2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media My F10 with 162k miles

08-19-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
JIPortillo
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i xdrive m sport

My F10 with 162k miles

My first BMW ever. 2013 BMW 535 M-Sport in carbon black metallic. I've owned this car for a year now. Bought it off of a BMW sales rep who was looking to upgrade. She was the only owner of the car and was her daily. Loved my Infiniti G25x but always felt like I was missing out on the power compared to the G37, so I sold it and got this.

The high mileage scared me at first (148k at the time) but after doing research and with her expertise of BMW, I learned that the N55 engine was one of the more reliable engines of BMW with proper care and maintenance. She had done all car work at her BMW dealership up to 100k miles then at an indie euro shop there after.

Some maintenance repairs that had been done prior to me owning where:
water pump replacement(@100k)
oil filter gasket replacement(@140k)
Valve cover gasket and spark plugs(@136k)

Since I've owned it I've loved every minute of driving it. Only real issue I've had was a driveshaft malfunction which ended up being the accelerator pedal being faulty so I replaced that. Also, the TPMS was already faulty when I bought it, and have been been putting it off since($500 was my lowest quote for the fix!).

This past year I've been immersing myself in the BMW world and learning more about the car through forums and YouTube videos.
Some things I need to get done and want to work on as well are the following:

1. Was told by the shop that the Guibo is starting to crack so I'll have to replace that soon.

2. Have been looking at transmission fluid kits on FCP Euro since there is no record of flush being done.

3. The front bumper has a ton of rock chips do to the previous owner taking it on long road trips like Chicago and Las Vegas(I live in the upper Midwest). Maybe take it to a body shop and have it repainted. Also replace the front lip since it's plastic and has cracks. Purchase a higher quality one.

4. I want to have the wheels refinished since there are also a lot of curb rashes on them from the previous owner. Maybe powder coated too.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to share a bit of my experience with this car and what it's been like to own a BMW. The car runs great and it's been awesome owning it so far.

Also, if there are recommendations on what I should be looking out for (rod bearing replacement, suspension check, etc) or experiences with high mileage BMWs please share. I'd like to have this car running for as long as I can and take proper care of her!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      08-19-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
I have almost the exact same car, but with only about 110k miles (180k kms). I've had all the same things replaced as yours, as well as rear guibo disc, thermostat housing, and AC condenser (not the pump, which is fine). I also had the tranny flushed for preventative maintenance, but not yet the transfer case.

I had my front bumper resprayed about 25k miles ago, due to both rock chips and going over some railway tracks too quickly while in Luxembourg (yes, in Europe). The impact was so hard on the front that it popped one of the front fender reflectors and bent an aluminum brace, but otherwise the bumper was saved!

I've also had some front suspension work done over the years (worn bushings, joints, etc) and I've twice had to have the front axles replaced, because the boots had torn and grease had leaked out making the axles untrustworthy. In fact, one time, I was getting a clunking from it, so it was definitely time to replace it.

It sounds like you are definitely on the right track for upcoming maintenance. I've had my F10 since new, and it is now almost 10 years old. I intend to keep mine quite a bit longer too.

Good luck! OK, here are a couple obligatory pics.

Name:  IMG_8207.jpeg
Views: 721
Size:  1.09 MB

Name:  IMG_9390.jpeg
Views: 722
Size:  1.16 MB
Appreciate 6
      08-19-2022, 08:43 PM   #3
JIPortillo
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i xdrive m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
I have almost the exact same car, but with only about 110k miles (180k kms). I've had all the same things replaced as yours, as well as rear guibo disc, thermostat housing, and AC condenser (not the pump, which is fine). I also had the tranny flushed for preventative maintenance, but not yet the transfer case.

I had my front bumper resprayed about 25k miles ago, due to both rock chips and going over some railway tracks too quickly while in Luxembourg (yes, in Europe). The impact was so hard on the front that it popped one of the front fender reflectors and bent an aluminum brace, but otherwise the bumper was saved!

I've also had some front suspension work done over the years (worn bushings, joints, etc) and I've twice had to have the front axles replaced, because the boots had torn and grease had leaked out making the axles untrustworthy. In fact, one time, I was getting a clunking from it, so it was definitely time to replace it.

It sounds like you are definitely on the right track for upcoming maintenance. I've had my F10 since new, and it is now almost 10 years old. I intend to keep mine quite a bit longer too.

Attachment 2961641

Attachment 2961642

Love the way the paint shines on your car! That's one thing about the color I like. Dark blue in the day, black at night!

Good thing you where able to save your bumper! I've had close calls with parking too close at the front but nothing major!

I will have to take a look at the suspension. I know there was some work done to the front axles and boots. Will definitely have to check the bushings though. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 10:34 AM   #4
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIPortillo View Post
Love the way the paint shines on your car! That's one thing about the color I like. Dark blue in the day, black at night!
Thanks for the compliment on the paint. I've gotten pretty good at using a power buffer and good paint correction techniques. In fact, if you want to take on a new project, consider doing paint correction on your 10 year old F10 (assuming it has not already been done!) There is a great series of videos by Junkman 2000 including one from 2012 that provides excellent advice on how to correct and maintain your paint. His motto is something like, "Technique trumps product 365/24/7" or something like that, and I do believe he is right! Nevertheless, I also have had great success with Wolfgang products, including their ceramic coating.

Cheers!

Last edited by cdmulders; 08-21-2022 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2022, 11:37 PM   #5
John H.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i XDrive

I'm at 158k. I have nothing bad to say it about my car. It has been dependable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      12-19-2022, 08:07 AM   #6
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Beautiful rides & it's comforting to see them in such good shape!

OP: I'd definitely service your transmission per ZF procedure (dump & fill along with their topping off @ temperature method). LifeGuard fluid too. You'll only get about 1/2 to 2/3 the fluid changed out but that is better than keeping the existing. Don't do any forced flush methods.

"Lifetime Fluid" is such a ridiculous term.

Sounds like you're taking good care of her!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 04:54 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcarbonari View Post
"Lifetime Fluid" is such a ridiculous term.

..!
It's mincing words. It's the lifetime of the fluid, not the transmission.
Appreciate 2
John H.230.00
      12-20-2022, 09:39 AM   #8
ctcarbonari
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
It's mincing words. It's the lifetime of the fluid, not the transmission.
Exactly. It's all relative.

Build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm all night.
Set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm the rest of his life!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 04:25 PM   #9
smalls3378
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post

Attachment 2961641

Attachment 2961642
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s the wheel setup on your car? Width and offsets would be very helpful. New to the BMW world and looking to change wheels to give it a different look. Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2023, 12:00 AM   #10
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalls3378 View Post
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s the wheel setup on your car? Width and offsets would be very helpful. New to the BMW world and looking to change wheels to give it a different look. Thanks for any help.
You can't go wrong by checking out the different wheel sizes, offsets, widths, etc that many have displayed in this forum.
My wheels are as follows:
Front: 19" x 8.5" offset 32mm (ET 32)
Rear: 19" x 9.5 offset 35mm (ET35).
My F10 is lowered on ACS springs.
The wheels (Kelleners) are no longer made, but I picked them over seven years ago after doing a considerable amount of searching.

Good luck finding the right wheels!
Appreciate 2