2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Damage from a tire that blew in front of me on the freeway

01-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
SirNicholas
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 535i

Damage from a tire that blew in front of me on the freeway

A few days ago a tire blew in front of me on the freeway and I had no time to react and drove right over it. I had a front hamann lip that is now shattered () and the front of the bumper is scraped up and needs a paintjob (but no replacement is needed since there appears to be no damage). The car also swerved onto the shoulder and launched rocks at my hood and windshield (made a nasty thud sound upon impact). I don't see any big scrapes on the hood luckily, but windshield had two little dings. I didn't really see them at first, but after inspecting more closely next morning, the crack had expanded (). A dollar still covers the crack though, so maybe they can fill it in?

Anyway, I've heard insurance companies insist on aftermarket windshields if it needs to be replaced. Is this true? Can I insist on OEM?

Will this be a single charge or two charges: one for body work and another for the windshield replacement? Will they cover the hamann lip?

This is comprehensive right? Will that jack up the insurance premium?

Oh man, what a great welcome by Seattle and the rain here
      01-20-2017, 11:44 PM   #2
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Next to NYC, Seattle is the best place to get your car destroyed.

Your insurance should cover all damages all at once. You are out of luck with the lip as it is an after market accessory and it won't be covered unless you specifically claimed it on your insurance paperwork.

It is a good idea to have a beater car for a daily commute with the mess and all the idiots we have around here.

GL with repairs.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

unless the windshield is cracked i think a knick/chip the insurance won't replace it unless they consider it unsafe?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

get windshield repaired and buy new lip just because of insurance going up
      01-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
SirNicholas
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
get windshield repaired and buy new lip just because of insurance going up
Does a comprehensive claim raise the premium though? I wasn't at fault
      01-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
SirNicholas
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Next to NYC, Seattle is the best place to get your car destroyed.

Your insurance should cover all damages all at once. You are out of luck with the lip as it is an after market accessory and it won't be covered unless you specifically claimed it on your insurance paperwork.

It is a good idea to have a beater car for a daily commute with the mess and all the idiots we have around here.

GL with repairs.
Thanks man. You always come through with Seattle advice

You're right, I never told them about the lip unfortunately. I'll probably upgrade to another lip, but the rest should hopefully be covered. Planning to ask for paintjob of front bumper + windshield.
      01-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirNicholas View Post
Does a comprehensive claim raise the premium though? I wasn't at fault
No Idea sorry
      01-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #8
Darryl79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
unless the windshield is cracked i think a knick/chip the insurance won't replace it unless they consider it unsafe?
Or, at least for USAA and more perhaps, they won't REPLACE it unless it is in direct line of sight of the driver. They will only fill/repair it.
      01-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl79 View Post
Or, at least for USAA and more perhaps, they won't REPLACE it unless it is in direct line of sight of the driver. They will only fill/repair it.
I know on my truck I had a chip in it from a tool flying out of some guys work truck and it hit me directly in sight view. Geico at that time refused to give me a new windshield and said my only option was to have it filled. You know that chemical they just apply over the chip to prevent it from causing future cracks?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #10
Darryl79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I know on my truck I had a chip in it from a tool flying out of some guys work truck and it hit me directly in sight view. Geico at that time refused to give me a new windshield and said my only option was to have it filled. You know that chemical they just apply over the chip to prevent it from causing future cracks?
Hmm, I guess not all of them are created equal. That's unfortunate.