2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum HID Fogs Lamps Stopped Working After Visit to the Dealer

10-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

HID Fogs Lamps Stopped Working After Visit to the Dealer

Took my car in for the VANOS recall and when I got my car back I had a fog light malfunction warning light on my dash. Prior to this trip to the dealer, I would briefly get a fog light malfunction when I initially turned my fog lights on as the drivers side would flicker for 3 or 4 seconds before firing up properly. At that point the warning light would go out and I was good to go. Was a bit annoying, but not that big of a deal.

After my visit, the malfunction light was staying on all the time, even when my headlights and fog lamps were off. At first I thought some wiring must have been tampered with (dealers hate anything aftermarket), but I took everything out today and all the wiring and ballasts were intact. After some swapping the components piece by piece, I discovered that all of the components work 100%, but my drivers side won't fire up at all now. Even when I swap the ballasts and bulb with the passenger side, it still won't work. The passenger side fires up immediately, no flickering at all. When I put the stock bulb back in on the drivers side, it fires right up.

So I am thinking that the dealer did some sort of update and now the car is able to detect the HID system and is causing a fault. Anyone else experience this? For now I have taken the HID's out and am running stock bulbs again.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
Nison
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 40iX

i used a set of canbus error code eliminator from ddm tuning, never flicker since then
Appreciate 0