2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs Touch up paint - availability?

01-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Touch up paint - availability?

Anyone having a problem getting touch up paint for the F10?

My car (actually all F10's) are still not in the dealer service system (see: can't find tires by model/VIN and now can't find touch up paint by same system).
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I have yet to see touch up paint ever deployed my a car owner successfully. If anyone goes near my car with some touch up paint I will get violent. Not sure where you live, but I assume the U.S. and anything close will work as good as the real color, imo.
      01-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
Anyone having a problem getting touch up paint for the F10?

My car (actually all F10's) are still not in the dealer service system (see: can't find tires by model/VIN and now can't find touch up paint by same system).
What is your color? I got touch up paint for my carbon-black, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #4
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
I have yet to see touch up paint ever deployed my a car owner successfully. If anyone goes near my car with some touch up paint I will get violent. Not sure where you live, but I assume the U.S. and anything close will work as good as the real color, imo.
I mostly agree with this statement, but have had good results on my past two cars.

There is a small nick which most people can't see but is driving me nuts.

I have Sophisto Grey, btw.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
WhiteDogSnores
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i w M-Sport Package

If not touchup paint, then what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
I took delivery on a new '11 F10 w Carbon-Black 2 weeks ago, and I just found a 4" roof scratch behind the sunroof this evening. My first thought was to look into touch-up (although most of the scratch appears to be through the clear-coat and only some of the paint), but your post voices a concern I share - I've seldom seen this done well, and this color seems it won't lend itself well to touchup.

What other options are available to fix this (reasonable options, something short of purchasing a new roof and/or having it repainted)? I can probably get some of the shallow side of the cut buffed out, but that too compromises the surrounding area and may not be worth it overall. It looks awful, and I hate thinking this new car will sport such a war wound this early in its life. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0