2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N63 Timing chain issue or vanos solenoids?

11-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

N63 Timing chain issue or vanos solenoids?

I have owned many BMWs and own three right now. I acquired a one owner N63 with 110k miles back in September, it had some problems I paid pennies for it. The main problem was a DTML light upon start up, reading the codes I saw it had some vanos inlet/outlet codes and valve steams leaking was another issue.

I drove the car home halfway across the country after purchasing it. Besides the smoking and drinking about a 1qt of oil every 600 miles it drove fine. There is light rattling that you hear around 1000-2900 rpm that goes away which I suspect is vanos rattle. My M5 S63TU motor drinks oil 1 qt 500-800 miles.

I am around 115k miles now and the car started dumping coolant. It ended up being the y pipe under the alternator, I also replaced the AUX pump and the coolant lines on top. I also noticed a good amount of oil in the turbo inlets so I ordered the new CCV lines as well.

I was under the assumption the car was maintained properly by the previous owner. After doing recent work it looks like nothing was ever touched besides the alternator which probably died due to all the coolant leaking all over it. Back in 2015 the CCP was performed and sensors, injectors, and a pump was replaced.

Every time I clear the codes and start it up, it idles fine and starts right up with no issues. Second start up... it'll start up fine then few seconds later limp with DTML with vanos code. Even in limp mode it idles fine and drives 100% perfect although not full power is available but for your everyday driving its no problem.

I have driven 5k miles with this DTML on, this car is my commuter/beater it has tons of power even with DTML.

I am just wondering if its even worth to buy the two solenoids to see? From my research it seems that many N63 cars have a timing chain stretch which causes all these vanos codes. If the worst has happened can the car be driven as a beater in this state?

My main reasoning on buying this car was due to the inexpensive cost of a reman engine from BMW, unfortunately it seems those engines are backordered for a while so I am weighing my options.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF10M5 View Post
I have owned many BMWs and own three right now. I acquired a one owner N63 with 110k miles back in September, it had some problems I paid pennies for it. The main problem was a DTML light upon start up, reading the codes I saw it had some vanos inlet/outlet codes and valve steams leaking was another issue.

I drove the car home halfway across the country after purchasing it. Besides the smoking and drinking about a 1qt of oil every 600 miles it drove fine. There is light rattling that you hear around 1000-2900 rpm that goes away which I suspect is vanos rattle. My M5 S63TU motor drinks oil 1 qt 500-800 miles.

I am around 115k miles now and the car started dumping coolant. It ended up being the y pipe under the alternator, I also replaced the AUX pump and the coolant lines on top. I also noticed a good amount of oil in the turbo inlets so I ordered the new CCV lines as well.

I was under the assumption the car was maintained properly by the previous owner. After doing recent work it looks like nothing was ever touched besides the alternator which probably died due to all the coolant leaking all over it. Back in 2015 the CCP was performed and sensors, injectors, and a pump was replaced.

Every time I clear the codes and start it up, it idles fine and starts right up with no issues. Second start up... it'll start up fine then few seconds later limp with DTML with vanos code. Even in limp mode it idles fine and drives 100% perfect although not full power is available but for your everyday driving its no problem.

I have driven 5k miles with this DTML on, this car is my commuter/beater it has tons of power even with DTML.

I am just wondering if its even worth to buy the two solenoids to see? From my research it seems that many N63 cars have a timing chain stretch which causes all these vanos codes. If the worst has happened can the car be driven as a beater in this state?

My main reasoning on buying this car was due to the inexpensive cost of a reman engine from BMW, unfortunately it seems those engines are backordered for a while so I am weighing my options.
I had the same codes when my engine went at around 103k miles. I had knocking around 1800 all the way up the rpm range. Mine ended up being rod/piston related though. I intermittently got the vanos related codes on cold starts for a long period before they actually failed. I would try replacing the respective vanos solenoids whether its the intake or exhaust side of the respective banks (4 solenoids in total, 2 per each bank) and see if it fixes your issue.

Does your dealer do the oil consumption test from the N63 settlement? They may cover a small percentage of the replacement engine.

Last edited by SLVSRFR; 11-10-2018 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Try replacing all 4 solenoids first and see if that cures the issue
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
535_BiTurbo
Captain