2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding finally upgrading hifi system. question on amp/dsp tho?

05-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

finally upgrading hifi system. question on amp/dsp tho?

Hey guys! Finally gonna start working on my audio system. I have the hifi 676. Found a great deal on the Gladen Alpha one which include the mids, tweets and underseat subwoofers. Now I'm focusing on which DSP amp to go with and the two that I'm trying to decide on is the Mosconi Gladen One 130.4 DSP 4-Channel Amplifier and the Match UP 7BMW Amplifier.

The Match is a straight up plug n play whereas and if I'm wrong the Masconi is not from what I read. Maybe theres a simpler way of hooking this up but from the research I did the Mosconi uses a wire loom that needs to be connected from the head unit than needs to be run all the way back to the OEM amp? Seems like a lot of work. Unless theres a newer harness for the Mosconi that I'm not aware of?

I appreciate any feedback or maybe other amps I could run with? Oh, my other concern is the only adjustments I have on my 6" cic is treble, bass and fader. Also debating on whether I really need an amp or not and just run the Gladens?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

If you get DSP amp, you do not need to adjust in headunit. All functionality is available in DSP. I'm using Match UP 7BMW and installation is less than 20 mins. Easy to tune too.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
If you get DSP amp, you do not need to adjust in headunit. All functionality is available in DSP. I'm using Match UP 7BMW and installation is less than 20 mins. Easy to tune too.
Yeah, I saw videos on how easy the installation was for the Match. Did the connection come with the amp that connects to the labtop included or was that separate? Did you find yourself making alot of adjustments or just minor?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:31 AM   #4
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

You need a mini usb cable to laptop. I forgot if it's included but you can easily get the cable. Adjustment wise, there's lot of parameters you can play around if you have a calibrated mic. Normally I tune using REW to set the base line reference level. Then I'll make minor adjustment based on the music I normally listen to. For example, if you feel the bass is a bit lacking, you can easily set a shelf filter from 100hz and below +3db. This would boost the bass. Always leave the EQ filter adjustment first and last column empty for shelf filter adjustment for bass and treble.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2020, 02:33 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You need a mini usb cable to laptop. I forgot if it's included but you can easily get the cable. Adjustment wise, there's lot of parameters you can play around if you have a calibrated mic. Normally I tune using REW to set the base line reference level. Then I'll make minor adjustment based on the music I normally listen to. For example, if you feel the bass is a bit lacking, you can easily set a shelf filter from 100hz and below +3db. This would boost the bass. Always leave the EQ filter adjustment first and last column empty for shelf filter adjustment for bass and treble.
What do you think about the Mosconi.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:40 AM   #6
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry but I don't have any experience with Mosconi product.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2020, 09:48 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry but I don't have any experience with Mosconi product.
quick question since you're now familiar with the DSP software. i have the MatchupBMW7 ordered and i also like you saw on my other post a RF 12" sealed enclosure with built in 300 watt amp. is it possible to set the underseat subs as high or mids and leave all the low levels for the true sub in the trunk? or will i need to adjust accordingly and still leave the underseats as subs but turning them down a bit? wondering if there will be any issues trying to tune these?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #8
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes. You can set the crossover at any freq plus individual level for each speakers. I cross the subwoofer and underseat sub @ 70hz LR4, underseat sub to 4" mid + tweeter @ 160hz LR4. The underseat sub will mostly play mid bass leaving the low bass rumble duty for trunk sub. Music is really punchy for EDM. You can feel the thump for each drum beat.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. You can set the crossover at any freq plus individual level for each speakers. I cross the subwoofer and underseat sub @ 70hz LR4, underseat sub to 4" mid + tweeter @ 160hz LR4. The underseat sub will mostly play mid bass leaving the low bass rumble duty for trunk sub. Music is really punchy for EDM. You can feel the thump for each drum beat.
This helps tremendously! I'm straight up EDM and Trap music. You mentioned the underseat sub twice tho. Could you clarify so I can understand. .thanks so much!

Also, youbrunning a sub in the trunk if so which one and amp? Interested to see what you did or do you have a build thread? I've seen you comment on the audio thread since last year 2019
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

I mention underseat sub twice because it's bandpass. 70hz and below pass to trunk sub. 160hz and above pass to mid/tweeter. Check out my X3 sound system upgrade. Should be similar to your setup. My F10 I didn't install trunk sub as I do not have folding seat and ski pass.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1559784

PS: Saw your F90 bumper conversion. Looks cool. Make me itchy to swap my m-sport bumper out.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 10:38 AM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I mention underseat sub twice because it's bandpass. 70hz and below pass to trunk sub. 160hz and above pass to mid/tweeter. Check out my X3 sound system upgrade. Should be similar to your setup. My F10 I didn't install trunk sub as I do not have folding seat and ski pass.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1559784

PS: Saw your F90 bumper conversion. Looks cool. Make me itchy to swap my m-sport bumper out.
Thanks for the clarification. In just glad I know it's just a matter of tuning everything to get this to sound really good. Wasn't too sure about the underseat subs setup until i asked you so thanks for that

I'll have to check out that link for the x3 setup.

Love my F90 conversion. Since than I know at least 5 other guys who have done theirs
Appreciate 0