2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rattle coming from engine bay or dashboard ?

12-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
Dragoss91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10

Having this for about a week, surely doesnt come from windshield vent or other vents.
It always occurs at cold in load , sometimes when I take corners and engine is in low rpm and load. I can trigger it myself when parked in drive with brake pressed at 1000rpm and cold.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

What side is it coming from? I have a rattle at certain RPM's and speeds coming from that little compartment under the headlight controls. Still not sure what it is, but if I press in on the lid the rattle goes away.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Dragoss91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
What side is it coming from? I have a rattle at certain RPM's and speeds coming from that little compartment under the headlight controls. Still not sure what it is, but if I press in on the lid the rattle goes away.
Comes from the center of dashboard, like from that top speaker from center
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
Which engine do you have? Do you have the auxiliary oil cooler in front of the front right wheel?
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i

Last edited by GrabacrOne; 12-14-2020 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
Dragoss91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
Quote:
Which engine do you have? Do you have the auxiliary oil cooler in front of the front right wheel?
Its n47t 525d 218hp . I dont know if it has auxiliary oil cooler. I dont think it can come from that far, I think it may come from the wall that is at the back of engine ??
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
GrabacrOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Its n47t 525d 218hp . I dont know if it has auxiliary oil cooler. I dont think it can come from that far, I think it may come from the wall that is at the back of engine ??
I have an N55 and had a similar very rattle that would only appear under load or on an incline. It turned out that the oil cooler lines from the auxiliary cooler which go around the front subframe/frame rails would occasionally tap against the frame because even though they are mounted on rubber mounts, they have some play. Since they rattled against the frame, it sounded like it was coming from just behind the dashboard or firewall.

I added some high temperature-rated foam pipe insulation around the exposed metal part of the oil cooler lines from the front right wheel well and this fixed the rattle. Alternatively, you could make the lines more rigid by tightening the rubber strap mounts but I'm not sure it's a good idea since the engine can move slightly. There is actually little clearance around the oil lines and the frame so even small amount of movement can cause contact.

Not sure if this is your problem but I would try to have someone grab on to different loose lines or pipes in the engine bay when you can replicate the rattle to see what is causing the issue.
Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #578262 as a referral.

F10 535i M-Sport | Gone but not forgotten: G01 X3 xDrive30i M-Sport; F15 X5 xDrive35i; E70 X5 4.8i
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 02:33 AM   #7
Dragoss91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabacrOne View Post
I have an N55 and had a similar very rattle that would only appear under load or on an incline. It turned out that the oil cooler lines from the auxiliary cooler which go around the front subframe/frame rails would occasionally tap against the frame because even though they are mounted on rubber mounts, they have some play. Since they rattled against the frame, it sounded like it was coming from just behind the dashboard or firewall.

I added some high temperature-rated foam pipe insulation around the exposed metal part of the oil cooler lines from the front right wheel well and this fixed the rattle. Alternatively, you could make the lines more rigid by tightening the rubber strap mounts but I'm not sure it's a good idea since the engine can move slightly. There is actually little clearance around the oil lines and the frame so even small amount of movement can cause contact.

Not sure if this is your problem but I would try to have someone grab on to different loose lines or pipes in the engine bay when you can replicate the rattle to see what is causing the issue.
I think N47 doesnt have that oil cooler, but yes, it sounds like some metal or hard material hits the engine bay. 2 weeks ago I had my car at mechanic to replace the rocker cover and maybe something got unaligned there. I will take a look. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #8
Dragoss91
Enlisted Member
Rep

I removed engine covers and airfilter support to check the back of the engine, also that plastic cover from windshield wipers to look inside but didn't find anything. I'm afraid that sound comes from the inside of dashboard and I'm not going to remove whole dashboard
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
Dragoss91
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I removed engine covers and airfilter support to check the back of the engine, also that plastic cover from windshield wipers to look inside but didn't find anything. I'm afraid that sound comes from the inside of dashboard and I'm not going to remove whole dashboard
Solved, all gone after replacing engine and transmission supports.

Merry christmas to anyone !
Appreciate 0