2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Strange noise F11 535xDa 2012

12-16-2022, 03:13 AM   #1
Joncka
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535xDa 2012

Strange noise F11 535xDa 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQXGgp0PGXA

The shop failed to identify this noise coming from somewhere between back of engine and middle axle, I would say...

It's only audible when the gas is pressed, not in neutral, not when coasting with gear engaged, so it's something that need a little force to be audible, not a lot, though, simply pressing the pedal a little will force it.
Also audible when reversing.

I don't feel any vibrations in the car, and the sound (which sometimes seem to pulsate) follow the speed, not revs of the engine, but it's much slower than anything that spins while driving (I guess?).

Turning the xDrive off (with xDelete) doesn't affect the sound.

The giubos looks okay, this one has a metal one at the front, and a rubber one in the rear.

I will check the support bearing for the drive shaft aswell, when I remove the heatshields altogether, but just be listening from driver seat, it seems like it's more at the front on the car.
Will also check the pulleys for the belt, seemed a little too easy to pull be hand.

It sometimes also sound a bit "squishy" either like when the water is transferred to the engine when the diesel heater has been active, or like a bushing being squeezed.

What I know is that the bushing for the tranfser box (the one that sits on a crossmember is out. And it's really out. I filmed the transfer case when engaging gear, and pulling with brakes locked, no movement at all, but I don't know, it feels like it would move if that was the case?

I hope I covered everything, just ask if you need more information.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 07:24 AM   #2
HotSpicyChicken90
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Motor mounts?
Appreciate 0