leather ( Next higher grade over Dakota which this one has), personally I didn't care for Nappa. My rear felt more slick in the seat.
HK sound system, mine like this one has HiFi which is fine by me.
I did notice it has the heated wheel, I do miss that option. ( I didn't know they changed the winter package).
It has the power trunk, I have grown to like that.
Of course the HUD, can't be without that( I'm telling you, these things will spoil you).
Not that it matters much but I also didn't see the high speed synchronization ( this option increases the top speed limiter to 155) and though I have tested it. ;-)
The website descriptions does blur some things, "Leather shift knob", they have leather boot but not the knob.
Anyway, do your diligence and get a PPI.
Yes it would be well worth a drive to check out.
Oh and just so you know, being a 13, connecteddrive no longer functions.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 03:36 AM   #95
WoodButcher1980
Private
Rep

So you're suggesting getting a independant mechanic by the dealer to check it out? I was hoping that since they did the maintenence since day 1 I would be OK. I guess it's a good idea.

Now with the connectdrive... I'll ONLY lose the ability to send map addresses from my phone to the cars GPS, right? Nothing else? Bluetooth for playing phone music will be OK, map updates will happen, etc right?

Also is the navigation any good anyways?? I would love to use the functionality of the heads-up display when navigating, but I've never seen a car's native navigation software actually work better than Google Maps on my phone . That is of course unless you have Android auto where you can just use your phone and mirror the Google Maps app from your phone to car

To confuse me even more, the 2014 diesel 535i at the link below was built 2 months apart from the above 2013 model, yet you're telling me that it won't have an issue since the model year is 2014? That's weird!

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WBAFV3C55EDZ33717

Last edited by WoodButcher1980; 06-22-2019 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #96
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

Yes by an Independent BMW mechanic, it will be money well spent.
For connecteddrive, you will lose more.
Anything that uses bmw services, map updates, no you wouldn't get them anyway.
They weren't sent over the air for this generation anyway.
The 13 was the last year they used 2g for this type of communication.
AT&T stopped support for this and they owned the infrastructure.
Original owners were offered a couple hundred dollars or the upgrade module.
There is no way to tell who had it done by VIN or most other means.
Only the dealers service history would know.
2014 was the first year for the LCI which did include the update to 3g plus IDrive.
You will also find out some things are subscription based, meaning you will have to pay yearly fees to keep them active.
I told you it would be confusing. :-)
Yes, either way you could still do Bluetooth and music via.
IDrive maps vs Google maps, really preference there.
You won't see the map in HUD, you will see a graphical representation plus voice prompt.
I prefer IDrive myself.
You will have to pay (there are other ways if you prefer) for map updates and self apply them.
While I'm thinking about music, again that is a matter of preference.
I have all my favorites on a 64gb thumb drive that I keep plugged into the center console.
To continue, someone posted when you find what you want jump on it.
To me that is partially right, you need to know what you want first.
Also you want to make sure you don't jump into a money pit.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #97
WoodButcher1980
Private
Rep

Well I really appreciate all the info. I've waited long enough for a nice car I can probably have some more patience and look for a 2014 and up then. I didn't know that there was no iDrive prior to that.

If I purchase the 2014 then no matter what it would have iDrive correct? And if it was a 2014 model would I be able to update it to use Android auto? Or is that too old of a firmware to accept Android or Apple carplay? I use navigation a lot but have found that the car-based directions are always way less efficient than my Google Maps on my phone. For example we just got a two-year-old Nissan Armada for the wife the map was incredibly outdated and suggested adding roughly 45 minutes to our trip home from the dealer when we bought it., I pulled up Google Maps on my phone and it gave us the most accurate and shortest route.. It's a trust thing I guess. That's why I'm a little bit jaded since I've never seen one that actually gives the smartest route.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #98
Jeffcharger
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60, F10 (535i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
To continue, someone posted when you find what you want jump on it.
To me that is partially right, you need to know what you want first.
Also you want to make sure you don't jump into a money pit.
That would be me....and I agree with you. You certainly don’t want to jump blindly, and you should do your diligence, but my belief is that you need to move on it before it’s snatched up by someone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #99
WoodButcher1980
Private
Rep

It's definitely confusing though since this link shows 9-2012 as the update, and then after that was 2016.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #100
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

You misunderstand, yes it has IDrive.
I said connecteddrive.
This is services like concierge, office, apps, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #101
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffcharger View Post
That would be me....and I agree with you. You certainly don’t want to jump blindly, and you should do your diligence, but my belief is that you need to move on it before it’s snatched up by someone else.
That I agree.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #102
WoodButcher1980
Private
Rep

Thanks for the clarification. I just looked up connected drive and the only thing I would be interested in is the apps and it seems like anything that is worthwhile you have to pay for which I'm definitely not interested in. We pay enough in services for things for the kids. My expectations for the technology in the car would not be very high since any make vehicle back in 2013 or 2014 didn't have a lot of gui tech since things were just starting to roll out after that. As long as I had Bluetooth connectivity for my phone, and I have no disadvantage with the maps and my hud when purchasing a 2013 / 2014, I really wouldn't care. I know there were some software updates on the 2014 LCI so I have to look that up to see what they were specifically.

As far as what I want, I definitely know now either a M sport or luxury series just because of those 5 spoke rims are 100 times better looking in my opinion on the F10. I also want head-up display since I really like that feature when I've done test drives. As far as the Comfort Seats... I'm in pretty good shape and not too brittle yet so the standard seats feel fine to me. I do like the extending headrest on the comfort seats. I just tried those out yesterday. The only issue with those are if you extend it far enough so that your head is resting while you're driving you feel every bump through your head slightly.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #103
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

The Android auto and carplay I don't know much about.
The trust thing, you may be right.
I'm a tech guy and I have learned you don't trust Google.
In fact you don't trust any of them, but you learn to pick the lesser evil.
I will tell you that your maps will be dated compared to Waze or Google.
Even the newest 5 series generation (G30) people talk of this, and this is the generation that does get OTA (Over The Air) maps.
Versions of IDrive, this is a whole other can of worms, I'll just stick with the 14 is LCI and has the next version up.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #104
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

The way you use maps will not show in HUD, even the newest version won't show Google maps there.
Any headrest will be like that, your neck is a shock absorber.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #105
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

Oh and wheels can be changed.
Check the "Marketplace" sub forum here, they are being bought and sold often.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #106
WoodButcher1980
Private
Rep

Yeah I've never rested my head on my back rest while driving. It's never forward enough for my head to rest on I guess. Obviously the Comfort Seats would solve that. That's how I noticed the back of the head vibration while driving one with contoured seats and the headrest fully extended forward.

Also I'm sure five spoke wheels like the luxury and M sport would be just as much money purchased separately as it would be to just wait for the M sport or luxury model to be available for sale
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #107
WoodButcher1980
Private
Rep

Interested in the navigation since it sounds like it's actually pretty decent compared to Google Maps. Would I be restricted with the 2013 instead of 14? I'm hoping that the maps won't be 6 years old and there's some way of updating with a jump drive or something... I know there's been multiple roads 20 minutes from my house that are brand new and that would be really weird if they didn't show up
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #108
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

"You will have to pay (there are other ways if you prefer) for map updates and self apply them."
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #109
WoodButcher1980
Private
Rep

Got it. I'll search for the hacked ways to update maps😉.

Over the weekend I'll look up connecteddrive and why I would even need it... Which I wouldnt if it's all $$ subscriptions.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #110
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Addressing some stuff...

I opted for the upgrade in our 2012 but won't pay the $200 yearly for services my wife won't use. I still get traffic reports. BMW changed the subscriptions for the NBT (LCI) cars and I pay $50 for traffic and $50 for BMW Online. I have no need for the concierge services.

You need the APPS option (something like 6NR) to access, well, apps. Both our cars have it, though there is something going on with ConnectedDrive at the moment.

The regular seats are more softly sprung than the comfort seats. It almost feels like an old Buick seat.

The only time the NAV let me down was in Asheville, N.C. trying to find the Biltmore Mansion. My phone wasn't any better. I really like the directions in the HUD. As wcr3d said, the maps are upgradeable. I purchased a lifetime (required) FSC for something like $20 and the map software is free from various places. I update every couple of revisions; my 2014 is on 19-1 and when 20-1 comes out I'll probably install that update. The FSC is VIN specific.

And as was said, iDrive has been around for a long time. The version you'll want in the F10 is NBT. I have both NBT and CIC and the NBT is much better, IMHO. The version in the G30 is that much better.

The best advise I can give is... DON'T BE A SETTLER!! I settled on my first F10 after a 3 month search. The search for my 2014 took almost 6 months. Had I been more decisive I would have been able to get the ventilated seats.
Appreciate 0