2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Gas Cap Broken

05-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
BryanJGold
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 convertible 2000 e39 m

Gas Cap Broken

Recently put a kicker L7 in my trunk. Its a strong sub so the gas cap keeps popping out. Then last night it wont go back it. I had a friend that had the same problem. We both don't know how to resolve it. Any Suggestions??
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Glock 32
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Yes, I fixed mine with a paper clip. Remove the little boot and you will see how it comes out from there... push in tabs (that you cant see until you remove the little boot) while pullin out. You can probably order that assembly, but take IT appart and replace the broken metal piece with a paperclip fashioned to the same shape.

Use the thicker paperclip and it will be stronger than before.

Next, you'll should find a way to overide the latch so it latches fully with ign. on there is a module that someone came up with (basically a timed relay). I think that is on another forum, but I can provide details or a link later. I'll probably make something out of a couple of relays and a capacitor for timing.

Anyway, as far as that little switch, the paperclip works great in place of the piece that breaks (you should see how to fix it once you get it out and apart). The paperclip is not as likely to snap since it is not hardened steel like the piece you will replace.
Appreciate 0