2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Buying a car as a status symbol....

01-13-2023, 06:43 PM   #1
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Buying a car as a status symbol....

...or for the bmw or whatever badge irritates me.

Especially if they buy only one "status" car and it's an SUV.

IT pisses me off because they're awful drivers anyway. Imagine them on a track. Their brains would collapse and have a stroke if they even attempted to do a lap, and their times would be awful literally 2-3 times slower than an average enthusiast in a 1990 Honda on a warm up lap which is their first lap on the track.

Even worse is if they watched fast and furious couple times and think racing is all about going in a straight line.

And even then they have no clue what paddle shifters are, some don't even know what gears are or which gear they're in, and leave it on comfort mode and auto forever and go the speed limit slowing down the left passing lane.

And you know what's funny? They're so fukn awful they STILL MANAGE to crash not too long after getting the car and BEING AT FAULT because they were too stupid and couldn't properly react fast and correctly, instead they panic and made it worse, sudden quick steering input to the left or right when not necessary, or breaking when they should have steered or accelerated because their brains don't comprehend logical analysis of a situation much less do it quickly and instinctively.

Sorry but these people piss me off when they buy a status car just to pose, and it's bad both ways. If they get a 5 series but the base model and engine, and pose, it's bad becsuse they clearly can't drive at all so better engine and suspension wasn't in their mind, only posing was. And those who get the top model and engine and suspension, STILL suck at driving and leave it on comfort and auto and hold the left passing lane anyway.

I just wish they'd go away, or get a tesla because they're fan boys of a child brained moron.

Rant over
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9698.00
whyzee1251662.00
      01-13-2023, 07:32 PM   #2
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Enjoy your car . . . !
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      01-13-2023, 07:45 PM   #3
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Damn, I actually read that rant!
M2 track weekend starts tomorrow, whohoo!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 07:56 PM   #4
tharkins10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7, M3, Jeep Gladiator

Who cares what motivations anyone has for what car they buy? Good and bad drivers are out there regardless of expensive car or not.

Just do your thing, I don’t stress about this sort of thing but that’s me. You don’t need to be a race car driver to own a BMW and if it makes someone feel good to pose with their car, do your thing.
Appreciate 17
///MPhatic13815.50
NYBulldog1310.00
Bingham276.00
canaus10.50
osteome194.50
Mosaud19983921.50
H2O_Doc511.50
Accentu8702.50
KJ10494.50
GuyOh1067.00
Nkc1600.50
xander_g989.50
MmmmmM22588.50
alex23642857.00
Ormond4.50
      01-13-2023, 08:04 PM   #5
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

So….what was the name of the BMW-driving soccer mom who rear ended you at the stop light?
Appreciate 10
///MPhatic13815.50
Raphie6.00
fmzip1649.50
osteome194.50
Mosaud19983921.50
SpinalTap109.50
alex23642857.00
      01-13-2023, 08:05 PM   #6
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZupra4 View Post
...or for the bmw or whatever badge irritates me.

Especially if they buy only one "status" car and it's an SUV.

IT pisses me off because they're awful drivers anyway. Imagine them on a track. Their brains would collapse and have a stroke if they even attempted to do a lap, and their times would be awful literally 2-3 times slower than an average enthusiast in a 1990 Honda on a warm up lap which is their first lap on the track.

Even worse is if they watched fast and furious couple times and think racing is all about going in a straight line.

And even then they have no clue what paddle shifters are, some don't even know what gears are or which gear they're in, and leave it on comfort mode and auto forever and go the speed limit slowing down the left passing lane.

And you know what's funny? They're so fukn awful they STILL MANAGE to crash not too long after getting the car and BEING AT FAULT because they were too stupid and couldn't properly react fast and correctly, instead they panic and made it worse, sudden quick steering input to the left or right when not necessary, or breaking when they should have steered or accelerated because their brains don't comprehend logical analysis of a situation much less do it quickly and instinctively.

Sorry but these people piss me off when they buy a status car just to pose, and it's bad both ways. If they get a 5 series but the base model and engine, and pose, it's bad becsuse they clearly can't drive at all so better engine and suspension wasn't in their mind, only posing was. And those who get the top model and engine and suspension, STILL suck at driving and leave it on comfort and auto and hold the left passing lane anyway.

I just wish they'd go away, or get a tesla because they're fan boys of a child brained moron.

Rant over
What? Maybe switch to decalf and stop drinking. If what other people do, that has zero impact on you, "pisses" you off, you should re-evaluate your life.

Last edited by Mason Hatcher; 01-13-2023 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 7
///MPhatic13815.50
Patton2502938.00
Bking6082.00
Nkc1600.50
Alonso085250.50
      01-13-2023, 08:13 PM   #7
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

WTF
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13815.50
alex23642857.00
      01-13-2023, 09:43 PM   #8
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Who cares what cars other people drive.
Patton2502938.00
Accentu8702.50
Nkc1600.50
SpinalTap109.50
      01-13-2023, 10:29 PM   #9
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

As much as I love driving the M5, I know most people don't even see it. I could be driving the lowest model, and it'd all be the same. No one cares really... except other enthusiasts. I'm met with a symphony of crickets whenever I park and get out.

But this reality is what always made me laugh about fake badges. The only people that would recognize the significance of a higher model are the same people that are going to notice something isn't right. Regular drivers will see a badge and just go on thinking random things.
Appreciate 3
Hit_Apex2367.50
MarcF10135.00
nicholasn261.00
      01-13-2023, 10:45 PM   #10
DavesZupra4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradocks View Post
So….what was the name of the BMW-driving soccer mom who rear ended you at the stop light?
IT was a moron in a Mercedes suv who was too busy looking at fuking Lamborghinis parked in calabasas and decided to start driving while I was turning left in the parking lot and hit my previous BSM Z4 M40i. Stupid idiot said "I was looking at the Lamborghinis". Moron didn't pay attention, and now my BSM Z4 is gone replaced with an AW z4. What is wrong with people. And I can't stand strictly suv drivers who buy status brand suv's either. Sure if you have a proper race/track car AND a brand name suv fine. But these people buy suv's and talk abojt "performance" as if they axtually can drive and use the "performance" properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
What? Maybe switch to decalf and stop drinking. If what other people do, that has zero impact on you, "pisses" you off, you should re-evaluate your life.
If everyone was amazing on thr track, accidents and traffic would be gone OVERNIGHT. Suddenly you wouldn't have morons freaking out the moments theres more than 1 car around them causing them to slow down or brake unnecessarily leading to a chain of breaking and traffic, or crash. Everyone would be comfortable going 80-100mph+ within 1 car length or less from each other and NEVER crash unless suddenly two or more wheels exploded randomly.

They wouldn't hog up the left lane either and respect people's desire to pass whether they're doing 85 or 155. But no they're awful drivers who panic or make idiotic mistakes, then go around saying "speeding causes accidents" (which sometimes they're right when it's some young guy trying to act like a "pro racer" but is driving like a maniac basically in a straight line on a highway and one single surprise and their minds don't know how to get out of the situation whereas a real pro would, ans they crash due to their speed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Damn, I actually read that rant!
M2 track weekend starts tomorrow, whohoo!
Yea baby enjoy. I always seem to miss out on bmw track days even though I've been invited many many times since like 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
As much as I love driving the M5, I know most people don't even see it. I could be driving the lowest model, and it'd all be the same. No one cares really... except other enthusiasts. I'm met with a symphony of crickets whenever I park and get out.

But this reality is what always made me laugh about fake badges. The only people that would recognize the significance of a higher model are the same people that are going to notice something isn't right. Regular drivers will see a badge and just go on thinking random things.
America hands out licenses way too quickly. They also allow people to fail over and over and over until one time they get a barely passing grade and have a license. This is why accidents are high but in Germany people can drive as fast as they want with barely any accidents (even then it's foreigners in Germany who have no clue wtf they're doing and cause the accident by changing into the fast lane without checking first as usual).

There should be a mandatory MINIMUM 6 month wait and proof of a month minimum of classes and driving on a track if they fail more than twice. They also should have to all take classes driving on tracks nearby other cars and know how to drive inches behind another car and know how and when to brake or respond without crashing. They also need to learn that the rightmost lane is slowest traffic, and each lane consecutively to the left is faster and the leftmost is passing only and not lwell I'm doing the speed limit or in doing 5-10 over and I'm not moving out the way because I'm a real tough man and I'm not a bich if I move over it would make me feel submissive so Ill be a douchebag and clog the left lane".

They also need to learn to drive in curvy back roads properly and quickly. Way too often do I encounter people scared in canyon roads going unbelievably slow, and have the audacity to feel like they don't have to fuking move out of the way because these idiots think just becaue they're stupid, they need to make everyone tolerate their stupidity and accept it. Seriously when I see corners I get excited. They need to learn to have an average speed of at least 70 in very curvy roads

Last edited by DavesZupra4; 01-13-2023 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 06:50 AM   #11
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
IT was a moron in a Mercedes suv who was too busy looking at fuking Lamborghinis parked in calabasas and decided to start driving while I was turning left in the parking lot and hit my previous BSM Z4 M40i. Stupid idiot said "I was looking at the Lamborghinis". Moron didn't pay attention, and now my BSM Z4 is gone replaced with an AW z4. What is wrong with people. And I can't stand strictly suv drivers who buy status brand suv's either. Sure if you have a proper race/track car AND a brand name suv fine. But these people buy suv's and talk abojt "performance" as if they axtually can drive and use the "performance" properly

If everyone was amazing on thr track, accidents and traffic would be gone OVERNIGHT. Suddenly you wouldn't have morons freaking out the moments theres more than 1 car around them causing them to slow down or brake unnecessarily leading to a chain of breaking and traffic, or crash. Everyone would be comfortable going 80-100mph+ within 1 car length or less from each other and NEVER crash unless suddenly two or more wheels exploded randomly.

They wouldn't hog up the left lane either and respect people's desire to pass whether they're doing 85 or 155. But no they're awful drivers who panic or make idiotic mistakes, then go around saying "speeding causes accidents" (which sometimes they're right when it's some young guy trying to act like a "pro racer" but is driving like a maniac basically in a straight line on a highway and one single surprise and their minds don't know how to get out of the situation whereas a real pro would, ans they crash due to their speed).

Yea baby enjoy. I always seem to miss out on bmw track days even though I've been invited many many times since like 2012

America hands out licenses way too quickly. They also allow people to fail over and over and over until one time they get a barely passing grade and have a license. This is why accidents are high but in Germany people can drive as fast as they want with barely any accidents (even then it's foreigners in Germany who have no clue wtf they're doing and cause the accident by changing into the fast lane without checking first as usual).

There should be a mandatory MINIMUM 6 month wait and proof of a month minimum of classes and driving on a track if they fail more than twice. They also should have to all take classes driving on tracks nearby other cars and know how to drive inches behind another car and know how and when to brake or respond without crashing. They also need to learn that the rightmost lane is slowest traffic, and each lane consecutively to the left is faster and the leftmost is passing only and not lwell I'm doing the speed limit or in doing 5-10 over and I'm not moving out the way because I'm a real tough man and I'm not a bich if I move over it would make me feel submissive so Ill be a douchebag and clog the left lane".

They also need to learn to drive in curvy back roads properly and quickly. Way too often do I encounter people scared in canyon roads going unbelievably slow, and have the audacity to feel like they don't have to fuking move out of the way because these idiots think just becaue they're stupid, they need to make everyone tolerate their stupidity and accept it. Seriously when I see corners I get excited. They need to learn to have an average speed of at least 70 in very curvy roads

Maybe some counseling for you, too
Appreciate 5
NYBulldog1310.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
to_riffic3023.50
      01-14-2023, 07:35 AM   #12
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i would like licenses to be tougher to get. it should be an earned privilege and not a right. guns too. problem is that this would never happen. so you're wasting time writing all this out

stop worrying about others. there is nothing positive that comes out of it.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2023, 08:54 AM   #13
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharkins10 View Post
Who cares what motivations anyone has for what car they buy? Good and bad drivers are out there regardless of expensive car or not.

Just do your thing, I don’t stress about this sort of thing but that’s me. You don’t need to be a race car driver to own a BMW and if it makes someone feel good to pose with their car, do your thing.
It can't be said better than this.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2023, 09:24 AM   #14
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

you can buy whatever you want to buy... thats the way it goes... for whatever reason.

Driving skill and not being a dumbass is an entirely different skillset irrelevant of status etc.
      01-14-2023, 10:26 AM   #15
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:

Someone is throwing rocks in glass houses.

Perhaps counseling? Some say that helps I don’t know. I suspect most people in your situation just drink heavily. I definitely don’t recommend that. Try counseling.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 03:47 PM   #16
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Will 2023 be the year Silky is finally dethroned?
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
whyzee1251662.00
chris7197331.50
yousefnjr6154.50
      01-14-2023, 04:28 PM   #17
BobBMWX3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 22

Buying a car for status does not make them a bad driver or accident prone. We should not care about why a person purchases their car. To each their own.

I am sorry to hear about your accident. It does suck that your car was destroyed. But the person driving a Merc could have been driving anything. Bad drivers be bad drivers regardless of the car or the reason for purchase.

We dont need special classes to drive on the roads. Driving is a simple thing. People hogging the left lane, pulling out early, not getting to speed on a ramp wont be fixed with years of classes. Sure, driving at speed on back roads and having a class for it would maximize their ability, but it is not needed for everyday driving.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2023, 04:50 PM   #18
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBMWX3 View Post
We dont need special classes to drive on the roads. Driving is a simple thing. People hogging the left lane, pulling out early, not getting to speed on a ramp wont be fixed with years of classes. Sure, driving at speed on back roads and having a class for it would maximize their ability, but it is not needed for everyday driving.
The data says otherwise.
Saint Lucia requirements for drivers license? Be 18. No test. No classes. Death rate per 100,000 vehicles? 2103

United States? Varies by state. But especially young drivers at least a class and a test. Death rate per 100,000 vehicles? 14

Finland? Most difficult place on earth to get a license. Extensive training. Includes skidpad and icy condition training. Death rate per 100,000 vehicles? 5

Is 9 people per 100,000 cars worth the extra training U.S. versus Finland? I dunno. Ask some people whose family member have been killed by a young driver who didn't know what to do when the car started going out of control. That's a subjective answer.

Shawn
Appreciate 4
      01-14-2023, 05:23 PM   #19
M3coco
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3m

😂 I have a great therapist I can recommend. Who gives a shit why other people buy their car. Not any of my concern. There are always going to be brand-whores out there.
Appreciate 1
fmzip1649.50
      01-14-2023, 06:50 PM   #20
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
What was the acceptable reason you bought your Z4 OP?
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2023, 07:01 PM   #21
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i / 2016 228i

Sounds like your buddy just bought a nicer car than you I take it?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 07:51 PM   #22
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
What was the acceptable reason you bought your Z4 OP?
He didn't know he needed a coupe for curvy roads.
Appreciate 0