2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Xhd trans tune?

02-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #221
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

So what platform do you use to tune. I know you have worked with dme tuning but when I looked into them they only do canned tune. Your pretty much the man with n63 so i was hoping you have done n63tu or would be interested in trying a 700 hp build cause afaik the tu turbos are close to alpina or n63 stage 1 turbos.
Also one thing that's confusing is bmw literature states the tu was upgraded to the n20 sensors but meanwhile I see talk of changing the sensor to 3.5 bar for over 21 psi and or previously people needed jb4 with back. I'll start new thread if you tell me that you have experience or ideas for a 700hp street build.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #222
Wht550jersey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
mine is a 2011 works like a charm
Did you use this trans tune on ur 2011 and it has launch control option ?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:56 AM   #223
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wht550jersey View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I never tried it i do have it enabled , need to find the activation guide.
      03-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #224
Wht550jersey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
How do you like the tune so far ? I’m still waiting for better weather to throw ur intakes on
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:35 PM   #225
Rob09msport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335 msport

Quote:
Sport plus shifter to left and kickdown switch while brake firmly applied after 6 miles of driving and operating temp reached
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #226
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Quote:
How do you like the tune so far ? I’m still waiting for better weather to throw ur intakes on
love it, make the car shift like a supercar similar to the 599GTB i drove once
      03-06-2020, 06:25 AM   #227
Wht550jersey
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
love it, make the car shift like a supercar similar to the 599GTB i drove once
Nice , iOS there saying will be out end of March , just need some time to get everything put on .
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 02:17 AM   #228
MOBF10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

A lot of posts here and too much for me to read all through. Can anyone let me know if this is compatible with MHD OTS maps or even a custom tuned map?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:59 AM   #229
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBF10 View Post
A lot of posts here and too much for me to read all through. Can anyone let me know if this is compatible with MHD OTS maps or even a custom tuned map?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:47 AM   #230
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBF10 View Post
I have both.

I see you already have MHD. You'll notice when you flash a map and it asks you about the transmission, one of the options says "xHP".
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #231
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

So 550i (xi) guys, you would say this is definitely something to get? I'm currently stock and was wondering if you've noticed any important changes besides the obvious faster shifts. Does this allow for more power to the wheels due to increased torque limiter?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #232
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Question for you guys - when DSC is OFF and you then switch to SPORT mode, the DSC OFF light goes away. Does traction control stay off, or no?

Maybe it's just placebo, but car feels peppier in sport mode but I don't use it anymore bc I assume traction control gets turned off. XHP listed an update at some point that traction stays off when switching modes, but I'm skeptical bc the DSC OFF light goes off...
      09-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #233
itzjoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Question for you guys - when DSC is OFF and you then switch to SPORT mode, the DSC OFF light goes away. Does traction control stay off, or no?

Maybe it's just placebo, but car feels peppier in sport mode but I don't use it anymore bc I assume traction control gets turned off. XHP listed an update at some point that traction stays off when switching modes, but I'm skeptical bc the DSC OFF light goes off...
Sport mode: DSC ON (Traction Control), DTC OFF
Sport+ mode: DSC OFF, DTC ON (Traction control allows for some wheel slip)

I find that DTC is intervening too much, still cutting power.

Hold traction control button down for ~5 sec turns off DSC and DTC. You vehicle will be in Comfort mode which gives you more control of throttle.

Launch control is only active in Sport+ mode with shifter to S. Is xHP able to activate launch control with DTC and DSC fully off?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #234
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzjoker View Post
Sport mode: DSC ON (Traction Control), DTC OFF
Sport+ mode: DSC OFF, DTC ON (Traction control allows for some wheel slip)

I find that DTC is intervening too much, still cutting power.

Hold traction control button down for ~5 sec turns off DSC and DTC. You vehicle will be in Comfort mode which gives you more control of throttle.

Launch control is only active in Sport+ mode with shifter to S. Is xHP able to activate launch control with DTC and DSC fully off?
Thanks for digging this up!

To clarify my question:

I only have Sport, not Sport+. When I am in Sport and then hold traction control button down for ~5sec it appears to move it out of Sport mode and into Comfort (dash no longer says "Sport")

However XHP features for Stage 2 and higher lists

"Transmission keeps the current set mode when DSC is turned off."

So I'm trying to figure out if XHP is actually keeping my Sport settings on in the background even though the car looks like it's not in Sport.
      09-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #235
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep

OK, when in doubt go to the source...xhp emailed back and said:

"When you put your car in DSC OFF, the transmission stays the same, but steering etc is softer, as we do not affect steering, chassis etc."

Which makes sense, bc I could tell the steering got soft again. But guess it really does keep the tranny in Sport...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #236
sumbeam
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: 535i F11

Garage List
Hello.

Does anybody know if the shifting time is faster in Sport+ than in Sport mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:45 PM   #237
labenzm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbeam View Post
Hello.

Feels like it to me...i would say considerable
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #238
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Sport+ is almost too fast. Isn’t very smooth. I wish Comfort shift speed could be used on Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #239
$howtime456
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

you have nannies in sport+ that will reduce power
Precision 6266 On Steroids
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #240
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbeam View Post
Hello.

If you have a non-factory exhaust you can hear the different shift programs in the exhaust sound. I retrofitted a DEC switch to my 535i so now I can update xHP to the latest. I'm running stage 3 v3.3. It solved a number of problems with some manual shifts and I'm very happy.

In sport+ pretty much every shift is the most aggressive mode. Even in D.

Remember you have a multi-axis matrix which feeds into which shift maps are selected: D vs. S vs. M on the shifter, and COMFORT vs SPORT vs SPORT+ (vs ECOPRO in some cases) on the drive mode selector.

Really, the answer isn't as simple as "is Sport+ faster". Sometimes it uses the fastest shift mode in D/COMFORT depending on what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 12:35 AM   #241
dzz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi, MHD Stage 2+

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Really, the answer isn't as simple as "is Sport+ faster". Sometimes it uses the fastest shift mode in D/COMFORT depending on what's going on.
From https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/ho..._logic_of_8hp/ "Or you now can access the fastest shifts possible in S-Mode with full auto-operation..." so Sport (and probably Sport +) mode has the fastest shifting.

In my experience Sport and Sport + mode shift the same (fast) but when flashed to stage 3 (or 4) Sport + mode will keep the rpm in the range for max torque: "The Stage 3 file builds on top of that, but makes S combined with the Sport+ setting ready for roll-racing and the racetrack. As soon as you engage this mode, the trans will keep your RPMs above 4000 and won't upshift below 6500 RPM. This is especially useful in situation where you want maximum acceleration withouth having to think of the right gear by yourself. This mode can also be used on the Race-Track. It will shift just like a race-driver with a stick would do it. Hold gears all the time til the upper rpm range and aggressivly blip down by itself when braking into corners."
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #242
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzz View Post
From https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/ho..._logic_of_8hp/ "Or you now can access the fastest shifts possible in S-Mode with full auto-operation..." so Sport (and probably Sport +) mode has the fastest shifting.

In my experience Sport and Sport + mode shift the same (fast) but when flashed to stage 3 (or 4) Sport + mode will keep the rpm in the range for max torque: "The Stage 3 file builds on top of that, but makes S combined with the Sport+ setting ready for roll-racing and the racetrack. As soon as you engage this mode, the trans will keep your RPMs above 4000 and won't upshift below 6500 RPM. This is especially useful in situation where you want maximum acceleration withouth having to think of the right gear by yourself. This mode can also be used on the Race-Track. It will shift just like a race-driver with a stick would do it. Hold gears all the time til the upper rpm range and aggressivly blip down by itself when braking into corners."
Yep, I've read the manual. And I have no interest whatsoever in stage 4 which programs the automatic to drive like you're always on a hot lap at the track.

My F10 has a 205 (non-sport) transmission and did not come with a DEC switch (no COMFORT/SPORT/SPORT+ at all). Most of my xHP observations are based on that starting car combined with an M Performance Exhaust where I can actually hear the different shift programs.

Shift point: the RPM at which the TCU decides to shift up or down to the next gear

Shift program: the programming used to perform the shift, regardless of what RPM or even manual vs automatic

The biggest thing xHP did for me (with 205 transmission and no DEC switch) was unlock shift programs. I have personally observed 4 shift programs ranging from slow-and-sloppy to DCT-like "braaap!" shifts. From the factory my F10 only ever used the first two. xHP unlocked all four. With the factory exhaust installed it's almost impossible to separate them.

Without a DEC switch, xHP only uses the D/S/M selection on the shifter to determine how aggressive to be with both shift points and shift programs. I think they did that pretty successfully BUT almost no one has F-chassis cars without a DEC switch. Their support was patchy, they kept forgetting about it, and there were bugs.

I retrofitted a DEC switch this summer. Now I can update to the latest xHP code and fix all the bugs. I must report that the matrix combination of NORMAL/SPORT/SPORT+ combined with D/S/M is too many options. Now I'm finding that SPORT/S or M isn't a sporty as I want but SPORT+/S or M is more than I was looking for etc... Oh well - I'm not removing the switch.

My permanent observations: from the FACTORY D/COMFORT was annoying. Always in way too high a gear and difficult to coax out of it to get a little acceleration for a pass or merge onto the highway. I had to flip to S all the time or do this 1" throttle jab to get it to kick down and then accelerate at the pace I wanted to before it upshifted again. This car is my first automatic and I was always fighting it. S mode held the revs way too high to be useful too. M was functional, but somewhat slow and disconnected.

With xHP: D/COMFORT was a lot nicer to drive. It doesn't go all the way to top gear at city speeds, when I squeeze the throttle a bit it comes down a gear or two right away and shifts are still silky smooth. S mode actually holds gears more like I do when driving stick or M mode and is much better tuned. The shift programs are more aggressive than factory if you're getting into the throttle, including "braap!" shifts when you're accelerating more briskly. Using M mode was almost like a DCT - a MUCH more engaging driving experience for a guy who wishes he still had 6MT. I found if you were light on the throttle you got a quick shift with a little gap in exhaust noise just like a perfect manual shift. If you were deeper in the throttle you got the DCT brap and you were almost instantly in the next gear with a little lurch from the drivetrain.

I never got xHP to be "faster". I got xHP to make a soft, lazy car more engaging like option 704 cars with MT I owned in the past. Mission accomplished.
Appreciate 1