2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum warranty questions

10-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
750lxi
Rep
Drives: 750Li

warranty questions

on a euro delivery vehicle, does the warranty start from delivery in europe or re-delivery in the states? if in europe, is there any way to get an extension due to the time it took to get to the states?

if a warranty ends on a saturday, does it extend to the following monday?

if a warranty ends while in for service at a dealer, are repairs still covered and its sufficient the warranty was in effect when the vehicle checked-in for service?

if a repair is done under warranty, is there some type of other coverage that would cover the repair – if the same thing goes wrong – for a certain amount of time thereafter, even if the warranty is expired (12, 18 or 24 months after repair)?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

That's a lot of questions... but here are a few answers that I'm not sure are 100% accurate, but probably close:

1. I suspect your warranty begins the minute you pick up your car in Europe. European Delivery is still delivery - so the clock starts ticking the minute you take delivery and drive off.

2. If the warranty ends on a Saturday, it ended on a Saturday. Period. I suspect your dealer, in combination with BMW NA, have some ability to show flexibility if you had, let's say, reported a problem and made a service appointment on Friday but couldn't get it there until Monday. I've heard of customers still receiving warranty coverage under circumstances like this - but it's at the discretion of the dealer and BMW.

3. If your car is in for service, and the warranty expires while it's there, I would imagine you'd receive warranty coverage. You can't control how long a repair takes - so long as you delivered the car for service while it was under warranty, I would imagine you'd get it covered.

4. Repairs usually have a warranty of their own. Parts and labor will likely differ - 12 months on parts, 30 - 60 days on labor - wild guesses there as it's been a while since I've had a BMW repair. Ask your service manager. Either way, work will typically come with its own warranty (however limited).
Appreciate 0