2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N55 vavletronic issue

09-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
TZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive, 2014 435i CO

N55 vavletronic issue

Friend's 2011 X5 E70, 60000 miles, has the following issue. Any suggestion?

"
Now here is the full story of my repair so far. Hope no repair in future.

At the beginning I notice a terrible clicking/ binding noise coming from the engine bay when I lock/unlock the car. Then, occasionally, the engine has hot start problems. It cranks, starts, rough idle and then stalled. No problem with cold start and driving and there is no CEL, but when I pull to the car to the dealer, it shows fault code P1030, which means the Valvetronic Eccentric Shaft Motor has a problem.

First repair: I got the eccentric motor replaced at an indie shop, the mechanic said he feels the eccentric shaft is ok when he adjusting manually. After the replacement, the relearn process passed, there is no rapid clicking noise, driving fine, but sometimes a slightly rough idle.

Second repair: But just after two weeks, the CEL is on and go to limbo mode sometimes. The Fault Code is 002DCE Valvetronic system: no adjustment possible. The CEL light is on and off. When the mechanic runs the relearn process, it failed. After that, the car goes to limp mode every time it starts. The test plan for the motor passed, but the test plan for the eccentric shaft always fails at the second step. He also updates the DME firmware to the latest version, but the eccentric shaft test plan still fails at the second step. The mechanic then orders the eccentric shaft and bearing, and replace them.

Third repair: Just after the assembling and starting the car, the car went to the limp mode immediately saying the exhaust camshaft is off timing. He has to open the valve cover again and did the camshaft timing. After this, the car drives fine, but sometimes a slightly rough idle which is very similar after the first repair. But after a short drive, the CEL is on. The faults code is “28A0: throttle valve angle – Intake manifold absolute comparison: pressure too high”. He checked all vacuum lines, pressure switches, and MAF sensors. The smoke test passed too. Nothing is wrong. The CEL light is always on after erasing it and doing a test drive. We are really frustrated and decide to accept the fact.

But when I pick up the car after a short test drive, the CEL is off magically! I drove the car for several trips locally and highway for two days, the CEL is still off. Based on your experience, can you make a guess about what happens for the "28A0" fault code?
"

Service Manual: www.newtis.info
Part: http://www.realoem.com
Appreciate 0