2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum CPO Question - Tires wore unevenly

09-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
CPO Question - Tires wore unevenly

My mother bought a CPO 535i MSport from a dealership about 2 hours from her home - about a year ago. At the time she bought it I recall thinking the back tires looked great and the fronts looked more worn but still within limits. I am sure the tires on the car or the original tires that came on it when manufactured as the car only had 14,000 miles when she bought it.

In one year she's only put 6000 miles on the car it's basically at 20,000.

She recently took the car to the dealer near her house to change the oil and the first thing they did was give her a bill and claims she needs new front tires - they documented that the tires have one on evenly and the outer edges are cupped.

I took a look at her tires the backs still look fine the front tires however have indeed cupped. Making me think when they sold her the car the alignment was probably off and it's wearing unevenly. My mom is 72... she's put very little mileage on the car and she's obviously not tracking the thing...

Her car has the M sport package with staggered wheels so she cannot rotate the tires front to back.

Her car has the original equipment wheels which are Bridgestone Turanza run flats they're quite expensive tires for what they area.

I know in general something like tires are considered wear and tear and the dealership is not going to want to honor a claim but I wondered given such low mileage she put on it and given the way the tires appear to have one unevenly if you think the local dealer if she press them might submit a claim under the warranty? Or would BMW laugh their heads off and say no way their tires??
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
My mother bought a CPO 535i MSport from a dealership about 2 hours from her home - about a year ago. At the time she bought it I recall thinking the back tires looked great and the fronts looked more worn but still within limits. I am sure the tires on the car or the original tires that came on it when manufactured as the car only had 14,000 miles when she bought it.

In one year she's only put 6000 miles on the car it's basically at 20,000.

She recently took the car to the dealer near her house to change the oil and the first thing they did was give her a bill and claims she needs new front tires - they documented that the tires have one on evenly and the outer edges are cupped.

I took a look at her tires the backs still look fine the front tires however have indeed cupped. Making me think when they sold her the car the alignment was probably off and it's wearing unevenly. My mom is 72... she's put very little mileage on the car and she's obviously not tracking the thing...

Her car has the M sport package with staggered wheels so she cannot rotate the tires front to back.

Her car has the original equipment wheels which are Bridgestone Turanza run flats they're quite expensive tires for what they area.

I know in general something like tires are considered wear and tear and the dealership is not going to want to honor a claim but I wondered given such low mileage she put on it and given the way the tires appear to have one unevenly if you think the local dealer if she press them might submit a claim under the warranty? Or would BMW laugh their heads off and say no way their tires??
One thing you don't mention is the year of the car. Not that it matters in this case, but maintaining proper alignment is the owner's responsibility. IMHO, the only way a seller would honor a tire-wear problem is if they did an alignment with the tire purchase. That happened to my Dad years ago; he bought a set of tires and they did an alignment. They drove around 700 miles to our house in SLC and the toe was out so much that the outer edges of the front tires were severely worn. When they got back home he took the car back to the seller (I think it was Pep Boys or Sears) and they put on two new tires and did a proper, CORRECT alignment.

All this to say your Mom is going to need two new Turanza tires (try COSTCO). The tire concern should have been mentioned at the time of purchase, not a year later.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

You can go to them and try but as stated above, not likely.
You could also do an off rim side to side rotation to prolong these tires.
Also, either way it needs an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
One thing you don't mention is the year of the car. Not that it matters in this case, but maintaining proper alignment is the owner's responsibility. IMHO, the only way a seller would honor a tire-wear problem is if they did an alignment with the tire purchase. That happened to my Dad years ago; he bought a set of tires and they did an alignment. They drove around 700 miles to our house in SLC and the toe was out so much that the outer edges of the front tires were severely worn. When they got back home he took the car back to the seller (I think it was Pep Boys or Sears) and they put on two new tires and did a proper, CORRECT alignment.

All this to say your Mom is going to need two new Turanza tires (try COSTCO). The tire concern should have been mentioned at the time of purchase, not a year later.
This!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 10:54 PM   #5
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post

This!
Thx guys! I was pretty much convinced that there's no way they were going to honor it but my mom was asking me questions and I kind of thought I would get a feel from what others on the forums were thinking.

I agree she probably should've said something when she bought the car not 6000 miles later the car is a 2016.

My guess is that they sold the car with the original tires the front were wearing out but we're good enough to sell on the car in hindsight she should've demanded new tires upfront when she bought it and then it wouldn't be an issue.

On a positive note she totally loves the car and even though if it were me I would probably slap on some kind of non-runflat high-performance tires she loves the way it drives and doesn't wanna change the thing so I just grab her a new set of fronts
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

You really should get it aligned also.
Appreciate 0