2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bavsound Revenant vs. Powered sub in the trunk

05-21-2020, 05:17 PM   #45
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
ok cool! honestly, i'm getting freakin excited!

edit: here's some info i found on the MATCH UP 7BMW

Power Save Mode

The Power Save Mode is incorporated in the basic setup. It allows to significantly reduce the power consumption of the UP 7BMW and potentially connected amplifiers once there’s no input signal present for more than 60 seconds. Please note that in many up-to-date cars with “CAN” or any other internal bus structures it may happen that the radio remains “invisibly” turned on for up to 45 min. even after locking and leaving the car! Once the “Power Save Mode“ is active the remote output and therefore the connected amplifiers will be turned off. The MATCH UP 7BMW will reactivate the remote output within a second if a music signal is applied.

so this now lets me know i don't have to run a remote wire for the RF sub as the signal will be activated through the RCA output and it's nice to know it'll shut the RF amp off when the car is off
Hurry up and get that stuff delivered - I want a review!

I think this sub is going to pay for itself in gas savings...I'm enjoying driving like a normal person listening to music, instead of just redlining through gears for fun every time
      05-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #46
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:
ordered an 8 gauge amp kit with 40amp fuse. looks like RF recommended 8 gauge is fine over a 4 gauge kit. lol pretty wasteful since i won't use the RCA's, remote wire and only a few feet of the power and ground lol!

8 gauge is fine for 40amp. But watch out there are 2 types of cable, CCA and OFC. One is pure copper another is copper clad aluminium. The best is getting OFC which would be more expensive but better in conductivity. Some people running 1000w amp have problem with very hot CCA cable. Try search for recommended wire gauge for the wattage needed.
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #47
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Hurry up and get that stuff delivered - I want a review!

I think this sub is going to pay for itself in gas savings...I'm enjoying driving like a normal person listening to music, instead of just redlining through gears for fun every time
haha i'm trying! the wifey just called and said the sub just showed up but i'm at work right now. ordered the 3.5mm jack to RCA that connects the RF to the MATCHUP7BMW amp

i'm a music guy even tho lately i've just been enjoying the the new exhaust note i'm getting from the VRSF catless DP and the TurboSmart BOV but i'm hoping this new audio systems turns out to be what i'm hoping it to be

did you have to play around with the sub placement? the 3.5mm jack to RCA i ended up ordering a 6' length just so i have the ability to face the sub forward or backward depending on how it sounds. i'm wondering how much of a difference with the ski port open or closed?

placing my order on the MATCHUP7BMW tomorrow as i scored a deal for $799 i think i have everything covered except all my cars i dyno matted them so i'm wondering if i should go ahead and do the BMW too?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:04 PM   #48
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
8 gauge is fine for 40amp. But watch out there are 2 types of cable, CCA and OFC. One is pure copper another is copper clad aluminium. The best is getting OFC which would be more expensive but better in conductivity. Some people running 1000w amp have problem with very hot CCA cable. Try search for recommended wire gauge for the wattage needed.
the kit i ordered is CCA. i'm guessing this should be fine since i'm only pushing 300 watts with the RF sub. Per manufacturer the 8 gauge was recommended for this amp/sub
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #49
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
haha i'm trying! the wifey just called and said the sub just showed up but i'm at work right now. ordered the 3.5mm jack to RCA that connects the RF to the MATCHUP7BMW amp

i'm a music guy even tho lately i've just been enjoying the the new exhaust note i'm getting from the VRSF catless DP and the TurboSmart BOV but i'm hoping this new audio systems turns out to be what i'm hoping it to be

did you have to play around with the sub placement? the 3.5mm jack to RCA i ended up ordering a 6' length just so i have the ability to face the sub forward or backward depending on how it sounds. i'm wondering how much of a difference with the ski port open or closed?

placing my order on the MATCHUP7BMW tomorrow as i scored a deal for $799 i think i have everything covered except all my cars i dyno matted them so i'm wondering if i should go ahead and do the BMW too?
I haven't shifted placement, I like it were it is for the sake of convenience and it's not like I need it louder. Opening the ski port definitely makes for a...fuller?...sound, more vibration you can see in the rearview mirror, etc.

I bought rubber washers and put them behind my license plate screws and that fixed the license plate rattle, the trunk rattles some if it's really blasting but even then it's not awful so far. I'd do the "wait and see" approach before buying a bunch of dyno mat
      05-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #50
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't shifted placement, I like it were it is for the sake of convenience and it's not like I need it louder. Opening the ski port definitely makes for a...fuller?...sound, more vibration you can see in the rearview mirror, etc.

I bought rubber washers and put them behind my license plate screws and that fixed the license plate rattle, the trunk rattles some if it's really blasting but even then it's not awful so far. I'd do the "wait and see" approach before buying a bunch of dyno mat
this sub box is a beauty. i'm glad it's not carpet like most boxes. this looks to be well made and almost passes off as OEM

i was pretty sure when i took my trunk lid apart the license plate assembly looks like would be a good baby rattle once the system was in place. the rubber washers sounds like a good idea. i maybe use double sided tape also just to hold the license plate in place as well. if it still rattles i will dyno matte the whole trunk lid. cause nothing more annoying than sitting at a light and the people next to you is laughing cause your trunk is vibrating like a bat out of hell
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      05-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #51
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Great pics, it's perty for sure.

I'm noticing more trunk rattle now. I think dynomat will have to happen at some point.
      05-26-2020, 10:27 PM   #52
SikhBMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw x5 xdrive40e

Bavsound ghost subs and 1300watt bav amp sounds so freaking amazing. I still want a 12inch woofers
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #53
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikhBMW View Post
Bavsound ghost subs and 1300watt bav amp sounds so freaking amazing. I still want a 12inch woofers
Nice. But you won't get the same feeling with those 8's under the seat compared to a 12" sub I would definitely upgrade if you have the chance

I'm showing the MatchUp 7BMW still in transit as well as the Speaker harness for the components and the subs. Just received the 3.5mm jack to RCA. Slowly but surely parts are showing up
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 05:58 AM   #54
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Matchup 7BMW
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      05-30-2020, 05:59 AM   #55
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

all ready to go!

here's something i wanted to share in case anyone was interested or if they were looking into upgrading their system. this auto remote feature is pretty sweet as before with the addition of any amps you would have to find a acc source that would remote turn your amp on when the car is turned on. the Matchup7BMW amp sends a signal through the LINE OUT which if hooked up with a RCA to 3.5mm jack activates the RF amp to turn on when plugged into the REMOTE INPUT as pictured. than when the car is turned off the RF than doesn't detect the signal anymore which than turns the RF amp off. this auto detect is a very nice feature as it eliminates me from having to tap into the wiring harness looking for the acc remote wire. I ordered a new 3.5mm cable to have just one RCA out vs having two with one dangling
Appreciate 2
      12-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #56
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Update here...love the RF powered sub, now decided to update the amp.

Was going to get the Match Up 7bmw but then I saw that Bavsound has the next generation revenant "revenant pro" coming out in March. Haven't seen anyone mentioned it around here. Seems like a nice upgrade to the Match and I pre ordered it.

At $1k I figure it's worth ~$200 more than Match bc it's more powerful and comes already tuned by Bavsound...

SPECIFICATIONS:
OUTPUT POWER RMS/MAX
TOTAL: 800 / 1600 Watts (8 x 100 Watts @ 2 Ohms RMS)

DSP PROCESSING POWER
295 MHz (1.2 billion MAC operations/second)

FREQUENCY RESPONSE
2Hz - 23.5kHz

DSP RESOLUTION
Fixed Point Native 32-Bits

S/N RATIO
S/N Ratio 1V 1:1 - 107.1dB • S/N 4V 1:1 - 108.dB
      12-31-2020, 03:56 AM   #57
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting. Just not sure how to integrate with existing HK amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #58
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Was going to get the Match Up 7bmw but then I saw that Bavsound has the next generation revenant "revenant pro" coming out in March. Haven't seen anyone mentioned it around here. Seems like a nice upgrade to the Match and I pre ordered it.

At $1k I figure it's worth ~$200 more than Match bc it's more powerful and comes already tuned by Bavsound...

SPECIFICATIONS:
OUTPUT POWER RMS/MAX

DSP PROCESSING POWER

FREQUENCY RESPONSE
2Hz - 23.5kHz

DSP RESOLUTION

S/N RATIO
do you have hifi or HK?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 05:55 PM   #59
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

SPECIFICATIONS:
OUTPUT POWER RMS/MAX

DSP PROCESSING POWER

FREQUENCY RESPONSE
2Hz - 23.5kHz

DSP RESOLUTION

S/N RATIO
do you have hifi or HK?
I have hifi/676

I dont know details about HK except this was also in the email with specs from bavsound:

"The NEW Bavsound Revenant PRO is the world's first plug-n-play amplifier to work with BMW premium audio systems. Including: Harman Kardon, Logic7, and DSP premium audio systems."
      12-31-2020, 07:00 PM   #60
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have hifi/676

I dont know details about HK except this was also in the email with specs from bavsound:

"The NEW Bavsound Revenant PRO is the world's first plug-n-play amplifier to work with BMW premium audio systems. Including: Harman Kardon, Logic7, and DSP premium audio systems."
is this gonna allow you to hookup with a labtop and set parameters to your liking or not?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 07:15 PM   #61
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
is this gonna allow you to hookup with a labtop and set parameters to your liking or not?
Bavsound normally will come with pre-tuned profile and they locked it with a password. If you go for custom speakers, I would get Match amp. Note that the new amp is 100w/ch for 8 channels. For UP7BMW, it's 5 channels 60w + 2 channels 160W. UP7BMW is a better fit for HIFI system due to higher wattage for underseat sub.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2020, 10:08 PM   #62
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bavsound normally will come with pre-tuned profile and they locked it with a password. If you go for custom speakers, I would get Match amp. Note that the new amp is 100w/ch for 8 channels. For UP7BMW, it's 5 channels 60w + 2 channels 160W. UP7BMW is a better fit for HIFI system due to higher wattage for underseat sub.
They said there's no custom tuning - it just comes with one tune for stock speakers and one tune for their stage 1 speakers. Interesting that they explained that their "award-winning" tuner is so good he essentially optimizes the tune for the different chassis so they feel there's no reason you'd want to custom-tune it - ie, the tune isn't subjective for each customer and there's an objectively perfect universal tune to be had :

Since I have the sub in the trunk, it seems like Revenant Pro is a better fit for me than Match because the main goal of the amp is extra power to my speakers - less important are the under seat subs - let me know if I'm thinking about that wrong?
      01-01-2021, 03:34 AM   #63
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Personally I feel the 60w to 100w is not much. For every extra 3db loudness, you need to double your power. Depends on your speakers sensitivity and you can calculate the wattage you need. So far I don't even push more than 30w per speakers and it's very loud in my sound system. My car speakers is rated at 87db/w @ 4 ohm. I also have a 500w subwoofer in the trunk. My goal is to ensure my overall system will be able to hit peak 100db for speakers and 110db for subs with very low distortion.

87db - 1w
90db - 2w
93db - 4w
96db - 8w
99db - 16w
102db - 32w
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #64
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i would double check that because you don't want to have the lower signals going to the underseat subs since you have the sub in the rear. i'm sure the "award-winning" tuner was basing this on a factory system with no sub in the trunk. that's why i pulled the trigger on the Match because of the input pierreye gave me when i was doing my research. i have my underseats set as mid bass speakers vs subs or else it sounds muddy. that's why you need to be able to hook up a lab top and set all your parameters for your speakers.

this is where i can hook up my labtop
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 11:30 PM   #65
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Personally I feel the 60w to 100w is not much. For every extra 3db loudness, you need to double your power. Depends on your speakers sensitivity and you can calculate the wattage you need. So far I don't even push more than 30w per speakers and it's very loud in my sound system. My car speakers is rated at 87db/w @ 4 ohm. I also have a 500w subwoofer in the trunk. My goal is to ensure my overall system will be able to hit peak 100db for speakers and 110db for subs with very low distortion.

87db - 1w
90db - 2w
93db - 4w
96db - 8w
99db - 16w
102db - 32w
Good point. I was thinking about wattage as mostly linear, which is obviously wrong. But, maybe also wrong, I wasn't looking at the wattage purely for volume but more as an indicator clarity bc of the amount of singal hitting the speaker
      01-01-2021, 11:37 PM   #66
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i would double check that because you don't want to have the lower signals going to the underseat subs since you have the sub in the rear. i'm sure the "award-winning" tuner was basing this on a factory system with no sub in the trunk. that's why i pulled the trigger on the Match because of the input pierreye gave me when i was doing my research. i have my underseats set as mid bass speakers vs subs or else it sounds muddy. that's why you need to be able to hook up a lab top and set all your parameters for your speakers.

this is where i can hook up my labtop
[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Interesting you mention how a separate sub should affect the amp tune. I remember you writing about this in your thread and I asked the guy on the phone but his response didn't sound very thoughtful, more of a shrug and "well, our tune is the best" kind of answer. I'm going to ask them about it again, been getting email responses from someone else who seems more helpful so far.

I just reread what you wrote too. If I understand your install timeline, the muddiness was when you initially plugged in the un-tuned Match amp and before your RF was hooked up. Giving Bavsound the benefit of the doubt for arguments sake, if the Revenant is tuned properly, how would adding the sub in the trunk make the underseat subs muddy? If anything I figure they'd be overwhelmed by the RF (ie not as noticeable) and it's just a lost oppty to focus them on the mids instead...in other words, if the cabin speakers are all tuned properly - including an appropriate level of mid - then shouldn't adding the RF just add more powerful bass while everything else still sounds just as good?